Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have? Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have?

Unread 10-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have?

6 days ago I was diagnosed with endometritis and I was given antibiotics (metronidazole and Doxycycline) and they seem like there not working. My symptoms are pelvic pain lower back pain abdominal pain weakness headaches vaginal discharge, chest pain, muscle pain. Can any body please explain what endometritis is and what other options do I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Re: Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have?

Endometritis is inflammation of the endometrium which is caused by an infection. It can affect other organs as well. When it is unrelated to pregnancy, it is also know as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). We have an article on that which might be helpful: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Sometimes, IV antibiotics and fluids are required. Did your doctor mention if that would be your next step if the oral meds don't work? A D&C is sometimes performed to remove the endometrium and hopefully the infection. Only in rare cases is a hysterectomy used as treatment, and it is only done when other treatments have failed. If the infection has spread to other organs, a hysterectomy would not be a cure. The infection in all areas would need to be treated.

Unread 10-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have?

Thank you for replying I actually had my baby two months ago but about two weeks ago I started to notice that I had pelvic pain and I went to the emergency room and they told me that I had endometritis they gave me three antibiotics one of them was through a IV and sent me home with antibiotics but it seem like they are not working. I'm still having pelvic pain and clear/white discharge. So I went and got checked by my obgyn and he said that he didn't see any swelling anymore just to keep drinking my antibiotics. So I don't know what to do Should I be worried? What is a D&C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Re: Endometritis - what is it and what options do I have?

Sounds like yours is considered related to your recent pregnancy. Following pregnancy, the issue can be that there was retained placenta. A D&C is dilation and curettage and it could be used to remove any remaining tissues from your pregnancy if that is the source of the infection Here is an article on D&C: D & C (Dilation and Curettage).

I can't say if you should be worried or not, but as you are concerned you should be staying in touch with your doctor. I would be asking when I should be seeing improvement and what can be done if improvement is not seen. If you find your pain increases and/or you have a fever, get in touch with your doctor immediately.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register