4 mos out and still struggling..need input! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 mos out and still struggling..need input! 4 mos out and still struggling..need input!

Unread 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
4 mos out and still struggling..need input!

Hey sisters, it's been a long time since I posted but have still been reading from time to time.

Just passed the four month post op period. Just for a little history, a week after my hysterectomy I started having serious problems with depression and anxiety. It definitely wasn't due to the fact that it was because I was sad about the surgery..the depression came out of nowhere and surprised me. I dealt with it for a couple weeks before going on medication.

They tested my hormones and found out my estrodial was low...tried evamist but it increased the anxiety and gave me some other undesirable effects.

All through this everyone keeps saying that I still need to take into account that I had major surgery and my body is still healing and its mentally difficult.

I would like to know if anyone else is still struggling at this point in their recovery. The meds have helped, but I feel like I have changed so much as a result of the hyster.

What did you feel like emotionally at your four month (or therabouts) recovery point?

Really feeling like I need to connect with other sisters who have gone through this too. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Re: 4 mos out and still struggling..need input!

Hi Terralyn,

Depression and anxiety is not uncommon after this surgery. I know that I struggled more if I did too much, or didn't get enough sleep. Recovery can take up to a full year, and during this time you still need lots of rest.

When my estrogen is too low, or even if any of my hormones are out of balance, I get depressed and anxious. You need to try an estrogen and take it for 6 weeks to get the full effects from it. If evamist caused problems, it may be the evamist itself, or the dose. Talk to your Dr about it and find something that you can stick with.

Once you find an estrogen dose that is good for you, then you can think about adding a little progesterone if you are still feeling depressed and/or anxious. Progesterone is the calming hormone, and many women don't feel quite right without it. I know it makes a difference for me.

The key here is patience and time. Your ovaries may even start to give you what you need when they are fully recovered from the surgery.

Hopefully others who are experiencing these symptoms now will be along soon to share how they are coping.

Kay
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I have had some issues, couldn't quite name them I guess just a feeling of dread, change, etc. My dr put me on Wellbutrin and its helped a lot, I can focus a lot better and even read a book now where before it just took too much concentration. I think its part of just going through all this stuff...takes our minds and hearts a while to catch up..hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM

Can't really offer anything but (((HUGS))) and best wishes! Take care.
Unread 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM

I too am 4 mos out from surgery. I had a TAH BSO without any kind of prep at all. I went into surgery thinking they may have to remove 1 ovary and woke up to a TAH BSO.

I feel like I did well until a month ago. It's almost as though it's all kind of sinking in now. I have days that my emotions are all over the place. This morning I was crying and this afternoon I was laughing. And, to confuse the situation more my desire for sex has increased dramatically.

About week 7 after my surgery, I was having a bad day so I googled how to start a running program. Since then I have increased the distance I can run and physically it has made a huge difference. I run about 4 times a week on my treadmill. I think that I may be struggling more emotionally if I wasn't doing this. I just told my coworker that the only time I feel good is when I'm running.

Interestingly, I was doing pretty good until I asked my doc to decrease my estrogen patch because I thought my dose was too high. I see my doc next week for another follow up and I will be discussing all of this with her. If I get any good advise from her I will certainly pass it along. I was also talking to a co worker who is recovering from a hysterectomy and she feels the exact way I feel. I guess we need to keep plugging away and hope that this is all just par for the course.
Unread 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Hi Terralyn!

Your struggles at four months post-op sound very similar to what I experienced during that time frame. I had to keep working with my family physician to find the right combination of an HRT and SSRI that ultimately steered me on the path to feeling healthy.

Hang in there! Keep sharing your feelings with your medical provider and with persistance and time chances are you will get back to feeling like your former self.

s,
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Hi there!

I am 4 months out and having issues too. I don't have any help for you-I wish I did. I kept both ovaries, but had hot flashes for a few weeks. The hot flashes are gone for the most part, but I feel anxious and worried, and have absolutely no sex drive. None. I posted and asked about it, but I hear to give it time, you are still healing. It frustrates me because I don't like feeling this way.

Best of luck to you! I agree, it is nice to know you are not alone.

Samantha
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi,
I'm 3 months post-op and really depressed. I still have my ovaries so I'm thinking more that it's because my surgery was rushed and I always wanted to get pregnant one day. I don't know, I just know I've been sad too.
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

I am 4 months post op, I am 42, had LAVH , enlarged uterus, fibroide and adenomyosis with a long history of problems , so no kids. My surgery took 4 hours instead of 2 due to these issues. I kept my ovaries as they now say that its better for your heart and I have a heart murmur.

I lost my dad just before this from lung cancer and had to put my mum in a home due to illness so I already had mild depression and anxiety.

I now have extreme tiredness, depression and anxiety, weight gain, an achy left side and get agro on some days and a strange rash keeps coming up on my neck and face about the time I used to get my period. But I think of the upside, I am not bleeding all the time, feeling anaemic and no hot flashes and my libido is returning at long last.

Just know that this will get better, it takes a year to recover from this as it is major surgery. Take it easy on yourself, rest when you need to and take good multivitamins and silica zinc ace too as this helps the healing process.

At the moment I think I am a caterpillar waiting to come out of the chrysalis as a butterfly.

Hang in there, you will improve, little by little just dont overdo it too early. Hugs to all of you. xx
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi Sally! Nice to see you back again!

I did have quite an emotional imbalance after surgery (I think I still do a little but my mind is very tricky and tries to hide it from me.)

I am just shy of 5 months post-op and have just recently found that the cloud is lifting. I really hope you begin to find that too. I think the fact that you have come back for support says a lot and that maybe you are starting to feel better, even if just a little.

I wish you the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register