belly already swollen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

belly already swollen belly already swollen

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
belly already swollen

What if I already have a swelly belly before surgery, will it just get bigger? It's probably a silly ? but I am bloated now and was hoping surgery might take some of that away. I do need to lose weight, but bloating makes me look even bigger than i actually am. I am 43 and look prego, i am so bloated, thought I would ask anyway lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
belly already swollen

I think you will find things to be different after surgery. Of course try not to compare yourself immediately after surgery! I too was bloated and uncomfortable a lot of the time. I have to tell you, things have improved! My pooch (area below navel) swelled and was numb. There was also bruising which went away quickly. But 3 weeks post op, I've lost about 15 pounds. I still have some swelly belly, but it is different from the bloated feeling I had before.

Best wishes and
Unread 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Belly already swollen!

I can sympathize with this issue....mine is so out of control, I can't wait to get home after running errands just so I can't put on my elastic-waist lounge pants. I have gained so much weight and have the preggy-pooch and the muffin-tops! I'm sick of myself.

Hoping it all disappears after 'the trip'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
belly already swollen

I don't know if hyst will help the bloating / large abdomen. I had TAH/BSO 16 months ago and my abdomen has only gotten bigger although I'm down 8 lbs from my pre-surgery weight. I was told that my spine is compressing now that I don't have a uterus (lovely!). I did not have any uterine problems and didn't have a large abdomen before. I had a cystadenoma on my left ovary and he unnecessarily removed everything. Depending on your condition, I guess it's possible your bloating could improve but my experience has been different.
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM
belly already swollen

Yes, this swelly belly thing is SO odd compared to pre surgery. I could always 'suck in' but I find I can't do that really anymore. And I have lost a pound or two and exercise by walking LIKE A FIEND, but I do not drop weight and/or my pants seem to fit so nicely in the legs/hips but that swelly belly...........it just doesn't smush into my pants like before and I'm 5 weeks a few days post op. It can be discouraging. I agree w/the sisters above that your body will be very different after surgery and it's not the same for any of us. We are as unique in recovery as snowflakes are that fall from the sky! On the weight loss posts some people have lost 20 pounds and they are resting and maybe not eating as much (I'm not 'hungry' but w/all my walking I make sure I eat anyway and I eat healthy and count calories but just don't seem to budge that scale one way or the other).......... others of us have stayed the same.

At first I do believe your belly will swell, but you will find as the weeks pass that it will lesson. Try not to worry too much now. Take it easy and just know it'll 'be a surprise' after you exit the castle.

Best of luck w/your surgery and healing. Take care.
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
belly already swollen

Lol i guess everyone heals differently...some women say they still have the preggo look and others say they have lost it. I'm pre-op right now...i'm not over weight...but i look and feel as though i am entering my 4th month of pregnancy!!!!! I've started to wear those empire waistline shirts (thank god they are all in style) haha I'm only 27 years old, but when ppl look at me and say...oh when are you expecting........you can immagine how horrified that makes me!!! LOL I am just hoping that once all of this is over, I can get back to the body i once loved!
I mean sometimes looking pregnant is cute....WHEN YOUR ACTUALLY PREGNANT!!!! hahah Anyways ladies....lets all keep our heads up! We're all in this together!
Cheers!!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
belly already swollen

Oh man I know how that fells by the end of the day my tummy swells sooo bad and I generally gain around 10 pounds of water weight every day. All in my tummy!!! Ugh I cannot wait for that to go away!! Good luck I am the same day as you so I will think of you!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
belly already swollen

Yogipooky, I can't wait until you are home from the castle to see how your water weight goes. It's true I'm pretty swelly still at night and can lose five pounds by the next morning thru bathroom runs/'etc'...........take care and good luck w/your surgery.
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM
belly already swollen

Just be aware that if you are over weight a lot of the belly could be just that. I remember clear as it was yesterday after being hospitalized for PID asking the dr when the swelling would go down only to be told it won't unless I lose weight. That it was indeed my overweight belly and had zero to do with the infection and the surgery. Swelly belly will not last a life time

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register