Last cycle last week before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last cycle last week before surgery Last cycle last week before surgery

Unread 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Last cycle last week before surgery

I had pre-ops today. Next Monday is the day of my surgery.

I lost, scared and nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Re: Last cycle last week before surgery

Deep breath, sweetie. I know the pre-op visit really hammers it home - hey this is really going to happen!

Being nervous and scared regarding this surgery is very normal. It is MAJOR SURGERY. Of course you are feeling frightened. The doctors and nurses will take very good care of you - they don't want any thing to happen to you either. They are all well trained professionals, and they will see you through this.

And the ladies on this site will also support you, both pre-op and post-op. We will get you through this difficult time.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM

I have my pre-op tomorrow and my surgery is less than a week away. I suffer from severe anxiety and am getting nervous and know I'll have a panic attack at the hospital (I always do before surgery). I've had 3 c-sections, so I have a good idea what I'm in for. Coming from that perspective I can tell you this too shall pass. It will feel so much better to be on the other side. Look at this as a huge, enormous bridge that's over a gigantic intimidating gorge. Looking across the bridge and knowing there is no other way to get to the other side can be nerve racking. Crossing the bridge and looking down is terrifying. But getting across to the other side is a huge relief.

Today I'm on my period and the cramps are terrible and totally reminding me why I need this done. Remember the symptoms that are driving you to the hyster and hold on to that as your motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Hi there,

I also have been having my period and my surgery is scheduled for Thursday. Just having it right before surgery is probably a blessing, because it reminded me of what I won't have to deal with from now on! it's painful, messy, and lasts nearly all month. Plus, I won't have to deal with all the pain from ovulation and ovaries stuck to my uterus with scar tissue! I'm hoping people stop asking me when the baby is due too, because I'm completely bloated.

I'm not super nervous, because I've had plenty of surgery and I know what that is going to feel like (not nearly as bad as most people think). I'm a little nervous about the HRPT and getting everything just right so I don't strangle someone.

Just think of all the relief you'll have after this is over, and you can actually have your life back!!
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Anything unknown is scary - and having bits and pieces of your body removed is really scary. However, afterwards, life goes on, and you will heal. I am less than one week post total laparoscopic and while I would be lying if I said I feel great, it's not horrible. Maybe I have been lucky, but I imagined it would be a lot worse than it has been. Think having a painful period plus a bit of the flu - not nice, but not agony. I have found that getting up and trying to do something, even minor, makes you feel more normal. Take a shower as soon as you can, put on clean real clothing, not just PJs, read the paper, etc. - get back into real life. Very wise advice I found about making sure you had a body pillow already for you at home for trying to sleep (bought mine for about $12 at Walmart) and some undies that are much bigger than your usual size helps make this all more comfortable (again, an inexpensive 5 pack at Walmart serves the purpose). Then I heard about getting one of those maternity support belts - they make them for pregnant women and those who had csections - like a wide 8" belt with velcro at the front, that goes under all the painful parts, and holds you in a bit, like a third hand underneath. My husband picked that up for me at Babies R US - it really helps when you start to walk around. Those are the three things I found very useful. Patience is something many of us have forgotten about in our busy lives - but you will heal, and this will all be but a weird memory in a few months, I hope.
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Great advice! I think getting up and trying to get life back to as normal as you safely can in the quickest time is huge.

Obviously you shouldn't do anything physically harmful or against Drs orders post surgery... take it easy, but also try not to lay in bed for weeks and weeks and just watch TV in your jammies. I had a friend that had this done last year, and she got very depressed and ended up not being able to work or do much of anything for 10 weeks or so post surgery. Most of the problem was just related to her mental state. Once she forced herself to get up and start moving around, and getting her mind active, she felt much better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register