some ovary questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

some ovary questions some ovary questions

Unread 06-22-2003, 04:35 PM
some ovary questions

Does anyone know the answers to the following:

Does the "success" of retaining ovary function after hysterectomy depend upon the skill of the dr? Do the drs all have the same procedure they follow in re-connecting severed ovaries to blood supply?

If one wishes to keep her ovaries, does she also need to decide whether or not to keep the fallopian tubes?

Do you believe that a dr who supports a woman's decision to keep ovaries would do a better job than one who is negative about woman retaining ovaries?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 06:52 PM
some ovary questions

My doctor wanted to take everything at once. I really wanted to keep the ovaries because of my age (early 40's) We both agreed together that if they looked healthy, he would leave them. I trusted him that he would make the right decision. He did keep them.

It really boils down to a matter of trust that you share with your doctor.

Im not sure about the fallopian tubes. Im not even sure if he took mine- but I do know at least one was inflamed.

I hope this helps some.

Lamb and Lion
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:56 PM
some ovary questions

Hi Jen--

Here is my

We are not medical doctors here, so there is no reasonable answer that can be given about surgicial procedures that doctors use.

I would think that if you keep your ovaries, you will keep your fallopian tubes. If your ovaries are removed, why keep the fallopian tubes?

I think most doctors will agree to not remove your ovaries if they are healthy. It's a good discussion to have with your doctor. My doc gave me the choice when I had my hysterectomy last year at age 49. If they were healthy we were going to leave them, but once he got in "there" there were cysts on both ovaries so they were removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 11:07 PM
some ovary questions

I can share with you, what I have learned. Of course, I am not a trained medical doctor and my advice is simply my opinion.

Each ovary has two ligaments which support it. One goes to the pelvic sidewall, the other to the uterus. Usually, Both ligaments supply blood to the ovary. The doctor simply assesses the anatomy and makes sure to leave a blood supply intact coming in from the pelvic sidewall to the ovary if you are keeping it. Therefore, the ovary isn't removed and reattached to a blood supply, it keeps the supply it already has. I have a great diagram, I wish I could share, that my doctor gave me when I asked about removing the ovaries, and other questions similar to yours. The above description is what he told me. This was simply his method and I do not know if it is the method of all doctors.

Whether or not the ovary goes into 'shock' temporarily after surgery depends alot on your body and how you react physically. As far as the role the doctor plays in this.. I am not sure.

As far as keeping tubes.. usually if you have your ovaries removed, the tubes are removed as well. You could speak with your doctor about tube removal even if you wish to keep your ovaries. I kept my ovaries and My doctor removed my tubes because they were scarred completely to my uterus and it was easier.

You should always ask your dr any questions you have or concerns that may be troubling you about the surgery. I think you need to have a doctor you are comfortable with in doing the procedure. Whether or not you want them to be "pro-ovary removal" will probably play a factor in deciding what doctor you choose. Having a doctor that you can put the ultimate trust in is very important.
Good luck!
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:29 AM
some ovary questions

I kept my ovaries, but if they were going to have to go, my tubes would have gone also. Because there was concern about possible cancer, my lymph nodes would have also gone. Fortunately, no cancer, so I got to keep the ovaries and everything else.

I think it's a matter of trust. You are going to be out, and your doctor is the one making an important decision. I would not been able to trust a doctor to make the right decision for me who thought that the ovaries should go. The doc who gave me my first opinion was very pro-removal -- one ovary was 10 cm and he said it was "impossible" for it to be healthy, the right ovary was hidden and he said it was likely crushed and damaged by the huge fibroid.

I didn't like his attitude, went for a second opinion, used the second doctor for my surgery. He was very pro-retaining the ovaries, if they were healthy. I trusted he'd make the best decision for me.

Bottom line, those ovaries that were impossible to be healthy were perfectly fine. The one that was hidden was a happy camper, and the one that was 10 cm just had some gunk stuck to it, making it appear larger. He just cleaned it off, and it was healthy and functioning underneath.

I had some minor night sweats for the first week after the surgery -- it could have been a number of things. But I can feel that my "cycle" is clicking along on the same calendar as before the surgery, so I have a feeling that my ovaries remained functioning and never went into "shock."
Unread 06-23-2003, 08:43 AM
some ovary questions

((jen28)),
First off, good for you for doing your research & educating yourself on the possible risks & outcomes
I had a TAH in Jan 2000 & retained both my Ovaries. Due to worsening right-sided pain, my GYN ordered an Transvaginal U/S at 12 weeks Post. It revealed a large mass on my right Ovary that was also enlarged 2-3 x's it's normal size & covered w/ blood-filled cysts. Not knowing the origin of the mass, my Dr performed a Lap/RSO. The mass turned out to be Adhesions aderring my Ovary to my vaginal cuff...due to the pain, my right Ovary was removed.
During the Hyst the blood supply to my left Ovary was altered leaving it non-functioning. I didnt find this out until after my last surgery, which was from more Hyst complications in May. I was also DX'd w/ a blood-clotting disorder that made me unable to take any form of Estrogen. I battled Surgical Menopause the best I could using supplements & various alternative meds. My experience is not the norm but never thot it would happen
to me

I have some excellent info on this as well as retaining your Ovaries..reasons why ect..hope it can be of some help!

Should I Keep My Ovaries?
http://drn4u.com/keepovaries.htm
  Quote:
The rationale for keeping the ovaries, would be to maintain a source of your own sex hormone production. It is possible that your ovaries may continue to produce adequate amounts of estrogen and testosterone until the time you would have had experienced a natural menopause. The normally functioning postmenopausal ovary also may be capable of producing significant amounts of testosterone for several years following menopause. Testosterone is the hormone is closely associated with energy levels, lean body mass, libido and sexual function. In addition, if testosterone levels are present, some of it may be converted to estrogen by a process called, "aromatization". This may be the reason that naturally menopausal women are known to have less severe menopausal symptoms and fewer negative health consequences. as contrasted to women who have had their a surgical removal of benefit in reducing the severity of menopausal symptoms.

Is there any reason I might want my ovaries removed?

There is always the argument that removing the ovary prevents the possibility of ovarian cancer. A woman has a 1 in 70 chance of developing cancer of the ovary during her lifetime. Due to a lack of symptoms initially, the presence of ovarian cancer is typically not discovered to a late stage and for this reason is often fatal. The peak incidence of ovarian cancer is between the ages of 70-80.

There is a type of ovarian cancer that is hereditary. The mutated genes responsible for most hereditary ovarian cancers have been identified, (BRCA1, BRCA2). There is a blood test available to identify carriers of this gene. Woman who are identified as having the mutated gene should consider the option of ovarian removal and non-carriers can be assured that their risk of ovarian cancer is not increased.

What are the risks of going on HRT?
I believe, assuming that HRT is given in a physiologic manner and in my view means a non-oral route of administration, specifically transdermal or subcutaneous, in doses that result in physiologic blood levels of estradiol and testosterone, the risks would be no greater than having your own source of hormone production. I prefer to prescribe non-oral regimens of estradiol and testosterone, utilizing non-oral routes of administration. This has the advantage of avoiding the "bolus, first pass" liver consequences and enzyme alterations associated with oral administration of hormones. Oral administration of HRT, is the most commonly used route of sex hormone delivery used in the world and it has been proven to be effective and safe for most women. However, my sense is that non-oral routes of administration are potentially even safer and more effective.

WHAT IS MENOPAUSE?
Strictly speaking menopause refers to that point in time that normal or physiologic menstrual bleeding stops.

WHAT ARE THE OTHER TYPES OF MENOPAUSE?

A surgical menopause or hysterectomy refers to a menopause that is induced by a surgical removal of the uterus. If the ovaries are removed at the time of surgery the fall in hormone levels of both estrogen and testosterone is sudden and severe. Testosterone plays an important part in maintaining energy levels, sex drive and in a number of other important functions. If the ovaries are not removed, they may continue to function and produce adequate levels of estrogen and testosterone, until the time that a natural menopause would have occurred. However, as it turns out, in as many as 50% of these cases, the retained ovaries cease to function normally within three years after surgery. It's easy to see why a surgical menopause/hysterectomy has a greater potential to disrupt health and the quality of life.A premature menopause refers to a menopause that occurs prior to age 45.

Additionally, menopause can be induced by chemotherapy, infection, trauma or autoimmune disease.Menopause occurs earlier in smokers and is a result of a smoking related reduction in estrogen levels.

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT MENOPAUSE?

No one "goes through menopause." When a woman becomes menopausal and hormone levels fall, she will remain hormonally deficient for the remaining 1/3 of her life span. This is a normal and expectation.

A surgical menopause or hysterectomy refers to a menopause that is induced by a surgical removal of the uterus. If the ovaries are removed at the time of surgery the fall in hormone levels of both estrogen and testosterone is sudden and severe. Testosterone plays an important part in maintaining energy levels, sex drive and in a number of other important functions. If the ovaries are not removed, they may continue to function and produce adequate levels of estrogen and testosterone, until the time that a natural menopause would have occurred. However, as it turns out, in as many as 50% of these cases, the retained ovaries cease to function normally within three years after surgery. It's easy to see why a surgical menopause/hysterectomy has a greater potential to disrupt health and the quality of life.A premature menopause refers to a menopause that occurs prior to age 45.

Additionally, menopause can be induced by chemotherapy, infection, trauma or autoimmune disease.Menopause occurs earlier in smokers and is a result of a smoking related reduction in estrogen levels.

http://drn4u.com/Menopause.htm
http://www.drmirkin.com/women/W126.htm

hormone replacement after complete hysterectomy: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...=MNI&qakey=2339

BSO:
http://www.gyndr.com/salpingo-oophorectomy.htm

Ovaries: Should I Have Them Removed? http://www.ivillagehealth.com/expert...46_526,00.html

Ovarian Failure:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1700.htm

Facts About Hormonal Replacement Therapy: http://www.healthy.net/library/books/lark/fc_a_hrt.htm

What IS Early Menopause?
http://www.earlymenopause.com/whatis.htm

SHOULD YOU GET A SECOND OPINION?
  Quote:
If surgery has been recommended to you, I think a second opinion is an excellent idea. Very few things in medicine are black or white, and there is a lot of room for differences of opinion. A number of possibilities exist after a second opinion. First, the physician you see for the second opinion may give you the exact same options as your original gynecologist. This may put your mind at ease in that you will feel sure that nothing has been overlooked. Second, the new physician may bring up other options that are available to you or give you more information to think about. Or, the physician giving the second opinion may disagree with what you have been told or even disagree with the diagnosis. For my patients who seek a second opinion, I always ask them to call and talk to me about the results of that consultation. This allows me to answer any new questions and respond to any suggestions the other physician has offered. I never feel offended if a patient wants a second opinion.When a new patient comes to see me for a second opinion, our office asks them to bring all the doctor’s notes from previous medical appointments and any test results that are relevant to the problem. If an ultrasound or MRI has already been performed, I like to look at the films myself so that I can come to my own conclusions about the diagnosis

WHAT IF YOU DECIDE SURGERY IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you decide that surgery is right for your situation, you will need to choose the doctor to perform your surgery. There are a number of factors that should influence your decision. The first is to choose a doctor who will perform a procedure that fits your particular situation and problem.
In most cases, you should have more than one option from which to choose._
The next concern is the skill of the surgeon.
How many procedures does the doctor perform a month?
How many procedures like the one you are requesting?
How many of these procedures have they performed in women with problems like your?
How many complications has the doctor had and what kind of complications were they?
Studies show that experience makes a surgeon better. Surgeons who perform procedures frequently have lower rates of complications. But surveys show that many gynecologists perform less than one major operation a month.
Choose your surgeon carefully:
It is also important to feel comfortable with your doctor. Do you get an opportunity to ask questions and are they answered? Is the doctor available?_If you decide to have surgery, another visit should be set up with the doctor you have chosen to go over the specific details of the procedure you are to have performed. Again, it is nice to have someone accompany you.

Just remember to be sure and hear the optimism in your doctor's message. This is another opportunity for you to inform and educate yourself. Learning as much as you can will help, not hurt, you.
http://www.gynsecondopinion.com/surgery.htm
Is a bilateral oophorectomy needed?

bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy

Quote:
Oophorectomy is the surgical removal of one or both ovaries. It is also called ovariectomy/Oophorectomy is performed to:
  • remove cancerous ovaries
    remove the source of estrogen that stimulates some cancers
    remove a large ovarian cyst
    excise an abscess
    treat endometriosis

Until the 1980s, women over age 40 having hysterectomies (surgical removal of the uterus) routinely had healthy ovaries and fallopian tubes removed at the same time. This operation is called a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy.
Many physicians reasoned that a woman over 40 was approaching menopause and soon her ovaries would stop secreting estrogen and releasing eggs. Removing the ovaries would eliminate the risk of ovarian cancer and only accelerate menopause by a few years.
In the 1990s, the thinking about routine oophorectomy began to change. The risk of ovarian cancer in women who have no family history of the disease is less than 1%. Meanwhile, removing the ovaries increases the risk of cardiovascular disease and accelerates unless a woman takes prescribed hormone replacements.

Precautions:

There are situations in which oophorectomy is a medically wise choice for women who have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer. However, women with healthy ovaries who are undergoing hysterectomy for reasons other than cancer should discuss with their doctors the benefits and disadvantages of having their ovaries removed at the time of the hysterectomy.
Oophorectomy is done under general anesthesia. It is performed through the same type of incision, either vertical or horizontal, as an abdominal hysterectomy. Horizontal incisions leave a less noticeable scar, but vertical incisions give the surgeon a better view of the abdominal cavity.After the incision is made, the abdominal muscles are pulled apart, not cut, so that the surgeon can see the ovaries. Then the ovaries, and often the fallopian tubes, are removed.Oophorectomy can sometimes be done with a laparoscopic procedure. With this surgery, a tube containing a tiny lens and light source is inserted through a small incision in the navel. A camera can be attached that allows the surgeon to see the abdominal cavity on a video monitor. When the ovaries are detached, they are removed though a small incision at the top of the vagina. The ovaries can also be cut into smaller sections and removed.The advantages of abdominal incision are that the ovaries can be removed even if a woman has many adhesions from previous surgery. The surgeon gets a good view of the abdominal cavity and can check the surrounding tissue for disease. A vertical abdominal incision is mandatory if cancer is suspected. The disadvantages are that bleeding is more likely to be a complication of this type of operation. The operation is more painful than a laparoscopic operation and the recovery period is longer. A woman can expect to be in the hospital two to five days and will need three to six weeks to return to normal activities.

[Aftercare:

After surgery a woman will feel discomfort. The degree of discomfort varies and is generally greatest with abdominal incisions, because the abdominal muscles must be stretched out of the way so that the surgeon can reach the ovaries.When both ovaries are removed, women who do not have cancer are started on hormone replacement therapyto ease the symptoms of menopause that occur because estrogen produced by the ovaries is no longer present. If even part of one ovary remains, it will produce enough estrogen that a woman will continue to menstruate, unless her uterus was removed in a hysterectomy.

Antibiotics are given to reduce the risk of post-surgery infection.Return to normal activities takes anywhere from two to six weeks, depending on the type of surgery. When women have cancer, chemotherapy or radiation are often given in addition to surgery. Some women have emotional trauma following an oophorectomy, and can benefit from counseling and support groups

Oophorectomy is a relatively safe operation, although, like all major surgery, it does carry some risks. These include unanticipated reaction to anesthesia, internal bleeding, blood clots, accidental damage to other organs, and post-surgery infection.
Complications after an oophorectomy include changes in sex drive, hot flashes, and other symptoms of menopause if both ovaries are removed. Women who have both ovaries removed and who do not take estrogen replacement therapy run an increased risk for cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis. Women with a history of psychological and emotional problems before an oophorectomy are more likely to experience psychological difficulties after the operation.
http://www.hendrickhealth.org/healthy/000985.htm
Should I leave my ovaries in?
  Quote:
This is a difficult decision and outside of needing to have them removed in the cases of cancer or severe endometriosis, the decision is best made after a thorough discussion with your doctor.

Having your ovaries removed means you will be in menopause and will have all the manifestations of menopause if you do not take hormone replacement (hot flushes, bone loss etc.)._ With this in mind, if you are not close to menopause it is probably better to leave them in so you will still have all the benefits of hormone production from your ovaries._ If you are in menopause or very close to it (average age is 51) then some would advocate taking your ovaries out._ The rational is that they are minimally functioning at this point, but still susceptible to ovarian cancer._ And, since you are having pelvic surgery you should have them removed to decrease your chance of getting ovarian cancer later and requiring another surgery._ Keep in mind, the overall chance for a woman to develop ovarian cancer is 1/70.

Empowerment Points

§________ Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus, with or without the cervix.

§________ Some people feel leaving the cervix in place allows for better vaginal support and less sexual dysfunction.

§________ The method of hysterectomy, vaginal vs. abdominal, is dependent on the reason for_ the hysterectomy, size of the uterus, and amount of abdominal/pelvic scarring thought to be present.

§________ Whether the ovaries should be removed at the time of hysterectomy should be based on a discussion with your physician._ In some cases it is necessary such as cancer, in other cases it is a personal decision.

§________ Take it upon yourself to discuss your options with your doctor.
  Quote:
_ At that time, I suggested that women who were having a hysterectomy performed for appropriate reasons also consider having their ovaries removed after the age of about forty-five._ My thinking at the time was that the ovaries would continue producing hormones for only a few years thereafter, and this advantage would be overshadowed by the benefit of removing the ovaries and eliminating the 1 percent chance of developing ovarian cancer in your lifetime._ However, a number of issues have come to my attention since then, and I now believe that the ovaries should almost never be removed at the time of hysterectomy._

First, the risk of ovarian cancer goes down if the ovaries remain after hysterectomy._ The reason for this is not clear, but it may be that the path for potential carcinogens from the vagina to the ovaries is interrupted when the uterus is removed._ Thus, the risk of a woman developing ovarian cancer after hysterectomy is probably closer to 1 in 300 rather than 1 in 80 for women who have not had a hysterectomy._ The benefit of removing ovaries for ovarian cancer prevention has been overstated in the medical literature and is, therefore, misunderstood by most physicians.

Significantly, the ovaries produce hormones long after menopause._ Estrogen continues to be produced in small amounts, about 25 percent of normal pre-menopausal levels._ Blood levels of estrogen in some post-menopausal women are equivalent to the levels attained by low-dose estrogen patches used for estrogen replacement in menopause._ The circulating level of estrogen produced by the patch has been shown to be sufficient to prevent bone loss in clinical studies._ Studies also show less bone loss in women who have ovaries than in women who have had their ovaries removed._ Studies show that women who have had their ovaries removed (and have not taken replacement estrogen) have higher rates of heart disease than women the same age who still have their ovaries.

Testosterone is usually thought of as solely a male hormone._ However, it and other androgen (male) hormones are produced by the ovaries from the time of the first menstrual period._ These androgens continue to be produced by the ovaries after menopause._ Testosterone has many direct and indirect benefits to your body._ Some of the testosterone is converted into estrogen by your body, and it circulates in the bloodstream to all of your tissues where it has a direct effect on many organs._ It helps to build bone and thus reduces osteoporosis._ Its steroid features prevent muscle loss that often occurs with aging._ Testosterone directly affects the brain and increases libido._ Sexual feelings, desire, and arousal are all related to androgen levels._ Testosterone also affects brain function and mood._ Women with hormones from their own ovaries have a lower rate of depression than women who have had them removed, even if estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is taken.

Some physicians have argued that women can replace estrogens and androgens with medications._ However, less than 30 percent of women who have a hysterectomy and removal of their ovaries will actually take hormones. _Therefore, 70 percent of women will not have the benefit of their own hormones._ Some women do not take ERT because they feel fine and do not understand the benefits of taking estrogen for their bones._ Some women are concerned about the still controversial issues surrounding estrogen and breast cancer, although it appears that the effect of estrogen on the risk of breast cancer may be small._ Some cannot afford the medication._ For whatever reason, most women would be better off with their own supply of estrogen and testosterone from their ovaries.

Another problem with estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is the dilemma that some doctors and women have as they try to find the right doses._ Some women note that despite trying multiple regimens of ERT, they still do not feel right._ Because hormone production and metabolism is a complex issue, it should not be a surprise that we are not able to mimic normal hormone levels in all women._ For all the above reasons, I have recently started recommending that most women choose to keep their ovaries at the time of hysterectomy for uterine problems, regardless of their age.

However, there are a few situations where women may wish to have their ovaries removed at the time of hysterectomy._ If the ovaries are affected by endometriosis or a woman has severe endometriosis and pelvic pain, studies show that removing the ovaries is associated with better long-term relief of pain than if the ovaries are not removed._ Severe adhesions, or scar tissue, around the ovaries may also cause continued pelvic pain.

Some women are very uneasy about leaving their ovaries in because of the fear of ovarian cancer._ They may have seen a friend or relative die of this terrible disease._ As a result, some women may choose to have their ovaries removed at the time of hysterectomy._ But for each woman, the risks should be weighed carefully against the benefits of having her own hormones from her own ovaries after menopause._ Women tend to make very different decisions based on their particular circumstances, their feelings about estrogen replacement therapy, and their risk and fear of ovarian cancer._ However, it is always best to make these decisions based on accurate and current medical information._ This decision is yours to make and should be discussed in detail with your doctor._ As always, if there are unanswered questions or concern, get a second opinion. What Is Right For You?_
The decision to have a hysterectomy should not be taken lightly. There are medical conditions that require treatment - cancer, prolonged heavy bleeding to the point of severe anemia, or incapacitating pain. However, as outlined throughout this book, all medical conditions have more than one option for treatment. Medicine is an evolving art as well as a science. Recently, with more open attitudes towards women's opinions and feelings, and with the advent of new technology, doctors have been looking for new medical treatments for gynecologic symptoms in order to avoid hysterectomy. As outlined above, there are possible side effects of hysterectomy, none of which are entirely predictable for each individual. But, for some women, hysterectomy will be the right treatment._

As with most decisions, you should carefully consider the pros and cons of hysterectomy as they relate to your particular medical situation and emotional well-being. On one hand, you should weigh the degree of discomfort that your gynecologic problem presents to you, the ways in which it interferes with your health, both emotionally and physically. On the other hand, weigh the potential risks of the operation, including the possible physical as well as the emotional side-effects of having a hysterectomy. There are women who happily choose to live with fibroids the size of a 5 month pregnancy despite the fact that they have some daily discomfort and look pregnant. Other women choose surgery for small fibroids because they are distressed by symptoms, or by worry, and don't wish to live with the problems any longer.
http://www.gynsecondopinion.com/hysterectomy.htm

It is now recommended that the ovaries of pre-menopausal women having a hysterectomy are preserved. However, even when a woman’s ovaries are left intact, up to a third of pre-menopausal women who have a hysterectomy will experience ovarian failure as a direct consequence of the surgery. In other words, their ovaries will stop producing the hormones oestrogen and progesterone, and the woman will experience symptoms of an early menopause. These may include hot flushes, vaginal dryness, bladder irritability, tiredness and lack of energy. Women who have an early menopause are at a higher risk of osteoporosis and heart disease as they age. Studies show that women aged between 45 and 55 years who have had a hysterectomy are more likely to be on hormone therapy, as Table 3 shows:
  • Hysterectomy - ovaries removed
    50% on hormone therapy
    Hysterectomy - ovaries spared
    30% on hormone therapy
    No hysterectomy -16%
Figures from Dennerstein, Wood & Westmore (1995: 92)
Good Luck w/ everything Pls keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Unread 06-23-2003, 12:54 PM
some ovary questions

I REALLY wanted to keep my ovaries. However, since my ovarian hormones were obviously on the downhill side, at 47 years of age, and THREE different docs I consulted said ovaries could be prone to cancer later; I decided, what the heck - take them.

However, before I did have surgery I did a MAJOR study of hormone treatment. Am glad I did, in my opinion my HRT is BETTER than what my ovaries were doing anyway.
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:20 PM
some ovary questions

Hello!

I had an RSO last June - and was told I would not experience any type of "menopausal" symptoms - which was not true. I went through the "hot flash" craze for several months - mild/moderate to begin (I guess) - and slowly disappeared. My dr. called me crazy, basically - saying he'd never heard of it before..."in all my years of practice".....but, leave it to me to be an anomoly! )

I'm rescheduled, now, for TAH on 7/7 - (from 5/30 to 7/1 to 7/7) - ahhh! We have agreed (after much discussion) to NOT do a LSO unless its completely troubled once he gets in there. Its funny - our bodies....for 15 years my right ovary caused nothing but trouble - but, only my right. (hence, the RSO, finally) - but, now - not to be outdone, the left ovary has taken on the PCOS hat (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and put me in the hosp. (again) in late April - which pre-empted some biopsies...for more great news....cervical pre-cancerous cells. (CIN II)

But, I want to try and avoid HRT - I'm 33 soon (too soon! haha) to be 34 - and hope that my left won't go into shock and die on its own....plus I suffer severe migraines and am concerned about any synthetic hormone usage. (Two lovely ambulance rides due to "taking the Pill" - one at age 18 and one at age 32) Massive migraine dropped me cold!

Fight for the ovaries, is what I'm saying. I've spoken to many - researched tons, even saw a "herbologist" for the natural opinion, etc...and feel IF they can be left alone....leave the ovaries alone!! Worst case, for me, is ONE more lap to remove the last of the mohicans....haha. (a small price, in my mind, to chance the use of hormones)

Of course, I am far from an educated professional....speak to your doctor and read all you can!

Good luck!
Unread 06-24-2003, 03:21 PM
cyst on left ovary

Hi Everyone! Thank you for all your replies and wealth of info. Since I posted my ovary questions, I just found out yesterday the results of my cat scan of pelvis reveals that there is now a 2.5 cm cyst in my left ovary. I asked the nurse what that meant and she said they have to keep a watch over it.

In our consultation, one of the arguments my dr gave for removing ovaries is that they can form cysts which may mean future surgery. When I asked him if older women have tendency to form more cysts, he said no - just that there is more concern when a cyst forms in a non-ovulating woman. (I am still menstruating regularly and have no signs of menopause)

Does the discovery of this ovarian cyst mean that my left ovary must be/should be removed during hysterectomy? I've never been told that I ever had any ovarian cyst and I'm wondering if my having one now means that that ovary is diseased and must go. Does this mean that cysts could begin forming in my other ovary?

Shelley2: you mentioned that you had to remove ovaries due to numerous cysts in ovaries - do ovaries HAVE to be removed when they have cysts in them?

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
Unread 06-24-2003, 05:05 PM
some ovary questions

Jen,

There are several types of cysts....and that your dr. would have to explain...whether they are luteal, follicular, poylycystic, etc...

Once its been determined the type, I think a better diagnosis would come. So - that all puts it back onto your dr.

We've all had our own situations....my current situation does not necessarily RENDER a LSO, but, with my history (or lack of history in your case!) - it's a definate option! So - that could also be a determining factor!

Good luck - we're all here for you!

-Tysa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register