Scared, Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Scared, Help

Hi Everyone! Guess it's no need to tell you that I'm new here. I have a LAVH scheduled on Monday (8/20/07). All surgery makes me terrified. I won't sleep for the next two days. I know this is completely necessary, we have tried all other alternatives and I'm tired of feeling bad, but I'm scared of the outcome too. My doctor has assured me that I'm doing the right thing. I guess my biggest fear is how my sex life will be altered. My husband says with the way it hurts now, guess it can't get any worse. Guess I never say this coming at age 28. Anyone have a suggestion to calm me down??

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 07:49 AM
hi NJ

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I wish you peace over the next few days. The 20th is only 2 days away. Have you done any preparing for you arrival home from the castle? Do you have what you need to take to the castle? There are lists of things in the Checkpoint sections. Getting things organized usually helps me to calm down.

Good Luck and here's a
Deb
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Scared, Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmhb
Hi Everyone! Guess it's no need to tell you that I'm new here. I have a LAVH scheduled on Monday (8/20/07). All surgery makes me terrified. I won't sleep for the next two days. I know this is completely necessary, we have tried all other alternatives and I'm tired of feeling bad, but I'm scared of the outcome too. My doctor has assured me that I'm doing the right thing. I guess my biggest fear is how my sex life will be altered. My husband says with the way it hurts now, guess it can't get any worse. Guess I never say this coming at age 28. Anyone have a suggestion to calm me down??

Thanks in advance!!!
I find that keeping myself busy keeps me from going crazy. I think I have cleaned EVRYTHING in my house! My LSH is on 8/21/07. I am only one day after you. I am scared as well but I know everything will be ok. Being scared and nervous is natural. When I am not running around getting last minute things done before going to the castle, I go to this site and chat with you ladies. That always makes me feel better. There are numerous posts in this site that testify that sex is great after recovery and pain free. Your husband is right. You will come out feeling much better than when you went in for your procedure. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Scared, Help

njmhb,

Reading your post was me 8 weeks ago! I was scared going into the unknown even knowing that I had to have a LAVH..... Not knowing what to expect in the future. We had tried all the other alternatives. Luckily you found this sight before you had surgery and now you have all of our support. You are normal having all of your fears.
To calm yourself is what you have to do yourself. I did get my house cleaned (which is a really stress reliever), went out to dinner/lunch with my family and dinner. Grocery shopped for easy foods to fix. Made dinners in advance and froze them. Made sure that my bed sheets were cleaned (the day before) and crisp so when I returned from the castle I could climb into clean sheets. I borrowed movies and books from the library to carry me through the first week of recovery.
Will your life return back to normal? It will take time, more time than you will expect. So, don't think that you will be your super-woman a week later. You will have ups and downs and questions and concerns. We are all here for you for we are sisters to each other.
Read the section called checkpoints. Each week I read them. They helped me to know what I should do and what to expect. My doctor only gave me post-op instructions for the first few days. Give your time to heal.
I will be thinking of you on Monday.
Keep us posted....for in two days you will be a
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Scared, Help

I agree with Tansie. It will take a lot out of you and you won't have a large incision to remind you that you had major surgery. It took about 8 weeks for me to feel semi-normal again.

As for the sex part, at my six week appt. my vaginal cuff wasn't completely healed, so they put silver nitrate on it and told me to wait 4 more weeks. At almost the 10 week mark, my BF and I tried it. I will not lie, the first time was a little uncomfortable, but not painful. Just take it slow and be on top so you can control things. Now everything is back to normal and neither my BF or I notice any difference. There are no problems with the big O.

I wish you the best of luck and sending you lots of

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register