Adenomyosis how do I get rid of it and keep my Uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis how do I get rid of it and keep my Uterus Adenomyosis how do I get rid of it and keep my Uterus

Unread 01-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Adenomyosis how do I get rid of it and keep my Uterus

Is there someone that can tell me if there is any other treatment for Adenomyosis other than a Hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Adenomyosis how do I get rid of it and keep my Uterus

Hi Gretta & welcome,
Kudos to you for researching any & all your available treatment options Unfortunately, it's just been recently that Drs are looking into other less invasive treatments of this disease. This was one of the many reasons for my own Hyst 4 yrs ago but there were not the alternative options that there are available today. Here are some links to some sites discussing various treatments for Adeno, I hope they can be of some help:

Uterine Fibroid Embolization

Adenomyosis

Endometriosis & Adenomyosis

Treatment of Adenomyosis

Quote:
The treatment options for adenomyosis are similar to those of endometriosis:
  • 1._ Observation is an acceptable option if the symptoms are not severe.

2._ Medical treatment includes birth control pills and GnRH agonists such as Lupron or Synarel. The pills will lighten the period and thus symptoms. The GnRH agonists will temporarily alleviate the symptoms and reduce the size of the adenomyosis. They will not eliminate the adenomyosis nor prevent continued growth once the GnRH is discontinued.

3._ Conservative surgical treatment with preservation of the uterus. It is impossible to remove all of the adenomyosis and preserve the uterus. Removal of fibroids (a different condition from adenomyosis) and reconstruction of the uterus during a myomectomy is successful because fibroids are discrete lesions which can be completely removed. Small microscopic fibroid "seedlets" can remain and are one reason fibroids can recur after a myomectomy. If fibroids do recur after a myomectomy, it is usually many years later. In contrast the adenomyosis is so diffuse that an adenomyomectomy (removal of the adenomyosis with reconstruction of the uterus) will reduced the amount of adenomyosis present but by the nature of the lesion a significant amount usually remains in the uterus. Chances are, the patient will need to undergo additional surgery within a couple of years. A woman who is trying to get pregnant or the unusual case with a single well defined adenomyoma may be candidates for conservative surgical treatment. Conservative surgical treatment may also be an acceptable option for a woman who philosophically does not want a hysterectomy and does not mind undergoing repeated surgeries to maintain what is admittedly a diseased organ.

4._Definitive surgical treatment with hysterectomy. This is the only option to truly remove or cure the patient of this medical problem. A patient with adenomyosis can also have endometriosis. If endometriosis is present it should be treated prior to actually removing the uterus. The ovaries are responsible for hormone production and will continue to do so after a hysterectomy. Having a hysterectomy is never a decision which should be taken lightly. Too many hysterectomies have been performed in the past, but others wrongs should not influence or prevent you from doing what is right for you. This is a medical condition which, if symptomatic, will usually require the removal of a diseased organ (hysterectomy) to obtain relief from the symptoms while avoiding the real possibility of repetitive surgeries.
http://www.drcook.com/adca14.html
Good Luck Pls keep us posted....(((hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register