Is hysterectomy a drastic solution? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is hysterectomy a drastic solution? Is hysterectomy a drastic solution?

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Is hysterectomy a drastic solution?

Hello fellow sisters! I've been reading threads here for a few weeks, but this is my first time posting.

I would like to see if any others out there are in or had situations similar to mine and what you chose to do / how things turned out.

I've been talking to my GP for 8 or 9 years about heavy periods, which have been getting progressively worse year over year. For all of this time, my GP has minimized my concerns. She offered birth control, but my family history precludes this as a viable option. Last year, she said, "your uterus seems a little large, but that's normal as you age." OK - so I've been feeling like my condition is something to just deal with and that I'm probably being a whiner.

I finally went to a gyn a few months ago because I'm passing enormous clots and can't leave home at least 1 day a month for fear of being away from a bathroom for more than an hour. I went in seeking an ablation because I had heard that could help my problem. To my surprise, my gyn found 2 fairly large fibroids (5x4cm & 4x3cm), plus several smaller ones (1cm). She said my uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnancy. We discussed my options (ablation not likely to work b/c of the size of fibroids, myomectomy, etc.). My understanding is that my gyn will do a myomectomy if I choose, but the fibroids will likely return. She recommended a da Vinci hysterectomy, with the qualifier that, "your uterus is pretty large but I can probably sneak it out vaginally." She also indicated that they will likely continue to grow and I may lose the minimally invasive option if I wait.

Since this time, I have started noticing some other symptoms that can probably be attributed to this: low back ache, sometimes tingling toes, [infrequent] incontinence when I sneeze, and a somewhat prolapsed uterus. Seems like I have had this stuff sneak up on me and I've attributed it to getting older and gaining weight.

So now I am in limbo between these 2 extreme opinions - GP says no big deal, gyn says hysterectomy. Maybe it's because my trusted dr has been telling me for years that this is no big deal, but I'm feeling like hysterectomy seems pretty drastic. I'm only 35 and although I have a 17 year old with no intentions of having more kids now, I am worried about the long term side effects of a hysterectomy because I'm so young. I don't want to trade a problem that's impacting 30% of my life for a problem that will impact 100% of my life.

From all of the research I've done, it seems that many women in similar situations have had hysterectomies and are satisfied with the outcome. My surgery is scheduled, so is my second opinion appointment, but I know I'm looking at some type of surgical intervention if I want relief.

So, bottom line, can anyone tell me if my fibroids / uterus size are relatively large? I've read plenty of stories about HUGE fibroids/uterus, but wondering about less extreme cases. Anyone had my situation and waited only to wish they had taken action sooner?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Re: Is hysterectomy a drastic solution?

Statslady, Totally understand where you are at. I was there for oh so many years. I had many fibroids and some large and one had grown through my uterine wall causing a lot of pain in my back and legs each month. My uterus was over 250 grams ,which a normal uterus per my OB-GYN is about 60 grams. So mine wasn't as huge as some of the ladies here but it was big enough to push down on my bladder ALL the time .I was the official 'Pee Queen'. I put my Hyster off for years .My thinking at that time was, " oh I won't feel like a woman anymore". " I may have severe complications " neither was true .I still feel like a girl and my Di Vinci was so easy .No complications little pain ( I took no pain meds at all) and no bleeding. I was never fortunate enough to have any children so the loss of my uterus was kinda sad since that was all I had in a way but, Let me tell you once that surgery was done and about 2 days into recovery..... I KNEW I made the correct choice for me and my DH. No more pain ,no more periods no more ruined panties or bed sheets. The only thing I regretted is that I didn't do it sooner. I am battling the hot flashes and night sweats but HRT is starting to help.
Good luck and let us know if you need us.
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Hello statslady, I am 39 and I have been having very heavy and extremely painful periods for some time now and I went to gyn a year ago and we started talking about ablation and I talked to several people I knew who did that and they ended up doing that several times so I decided not to do anything. This year I was fed up with it and was going to a urogynocologist for bladder issues and he said well if you want me to put a bladder sling in while I'm there I can do a hysterectomy. I also had a prolapsed uterus and bladder. I said yes please! I am 10 days post op had a few bumps in the road w/complications but okay now. Lucky me I got my period 2 days before surgery and I said to myself and why would I not want to get rid of this! My Dr said my uterus was bigger than normal but I did not find out why so I think I might just ask. I also lived in the bathroom so I wonder if my uterus was the culprit. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM

I went to my gyn thinking I would get an ablation, but tried the Mirena first. The Mirena made me a mess and gyn told me an ablation was not a good option for me. I thought my heavy bleeding was not "bad" enough for a hysterectomy. But then gyn told me I could have one and I put it off for 1 month. After the period from hell that I thought might kill me I decided to do it. The choice to do this is totally up to you. I am 16 days post and I know it was right for me. My gyn recommended keeping my ovaries, which I did. The thought of never having to find coworkers to cover for me because of the bleeding, and never having to wear 2 - 3 pads at night and still making a mess, sure makes me happy. Very little pain and minimal scarring is so worth it. Make the choice that is best for YOU. God Bless.
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks to all! I'm positive that I want to feel better and am planning to go ahead with surgery. I'll be getting a second opinion soon just for peace of mind. Thanks again.
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM

I think you need to get your second opinion. You also need to determine how much this is impacting your daily life. I have been living with pain for years thinking once I hit menopause my fibroids may shrink if I could just stick it out. Well it hasn't improved only became worse. I went to a urologist thinking my bladder was the problem and the urologist stated your uterus is huge and your bladder and other organs are pushed up high. Here I am preparing for my DVH/BSO on Monday. Wishing you the best of luck.
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Hi statslady,

I have fibroids and they were causing bleeding and pain that was very uncomfortable but not flooring me and putting me to bed for days. So I chose an ablation. Hysterectomy is major surgery and I wanted to try the less invasive first.That was in September 2010.

Well, here I am two years down the line with multiple (much larger) fibroids, heavier bleeding, painful sex and look like I am around 6 months pregnant. I am on Norithesterone (a progesterone hormon) to try control some of the bleeding. The side affects are another story.

My hyster is next Thursday and I can't wait. I am glad I tried the less invasive but believe it made things worse. My GP advised that unless they get every single piece of the fibroid during the ablation....they will grow back. Well they have....with avengeance.

If this is affecting your daily life....it is a big deal and your GP is wrong to act that it isn't. It is a huge decision and is major surgery so you have to be sure that it is right for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register