3 wks post TLH-still have pain-is it normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 wks post TLH-still have pain-is it normal? 3 wks post TLH-still have pain-is it normal?

Unread 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
3 wks post TLH-still have pain-is it normal?

Hi everyone!

I had a TLH with removal of everything except my left ovary 3 weeks and one day ago.

All 4 of my incisions have healed, I am getting around and running errands, etc. I LOOK fine. No one would know I had surgery. But I still have pain...sometimes severe.

I am a nurse so my Dr. said to take 4 weeks off (he would have released me at 2wks for desk job). He acted like this surgery was no biggie and I would have very little pain. The discharge orders said I could drive after 2 days (if not taking pain meds) and even LIFT 25lbs after 1 WEEK!

So if this was supposed to be so easy, why am I still hurting? I am out of Percocet so I'm just taking ibuprofen (which doesn't help). I am trying to be active because I will start back to 12hr shifts next Thursday so I'm trying to build a tolerance.

I am embarrassed to call the Dr. and ask for pain meds because he clearly doesn't think I should be hurting. I dealt with pain for a long time before the surgery so it's nothing I can't deal with. It just sucks! Despite my efforts to get out and about, I inevitably end up on the couch with a heating pad.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a TLH and still has pain at 3 weeks. Oh, and week two was actually better...I wasn't hurting much at all for several days but it started back a few days ago.

Thanks and happy healing to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Re: 3 wks post TLH-still have pain-is it normal?

I would think that 3 weeks is WAY too soon to be going back to work, esp. being a nurse. I am an RN but have not worked in a number of years as I have been staying home with my boys and homeschooling them. But I do not see how you are suppossed to be on your feet for 12 hours taking care of patients.
I had a LATVH myself 2months and 1 week ago and no way would I be able to go and be on my feet for 12 hours as a nurse. I still have lots of abdominal pain and pelvic pain.
I take 600-800 mg of Motrin every 7-8 hours and am only able to be up on my feet for 45 minutes at a time before I have to sit down. I have a lot of pelvic floor pain from standing and walking.
Maybe go to your gp and see if they would give you a script for narc. and write for you to be off work longer. I am sorry your Dr. is not more understanding and hope that you feel better soon!!
Unread 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM

3 weeks is very early. You had a major organ removed from your body. The initial healing is 6 weeks & even then it takes months to feel back to normal. That seems way to soon to be going back to work. Don't you still have a lot of healing to do inside? I hope you do well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM

I thought I was doing well until the last few days when bladder pain crept up on me. I'm certain it's not an infection (no frequency, no burning), but I have a dreadful ache that is worst in the evening.

I can't imagine going back to work as a nurse so soon, especially if you aren't feeling up to it. I agree that you should request another week or two of leave. Six weeks is not unreasonable. Interesting regarding the driving/weight restriction. I was theoretically allowed to drive as soon as I was off of pain meds for 24 hours, but I haven't yet (two weeks after surgery). It just doesn't seem like a good idea. Likewise, my weight restriction was 15 lbs. which I thought sounded like a lot; I can't believe yours is 25!

As much as we want to be back in working order, it just doesn't seem to happen as quickly as we'd like.
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:34 PM

muttmaniac, I had more pain my 3rd week as well...and am now at 7 weeks and still have some abdominal and back pain. My dr. was like yours, I should be "back to normal" in 2 weeks. Not happening. I will tell you that this week has been much better!

Be careful going back to work and don't lift more than 10 lbs...

Be Well
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Hi Muttmaniac
I'm too am three weeks post op. I went to the doctor two days ago with the idea that he was going to release me back to work. NOPE. He just about demanded I take the full six weeks. He is mostly concerned with my cervix (or lack there of) stitches. I started doing stuff: shopping, some light house chores and went to work for a few hours prior to my doctors appointment. I was exhausted and the pain started almost immediately once I sat down. I am going to take his advice and take the time to heal fully before I start running around and working full time again.
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the support everyone! I only have to work one day next week so I'm going to see how it goes. Luckily, I will be orienting a new nurse so I will have some help with the heavy stuff!

I am sorry to hear that so many of us do not bounce back as quickly as the docs seems to think we will/should. I don't even have a follow up appt until after I've started back to work (my f/u is at 5 weeks). So Karenshere, you have me a bit concerned.

I bet we all have male doctors! haha. It's my own fault though. My first doctor told me I would have to stay out 6 weeks and spend the first night in the hospital. I DID NOT want to stay in the hospital so I went to my stepmom's doc who does outpatient hysterectomies. (I hate to sound like a doctor shopper but my GYN retired last December so I had to find a new one anyway.)

I don't go to work until Thursday so I'm going to just try to walk and do some of the simple games on the Wii fit for the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the support. This is a great site!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register