bladder suspension? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bladder suspension? bladder suspension?

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM
bladder suspension?

So i was talking to a friend of my sister who is 34 and went through a tvh last year and she mentioned her doc suspended her bladder as a precaution against prolapse down the road. Is this fairly common when having the uterus/cervix removed even when you were not having bladder problems yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Re: bladder suspension?

I am having the TOT procedure done sometime in January (i think) along with a possible hysterectomy. I saw my dr yesterday and he said it is a good idea to do them together since he is already "there" and it will help me avoid issues later on. The recovery time for the TOT and the hysterectomy is the same, so you can recover from both at the same time instead of taking another 8 weeks out of your schedule a year or two later. I guess it all would depend on your personal life and how much time you are capable of taking off. I personally dont have the time to do another surgery and 8 weeks of post op in a year or two. All depends on the person.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM

It's not at all automatic to have a bladder procedure done.

I did have a bladder sling at the same time. However, I was already having stress incontinence issues. I had a very large uterus so fibroids were one factor. My doctor did a urodynamics test to try to uncover whether or not there were additional causes for the incontinence. I have a family history of issues which was another contributor.

We decided to do the procedure because every indication was that my issues went beyond fibroids.

Some women report that they simply had the hysterectomy and removal of large fibroids was sufficient to address any incontinence issues or frequent need to urinate.

It's not necessarily an overly difficult procedure to have a sling later if you need it. My aunt had one in her 50s and her recovery was 3 weeks. It was more of an issue of needing not to disrupt the tissue while she was healing.

My situation had nothing to do with prolapse, it was to address incontinence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM

My dr was thinking about doing a TOT on me as well, until he saw the results of my urodynamics test and the fact that the nurse could not make me leak. Mine is more post void dribbles than stress incontinence.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM

I am having a TOT and TVH on 12/12. I have prolapse and incontinence. Otherwise I think they would just do the tvh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register