Exercises - Post Op hysterectomy (TAH) 6weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercises -  Post Op hysterectomy (TAH) 6weeks Exercises - Post Op hysterectomy (TAH) 6weeks

Unread 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Exercises - Post Op hysterectomy (TAH) 6weeks

Hi, I had my TAH on the 22/07, looking for some safe exercises to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Re: Exercises - Post Op TAH 6weeks

Following this post! I'm only 5 days post op and going crazy in bed. Can't wait for the ok to start running again!
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM

Hi, we had the same surgery date. At my 6-week checkup, my doctor cleared me for everything, but I'm not jumping back into my pre-surgery exercise routine just yet. I've been walking and will add some slow jogging within the next week. I lifted lighter weights than I'm used to and will gradually work my way up. I'm not ready for ab work like sit-ups yet, and will take my time easing back into anything that works the core. Walking is definitely safe, but if you feel any pain, then definitely slow down. Have you had your checkup yet? You can ask your doctor what's safe for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2014, 03:02 PM

At 6 weeks i was cleared for everything, have you been cleared? If so you should be able to do what you want. I found my stamina was not what it was before the surgery, so i just backed off the intensity and am working back up. Doodles, did your dr say you were supposed to stay in bed? My dr told me not to, ha ha, she wanted me walking a lot. If you want to be up and about, let your dr know how you feel and maybe he/she will allow some activity. Good luck!
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:07 PM

I was only doing light yoga and walking at 6 weeks. Doc said to just pace myself and if started to hurt or pull too much then stop.
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
At 6 weeks i was cleared for everything, have you been cleared? If so you should be able to do what you want. I found my stamina was not what it was before the surgery, so i just backed off the intensity and am working back up. Doodles, did your dr say you were supposed to stay in bed? My dr told me not to, ha ha, she wanted me walking a lot. If you want to be up and about, let your dr know how you feel and maybe he/she will allow some activity. Good luck!
Yes he said the first week stay in bed just walking to the bathroom and a few laps here and there, and the second week as well but with light walking every so often. I get up every couple of hours and do laps in the kitchen but I seem to tire and get sore in my hips and thighs very quickly so I'm not ready to get up much or venturing outside or anything yet. I get scared about pro longing the healing since you only get one chance to heal correctly the first time I'm making baby steps, literally LOL!
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM

My doctor didn't give me many restrictions, I'll be five weeks on Tuesday. I just did what I felt comfortable doing. It was about two weeks after the surgery that I started feeling somewhat normal again. Tuesday I'm going back to the gym just to do the treadmill and light weights. I'm waiting for a few months to jump back into zumba and kickboxing.
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:59 PM

At six weeks my doc cleared me to do anything I wanted to do, except start gradually, be cautious and listen to my body. He'd already cleared me at four weeks to hike, run, bike, swim and lift up to 30 lbs, so the additional clearance was mainly for abdominal exercise and lifting 30-50 lbs. (My knees give out at 50 lbs.)

The nurses had me up and walking even the first morning after surgery. I walked throughout recovery, lots of short, slow walks the first week, then gaining speed and distance in the weeks after that.

If you haven't been doing too much of anything, then start with walking. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/art...m#.VAOaXnnwvcs has some easy abdominal exercises to start off with.
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles0912 View Post
Yes he said the first week stay in bed just walking to the bathroom and a few laps here and there, and the second week as well but with light walking every so often. I get up every couple of hours and do laps in the kitchen but I seem to tire and get sore in my hips and thighs very quickly so I'm not ready to get up much or venturing outside or anything yet. I get scared about pro longing the healing since you only get one chance to heal correctly the first time I'm making baby steps, literally LOL!
Hi Doodles

There is nothing wrong with taking baby steps. You are absolutely right "you only get one chance to heal correctly the first time". Your doctors suggestions with regards to staying in bed and short distance walking sounds about right. Each day you will feel stronger and better and you can increase your activity based on how you feel. This isn't a contest. Our bodies have been through trauma and major surgery and it's going to take time to heal completely.

Take care
Unread 08-31-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ992 View Post
Hi Doodles

There is nothing wrong with taking baby steps. You are absolutely right "you only get one chance to heal correctly the first time". Your doctors suggestions with regards to staying in bed and short distance walking sounds about right. Each day you will feel stronger and better and you can increase your activity based on how you feel. This isn't a contest. Our bodies have been through trauma and major surgery and it's going to take time to heal completely.

Take care
Thank you! That makes me feel much better I do feel a little better every day! Just ran out of my norcos though so I'm a little nervous that ill be set back or feeling a little bit worse just being on ibuprofin now I'm trying to rest and sleep through any discomforts now and walking is sorta the last thing on my mind at the moment. You all are so lovely and helpful here

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register