Is anyone else opting for the Supracervical Laparascopic Hyst? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone else opting for the Supracervical Laparascopic Hyst? Is anyone else opting for the Supracervical Laparascopic Hyst?

Unread 07-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Is anyone else opting for the Supracervical Laparascopic Hyst?

Is it true that this procedure is not readily available in some areas? I have read through some older posts and from what I have been able to gather this is a newer procedure, less invasive, faster recovery I guess usually you don't even need stitches. My Dr. even has offered this to me as an outpatient procedure!

My doctor assures me that I will be happiest with the outcome of this procedure. He told me that he has performed the surgery on Friday and run into some of his patients shopping the same weekend?! I said that would not be me, I want to be in the hospital with all the meds handy. He's only giving me a pain patch post op. I really hope it works, so sick of pain.

I am going in for my pre-op on Monday any questions that you ladies can think of that I should ask this doctor? My DH did ask him how many times he had done this procedure, he didn't give us an exact number, but assured us he has extensive experience in laparascopy, he is also a psychologist and so gentle and calming. I feel so lucky to have found him, I have called as many nurses and people I know in the industry and everyone assures me he is wonderful and competent.

SLH 7/19/02 massive bleeding, large fibroids, pain in back, legs, lethargy, insomnia (I am a mess!!) keeping cervix and ovaries hope that is the right choice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2002, 01:31 AM

You are a lucky woman. You found a doctor you like and trust who does this amazing procedure. I wanted to have this operation, but I am in Australia and only found one surgeon who was very far away, who could do it. I researched my options obsessively and definitely decided on supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy as the best option. What I do not understand is that the recovery of all the internal work should heal so much faster. My incisions have all healed up by now, the biggest wound, where the morcelator went in is about 1cm, the 3 other ones, are almost invisible, no stitches. Still to go home straight after would have felt bad to me, I quiet liked having my vitals, checked, a little temperature detected... I went home when all my systems where working properly again ie bladder and bowel. I was home within 36 hours. By the way, I ended up up having a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy.
Good luck to you.
Natalie
Unread 07-12-2002, 07:56 AM
suracervical lavh??

Are you sure that your dr is leaving the cervix?? It is my understanding that even with lavh (as opposed to tvh) that the cervix must be removed. Believe me, I asked & my doc is really up to date on all the latest.

Just curious!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2002, 09:12 AM

I requested my cervix stay intact, the doctor said it is possible. That will be a good question to clarify on Monday.

Nat, you said you had a supracervical, did they leave your cervix intact? I am glad you found someone in Australia (my family is originally from Melbourne). My doctor moved here central coast of CA five years ago from Beverly Hills, I am sure there they demand to have "the latest"!

I am having the abdominal incisions, he didn't offer the vaginal, I think my uteris is too big. My doctor is too polite to tell me how big I am!

Thanks to you both for your support and input.

SLH 7/19/02 keeping ovaries
Unread 07-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Me, too!

LAVH takes the whole uterus, including the cervix.

LSH takes just the top part of the uterus, leaving the cervix.

LSH is newer than LAVH, so there are not as many doc's who are trained in this procedure.

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-12-2002, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification - That's what I love about this site: the info is so up to date.

Good luck *lahjontay* on your surgery!
Unread 07-12-2002, 05:59 PM

My story is actually a bit upsetting. I signed a form saying 'laparoscopic hysterectomy' not only assuming but also double checking this means: a 'supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy'. My dr then did a LAVH instead meaning he removed the uterus plus cervix (there is no way to leave the cervix with a vaginal) through the vagina without consulting me. He is a lucky man that I am recovering so well. I still do not know how much he cut of the top of my vagina, because i have not really made love yet. So be careful girls. I thought I would be riding my horses by now and ******* my brains out, and I can not because the removal of the cervix and to have the procedure done vaginally takes a lot longer to heal. So this is Australia for you, you ask and sign for one thing, you get another and you do not complain, or you will be called a 'sissy' or worse...
Your dr sounds very genuine though. Good Luck and blessings.
Natalie
Unread 07-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Happy with my LSH

I'm lucky to live near a surgeon with lots of LSH experience - over 200 LSH and laparoscopic myometomies. Boy, I'd be more than mad if he'd done an LAVH instead!

The surgery took about 2 and 1/2 hours, including cytology (sp) to make sure there were no bladder or ureter injuries. I stayed at the surgery center for only 4 hours after the surgery. I was sore for the first week, less so every week now. I still have swelly belly and get sharp pains if I bend over without making sure my knees are east and west. I was in less pain than before the surgery within a week.

I'm also lucky to have a peach of a DSO who took care of me and everything else.
Unread 07-15-2002, 09:22 AM
any and all info

Adenomyosis, submucal (sp) fibroids, endometrial polyps. Scheduling a hysteroscopy for Sept.
For fibroid Doc offers addressing them during the hysteroscopy with surgery as much as possible. Lupron, Thermal ablasion, possible LAVH. I want to keep as much of my body parts as I can!
So not LAVH? Advantages to keeping cervix? Disadvantages? Did have ab. pap but that seems due to all the uterine stuff going on (dysplasia and inflammation "severe").

Things I might try in the meantime?

I'm taking Alesse (low-est. bcp) MSM, DHEA. Not real severe pain but increasing and my whole system is not working right. Lots of headaches and all over pain. IBS periodically. No periods and breakthrough bleeding and so on and so on.

Long history of PMS, all over body pain, terrible pain crash upon giving birth (pain absent during preg. but whew the nausea!). 3 c-sec babies (labor just didn't get me there).

Also low grade fever for last 5 days....something to fret about?

Jules
Unread 07-15-2002, 09:42 AM

You can check out this link. Some that have kept cervix report mini-periods since the cervix is part of the uterus, about the size of a coat button and can bleed. If you have endo or adeno you may not want to keep the cervix because there has been a study that the endo or adeno can be in the cervix and still cause pain and problems. Good luck.

Here are a couple of links that discussed adeno or endo and keeping cervix issues.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...omyosis+cervix

Here's another link. One woman who had a normal pap had the cervix removed and the path showed stage one cervical cancer. But always remember if the cervix is taken out, it is still advisable to continue getting paps to rule out vaginal cancer.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...omyosis+cervix

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register