What about all the stuff on the wweb (negative) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What about all the stuff on the wweb (negative) What about all the stuff on the wweb (negative)

Unread 07-13-2002, 09:06 PM
What about all the stuff on the wweb (negative)

I just checked out a couple of other sites and they are all so negative about hysterectomy. They say other organs will fall out of the place, sex will be deifferent if not impossible, etc. Am I making a mistake. I'm terrified as it is. I am really starting to feel despressed even though I know my fibroid is laarge and I really don't have another option. I keep thinking, but I feel fine. I only have two days left. Somehow I feel like I won't be the same after the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2002, 09:17 PM

I'm not sure what the motivation is behind those sites. Some may have alternative "therapies" to offer. Others may be run by women who had a bad experience with a hyst - perhaps their doctor told them they *had to* have one, and later they found out there may have been other things they could have tried first. Those sites are honestly trying to save others from the same problems. Just be sure you "consider the source".

It's strange, but you never see those kinds of sites about having babies. Look at how many women here need hysts or repair work because of having babies - women who can hardly walk because their uteri are in various stages of prolapse. But you never hear "Oh my gosh, don't get pregnant! Your organs will fall, and you'll get fat, and your personality will change, and sex will never be the same again", like you hear about hysts. Hmmm.

In either case, the only thing to do is to consider the risks and benefits in your own situation, and your own desires and priorities, and do what suits you best.
Unread 07-13-2002, 10:24 PM

Obviously you're going to find out all kinds of information (good and bad) on the web. Imagine my panic when my doc wanted to give me Lupron shots (2 one month shots) and when I typed "Lupron" in the Google search engine I got information regarding how Lupron had ruined people's lives!

It's always good to look for all the information you can get, but always take it with a grain of salt (just because it's in print doesn't mean it's true). I trust the honesty and support of the ladies here! But you also need to feel secure in your decision and your doctor.

s kiddo, we're here for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2002, 03:36 AM

Hi Jittery,

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer which is why I was then scheduled for my TAH BSO. I started doing an internet search for my diagnosis and my goodness, I thought I would be gone from this earth in a very short time!

I'm so glad that I continued my internet search and found this site. Reading about other women's real life experiences and survival made all the difference to me and helped with my recovery and peace of mind.

I am cancer free and truly, I have not had any negative problems associated with my surgery that I have not been able to live with. Sex was as good as ever. I did try not taking HRT for about 6 months to see how I would feel, but I developed symptoms that I didn't like, including constant hot flashes, so back onto the HRT and those symptoms were gone

Having a hysterectomy is a major surgery and should never be decided upon lightly, especially if there are other alternatives. However, once you have made an informed decision and trust the decision that you and your Dr. have made, then in my opinion, it's time to look forward. I think that all of us are very nervous during our pre-op stage and that is quite normal.

Best wishes and many s
Unread 07-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Jittery

I know what you mean. When the Dr. told me I needed a hyst. I started searching the web for all the info I could find. Most of it was soooo negative. Lots of "don't do it!" out there, and lots of scary stuff too.

I didn't find this site until a few weeks before my surgery, and then I spent all my free time here! I read everything, especially the "home from the castle" stories. They gave me the hard, factual information I needed about the surgery itself. Even the "bad experiences" taught me something, even while they scared me!

The problem with the "don't do it" sites is they don't give you much of an alternative. Most of the ladies here have already gone through years of different therapy to control, moderate or relieve symptoms. A lot have come to the decision to have a hyst the hard way. Maybe years ago hysts were being prescribed by Drs. who just wanted a complicated case out of their hands, but today woman are more active in their care and take part in the decision that hyst is right for them. I resent anyone who tells me the hyst. was not needed and that there were "other ways"!

So stay with this site! Here the ladies tell it like it is, good or bad. But we don't preach for or against the procedure. We just give our own life experiences for you to choose or ignore as you like.

As for being jittery, please believe that waiting is truly the hardest part (with the first week post-op a close second!) Once the surgery is over and the healing begins, you will feel wonderful. Keep reminding yourself why you choose the hysterectomy route. And yes you won't be the same after the surgery, but in most cases you are better!!!!
Unread 07-14-2002, 06:33 AM
negatives

Hi jittery,
Its been almost two years since my surgery (tah bso). I have to honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. I feel great!!!
No problems with hormones, parts are not falling out, and sex is better than ever (dont have to worry about periods,or feeling crampy and bloated, no worries about pregnancy etc. ) there are many positives too. I was terrified about surgery too. This site will help answer all of your questions. It really helped me out. These people will help you get through . Good luck .
babs
Unread 07-14-2002, 06:45 AM

{{{{JITTERY}}}}

It's true, every site has its own agenda. Different people's experiences dictate their perspective on any issue, and if they've had bad experiences I guess that would be their motiviation.

The only way to make the right decision for YOU is to talk to several doctors, do lots of research, and consider carefully. No surgery is without risk, and no one can guarantee a trouble-free outcome for you. But if your current medical situation is untenable and if your quality of life is compromised, this might be the right choice for you. MOST women have excellent outcomes, with much improved lives, healthy and satisfying sex, and elimination of most of their related medical issues. Some women have less than good outcomes.

Read all you can on this site, because we have a fair percentage of BOTH kinds of outcomes here. Talk to doctors you trust. And then make the right choice for YOU. We will all be here to help you no matter what your questions are or what choices you may make.

Please let us know how you are and what you're thinking!!!!

Karen
Unread 07-14-2002, 07:27 AM
right there with you!

Jittery,

I am scheduled for Tuesday too! All I can do today is think and cry! Poor DH, he doesn't know what to do or say to help. Second, third, fourth thoughts. Am I doing the right thing?... My pain isn't THAT bad... Maybe I should put this off for another year or two!

My friends are taking me out for lunch (my last real food until after surgery!) today. I'm going to try to stay away from high fiber and "gassy" foods. AND, I will be back on this site again when I get home! I need the words of support and understanding. I think I might actually go crazy otherwise!

We'll get through this! I keep trying to remember, "the waiting is the hardest part!"

Andrea
Unread 07-14-2002, 08:16 AM
Jittery and Andrea

I too am scheduled for Tuesday, I also saw all the negative sites out there a few weeks ago, and after finding this site my mind, and nerves were put to ease. I have read the stories and postings here and am sure I am doing the right thing, I feel much more informed... Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and support.
Unread 07-14-2002, 09:20 AM

Although I know some people have bad experiences or want to plug alternative measures it still irks me to read negative comments because I think it gives women something false to fear.

I'm an AOL user and post on the uterine fibroid message boards There is another poster who constantly writes about how ALL doctors will force a hysterectomy and how this is *fact*. I've challenged her numerous times to provide proof of these bold claims such as links to articles or medical studies and each time she fails to respond. Meanwhile other posters are running scared.

There will always be pros and cons for everything. We must choose what's right for us and not be influenced by what others think or write.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register