define constipation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

define constipation? define constipation?

Unread 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
define constipation?

Alright, I'm having trouble saying I'm constipated. Because I do movements daily. Just sometimes it's soft, and sometimes it's hard balls. sorry for the graphics. I just call it 'messed-up'.

The pain is getting unbearable now, but I'm moving balls. I've been getting cramps and zings to make my eyes water. I'm thinking of taking Colace or Correctol. I've read the list of different meds. I'm thinking colace will relieve any tension that may be occurring. Correctol may stimulate my bowels to start moving correctly, but will it make the painful spasms? Metamucil didnt help. Phillips Milk of Magnesium is just too hard to swallow. gag
Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM
me too

I am having some of the same problems, try prunes, grainy breads, high fiber cereal and water and pray)
Unread 09-21-2005, 07:46 PM
define constipation?

I'm right there with you, sister! It took several weeks before my bowels were back to any semblance of normalcy! Now that I'm going through it all again (I had another surgery on the 19th) I am still looking for that first post-op BM.... not fun. It normally takes me 6-8 days to go after surgery.

Fiber, fiber, fiber -- I am eating an apple a day and it really does help me. Drink lots of water, make sure you get those walks in. And of course prayer never hurts anything .

But actually, even when I'm not post-op, my BMs aren't really "consistent" -- it depends on my stress level, what I've eaten, etc.

Just letting you know that you're not alone -- not by a long shot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
define constipation?

I feel for you as I have/had the same problem! Today, I am 3 weeks post op! I have been battling constipation constantly, but not sure if that is correct term. I would describe it more like incomplete emptying of bowels...like sitting on a rock!! I have attributed it to the pain meds I was taking (Vicadin) and today, I did not even have a half of a pill and feel great! I think the pain which is not so intense anymore is more preferable to the constipated feeling.

I have had some success with stool softeners and just yesterday, tried milk of magnesia which really worked! I also would take prune juice each morning with breakfast and eat those bran flakes!! Both helped to keep me somewhat comfortable most of time!

Good Luck!

Tricia52
TAH 8/31/05 due to endometrial cancer, grade 1 a (completely cured now)
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:47 AM
define constipation?

Well, I ate raisens, and salads, and Life cereal all day yesterday, and its finally soft. But...I still get intense cramping in the bowels when I have to go. At least I think its bowels. It runs across the bottom of the abdomen. But I get a feeling of relief and relax when it's done. I wonder if I have adhesions or something.
Unread 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM
define constipation?

I have finally started today being able to go normally and i feel so much better.i pray it lasts....
Unread 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
define constipation?

Try Sennekote w/stool softener. Very helpful. Also, when nothing else worked, I used a glycerin suppository. It didn't entirely solve the problem, but got thing moving enough so that I could get comfortable again until I could attack it with a longer term solution.
Unread 09-22-2005, 04:54 PM
define constipation?

I am having bowel problems too. Its been just over 1 week post op. My surgery pains are almost gone but the gas pains are not fun. I went for a long walk today, I hope that helps. I didi find that an ice pack on your belly at night helps tosleep with the gas pain. It's better in the morning and really bad in the afternoon. i am still happy that I don't have constant cramps anymore and eventually this gas will pass!!
danielle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register