6 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 wks post op 6 wks post op

Unread 07-07-2006, 07:00 AM
6 wks post op

Well, I will be 6 wks post op tomorrow and doing fairly well. Last night was the first night without Vicodin or my cold pack and slept through the night. I'm up to 3 miles walking (slow). I still experience days of depression in which I do a lot of praying to snap me out of it. Loosing weight has not been easy. In the last 6 weeks I only lost 7 pounds. I have not had sex yet (I have to admit I'm a little nervous). I'm going back to work Tuesday and I'm anxious about that. I find I have times in the day where my brain cells go to sleep. If any one has any helpful hints that they received from the md regarding the depression, weight loss and anxiety about returning to work I sure could use it. Thanks, Geri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2006, 04:19 PM
6 wks post op

Looks like you are doing a GREAT job on the walking!

It does take some time....almost a full year for many.....for the body to totally adjust to the new changes, sometimes making weight loss difficult. My doctor advised me to not worry about the scales for the 1st year......to do my best to just prevent any major gains. He just wanted me to concentrate on getting plenty of activity, like walking.....and eating healthy....to ensure my body had the best possible chance to heal well.

I think it is normal to be anxious about returning to work. Even though I looked forward to that big move to step back into my life, it was scary.....I had no idea how my body would respond.

I did well, upon returning.........mostly because someone had warned me about the fatigue, so I was prepared: I just returned to Princess pampering the minute I got home, until I was able to eventually build up some stamina. Just make certain that all those close to you are aware that.....just because you've gone back to work....does not mean you are completely done with your recovery.

Sounds like you are doing great! Take care...........s.....Deb
Unread 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
6 wks post op

Geri, What you are doing sounds impressive to me. You sound very goal orientated-much more so than I was at your point! I can understand your anxiety over starting back to work. I remember just going about things just a little "gentler" than usual, whether it was standing up or reaching or walking-for the start up couple of weeks. My colleagues commented that I stopped walking like a penguin (I had no idea-I was so embarassed-but they meant well) at 8 weeks post op. I found that the stimulation of being back at my old routine to be wonderful. Be sure to stock your frige with easy to fix, healthy foods for the first week's supper--You may come home quite tired. I developed a taste for a Dr. Pepper every day around 1pm-kept me alert. Deb I'm glad to hear that the dr said not to worry about the scales for a year..I lost then gained-not terribly, but think when school starts again (I teach) it will be easier to drop a needed 10-13 lbs I gained since the surgery. I've decided not to stress about weight. Good luck starting back to work--dress as comfortably as you can and try not to push yourself too hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2006, 07:50 AM
6 wks post op

Deb & Yipee, thank you for the much needed advice. I failed to state that my 6 hour shift at work starts at 3:30 p.m. but thats after a day of watching my two grandchildren 18 mos and 6 yrs. I'm sure I will be going back on the cold pack when I get home from work. It will all work out. A girls got to do what a girls got to do! God Bless.
Unread 07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
6 wks post op

I remember I was very tired it seemed, no matter how much I did in those days. I'm sure those grandbabies love you very much-and that these days will pass quickly. You will look back and be glad you were with them. Please be careful, and be honest with your daughter/son if you need help. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register