Clear liquid diet pre-op??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clear liquid diet pre-op??? Clear liquid diet pre-op???

Unread 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Clear liquid diet pre-op???

I had to do the mag citrate and clear liquids thing too. I was sooooo hungry by the time I got to the surgery. My doc does afternoon surgeries, so I didn't get to the hospital until 11 am. It was tough (and kind of hard to drink Sprite again after the mag citrate), but I didn't have any complications from having nasty stuff in my bowel, so it was worth it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2007, 08:47 AM

I had to do the clear liquid diet and Phos pho. It really wasn't as bad I thought it would be. The hunger was a little annoying, DH went to the store and bought all kinds of clear soups and popicles.
The Phos pho stuff tasted bad but not discusting. I did not have any cramping when I went to the potty 15 times that day. I was not looking forward to the cramping and it never happened.
You will be fine, looking back on it, it seems so long ago now, it, IMHO, was way better than an enema, lol.

Take care,
Peggy
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies, I'm so glad that I'm not alone! This was one topic I couldn't seem to find any threads on. I just drank the lovely mag. cit. and now I am fighting puking sooooo bad. It tasted like I was sucking on a lemon scented air freshener! YUCK! Extremely sour but I got it down none the less.

Donna - I feel your pain. I am so hungry I could scream! I'm making me some lovely and oh so filling broth now to try to at least curb it some but it didn't work earlier. My head is splitting open but luckily I can still take my Midrin. Hope it helps.

I keep reminding myself that we are doing this so that I don't have to have them do an enema in the morning. Lord knows that I want to avoid that! lol I just hope today flies by...I want to get this over and done with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2007, 11:30 AM

okay refresh my memory (gross subject but hey), I am to do the enema Sunday night before my surgery around 7 or 8. I have to leave the house by 4:15am and drive an hour to Ames Monday morning. Hmmm, could be a long drive couldn't it???? LOL
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:36 AM

I would call your doctor to make sure with them first. Some doctors like you do to the enema the night before while others like you to do the morning of.
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM

Donna, if you have anyone around the house with you have them press with a fingertip right in the center of your eyebrows then right below your eye on the cheekbone for about 5-7 seconds. You can try it yourself, but for me it helps if dh does it instead. This is my last resort, know it's going to work, solution to migraines, but it helps for reg headaches too. You can press right behind your earlobe too. Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:52 AM

This may sound dumb, but I thought about this earlier & am still wondering. Why does it have to be clear liquids? Can you have tea? Does it have to chicken broth or can you have beef or vegetable broth too? And why lemon jello instead of cherry? And could you have some sort of hard candy to battle the want to eats? URgggg I'm not gonna like this part!
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damewm
This may sound dumb, but I thought about this earlier & am still wondering. Why does it have to be clear liquids? Can you have tea? Does it have to chicken broth or can you have beef or vegetable broth too? And why lemon jello instead of cherry? And could you have some sort of hard candy to battle the want to eats? URgggg I'm not gonna like this part!
When I was in the hospital, clear liquids included plain tea or coffee, too (no milk, sugar, lemon, etc.) I don't really know why. I had cherry jello as well.

No, this part isn't fun, but it passes pretty quickly. I had the one day pre-op, day of surgery, nothing at all, but not hungry, and then my first day of recovery all clear liquids. I was so excited to move on to potato soup! I'm not sure I can ever eat chicken broth or jello again!
Unread 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damewm
According to my sheet, I can still have soda, plain tea, black coffee, water, any type of plain jell-o, any kind of clear broth or bouillon, Gatorade, white grape juice, cranberry juice, fruit flavored drinks, kool-aid, popsicles, and apple juice. Not that it helps much, none of that fills you up. lol Candy is a no-no though, unfortunately. Can't even have a mint!
Unread 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Good to know I can have my hot tea & cranberry juice! Thanks ladies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register