Guilt over Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Guilt over Surgery Guilt over Surgery

Unread 04-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Guilt over Surgery

I am scheduled for a TVH on 5.25.04. The cause is beginning prolapse and my uterus is laying on my bladder. The cramps, duration and clots have increased greatly in the last 18 months.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone felt that having a hysto was over doing it? Too extreme?

Just wanted some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Guilt over Surgery

I'm so glad I did it. I had the same problems as you and I feel so much better..and only not even 6 weeks out yet. I'm 44, not taking HRT and feeling fine!!
Those kinds of problems don't fix themselves, and as my doctor said, the only definitive treatment was hyst. Ultrasound and surgery finds proved there was definitely reason to have one as I would have had some major symptoms down the road. Now its over and I'm ready for the freedom that comes with this new body!
Keep reading these posts.....you'll find many of us celebrating our decision!
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Guilt over Surgery

I had a TAH/BSO and am glad I had it. I was not experiencing that much pain or too many problems but it was only a matter of time. The fibroid removed was as big as a baseball and would have eventually caused more trouble. I am 54 so I had everything removed and feel I have eliminated many possible serious problems. It was not a decision I made lightly but I feel it was the correct decision for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Guilt over Surgery

I went back and forth over this decision for several years and read a lot of the anti-hysterectomy stuff. Finally I got to the point where I just knew it was the right time. It's true - it was an "unnecessary" hysterectomy in the sense that I wouldn't die without it, but I was getting uncomfortable with the constant pressure on my bladder from my big fibroids and I didn't like the look of the below the belt tummy bulge. My doctor told me if my uterus got any bigger, she would have to make a vertical incision, rather than the bikini cut. I suppose I could have just had a myomectomy, but my doc told me that is as much a major surgery as a hysterectomy. Besides, they can grow back . I didn't want to have to undergo additional surgeries. I opted to have just my uterus removed, leaving my ovaries and cervix. I'm happy with my decision and am glad I'm done with these issues. This is a personal decision. Make the one that's right for you!
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Guilt over Surgery

Thank you for the input. I too have been thinking about it since September when my Doctor advised I needed it. So, I will continue on and go with next month, before things get worth.

Thanks again!
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Guilt over Surgery

You know it really is your choice. If you're not sure I think you should wait. Read all you can and really think about how you really feel about it. I know a lot of women are glad they had the surgery but I think you should be sure about it before you do it. Best of luck.
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
There is something to be said for sooner rather than later...

My strategy for a long time (I have known a hyst was in my future for years) was to do it on the sooner side rather than the later. That way, there was more of a chance to do a laparascopic procedure and have a shorter recovery and that the surgery itself would be less invasive. My doc said that that made perfect sense to her, too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register