Back to work at 3 weeks after hysterectomy/TVT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work at 3 weeks after hysterectomy/TVT? Back to work at 3 weeks after hysterectomy/TVT?

Unread 09-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Back to work at 3 weeks after hysterectomy/TVT?

On Monday, I had a hysterectomy and TVT. My mom is coming next week to help me out for a week. She's already suggesting that I try and go back to work after 3 weeks post -op. Is it just me or does this seem abit much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Re: Back to work after 3 weeks

Hello Trish,
3 weeks seems way too soon to return to work. There is so much healing going on inside your abdomen, also you will get tired easily at work..even if you are sitting. I am 3 weeks post OP Tah/bso abdominal cut for large fibroids. If you do go back try part time first and work up gradually. The histersisters videos for each stage of recovery can be helpful and put your healing in perspective. Personally I feel really good except for swelly abdomen and a little pain at incision area. I personally would not go back to work yet and I love my job..but it involves alot of walking, lifting and sitting. Hugs to you! :-)
Unread 09-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Re: Back to work af 3 weeks after hysterectomy/TVT?

I would definitely say that is pushing it but we all heal differently. What does your doctor say? What type of work do you do? Even a desk job - sitting all day can be painful and exhausting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2014, 04:24 PM

My doc said off work for 6-8 weeks.
I work at our rural hospital as an ultrasound assistant in the morning and as a clerk in medical records in the afternoon. My mom thinks I can do my morning job as I'm not lifting files, etc. But I know there are aspects of my morning position that would be challenging to do if I came back early.
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM

I would say that is too early. Talk with your doc. I was not able to sit very long at 3 weeks. Now at 8 weeks, not so bad. I work in a large city trauma hospital and I am taking 12 weeks. I work in x-ray and no way I could do that job at 3 weeks.
Follow your docs orders. Good luck.

Jeannine
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:54 PM

I had a tvh 5 weeks ago this Thursday. ..I'm going back Monday. .I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse in the er...non stop running...I could of went back this week..!!
Unread 09-22-2014, 05:34 AM

I went back after two and a half weeks (pah) but I sit all day and I felt just fine....as soon as the staples came out...I told my surgeon I am going back....I can not possibly sit home for 6 weeks.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally1967 View Post
I went back after two and a half weeks (pah) but I sit all day and I felt just fine....as soon as the staples came out...I told my surgeon I am going back....I can not possibly sit home for 6 weeks.
I am really glad to hear you both were feeling so well. :-) I know staying home for all that time is hard..I do small outings on the weekend to help with cabin fever. :-) I guess we all heal at different rates..I personally am A very busy, active person but I am savoring my time and trying to keep from having complications like hernias and trying to keep the swelly abdomen from getting too swollen. I love to walk around,play a little with my dogs and catch up on reading. There is no way I could go back to my job early as I get tired and I love my job..sign me waiting 6 to 7 weeks.
Love to all!
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali123 View Post
I am really glad to hear you both were feeling so well. :-) I know staying home for all that time is hard..I do small outings on the weekend to help with cabin fever. :-) I guess we all heal at different rates..I personally am A very busy, active person but I am savoring my time and trying to keep from having complications like hernias and trying to keep the swelly abdomen from getting too swollen. I love to walk around,play a little with my dogs and catch up on reading. There is no way I could go back to my job early as I get tired and I love my job..sign me waiting 6 to 7 weeks.
Love to all!
Side note..yes I could use the money, but I will be ok and I know I only get one chance to heal..histersisters website has helped me so much before and during my recovery. Thank you!
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM

at 3 weeks post op im still in quite a lot of pain in my back and very uncomfortable swelly belly. i'd say going back to work at this point would be a definate no for most hystersisters. i hope you heal fast, but im noticing i need to listen to the only one that can tell all of us for sure. our bodies. take care x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register