Careful what you complain about - you just may turn everything around! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Careful what you complain about - you just may turn everything around! Careful what you complain about - you just may turn everything around!

Unread 07-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Careful what you complain about - you just may turn everything around!

Hi Sisters:

Remember when I was complaining that I had no real concrete reason for having this upcoming TAH/BSO - well I actually emailed my surgeon with my concerns and his reply was a little startling! Now is puts in black and white, "I have not established that the cyst on the left is a dermoid - that is only one possibility - cancer is also a possibility, though I feel a low likelihood."

Guess I've got my reason now, this is the first time he ever uttered the word cancer. Nothing like a little motivation to get you to the Castle! Really scared now! :cry: Luv, Lulu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2002, 05:07 PM

Hi Lulu,

Just hang onto the words "low likelyhood" for now. Try not to get too worked up. Sometimes it is a curse this "I must be informed" isn't it? The more we get informed about what we eat, breath, medicate with etc., the more scary it gets. I would have been persistent too, good for you. Sorry, you do have your reason now and I guess he/she was just trying to protect you from the worry. He/she will know better next time.

Best Wishes,
Elizabeth M
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Careful...........

Thank you so much Elizabeth for your comforting words. I will try to think about Low Likelihood. I don't know what I would do without this site and the wonderful women on it. Luv, Lulu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2002, 08:53 PM

Lulu Lee,

Nothing quiet like hearing the C word, is there? All of a sudden the knot forms in the pitt of the stomach and you feel panicky. You start making little deals with the Lord. You begin blaming yourself for waiting and not being proactive. You look at everything wondering if you won't see it again...

Don't worry. You know, he should have probably said the C word before, just to cover himself. I thought most gyn doctors left that door open. But now that he has implanted the word in your mind, there is no going back. And, it was a good thing that you asked for more clarification. I don't think he was trying to push you or scare you. He was being truthful, we all have that little, ity, bity, tiny percent of a chance of having cancer. I'm sure, it is definitely not on the top of his list for you...

You know, I can't seem to get through life without the bitter and the sweet. I believe your worry will keep you focused to the point of frazzle...but just think how happy you are going to be when you find out that you are just fine!

But... from now on, let's only wish for happy things, OK?
Unread 07-27-2002, 09:16 PM

LuLu Lee,
I'm having a small tumor removed from my bladder Tuesday (had to have this done before AH.) And both the urologist and gyn have said, "Well, we don't think it's cancer, it didn't look like cancer, but we can't rule it out until we get the pathology report" It is terribly scary. I don't think there's a scary word in the English language. I'm taking heart in the fact that they are aggressively going to remove this thing. Most of my nursing friends say that they have to mention the possibility of cancer even in the most remote chances that that's what it is. Hopefully, things will turn out just fine and you at least know that you are doing everything you possibly can to maintain your health and not ignoring it. I'll send positive C-free thoughts and your way.

Tai
Unread 07-28-2002, 06:23 AM
Knocked off the fence, huh?

Hi, Lulu;

I am praying that that cyst is just a cyst and I have a good feeling that it is. As you can see by my updated "signature", I have cancelled my surgery due to the fact that my bleeding has ceased and I've had two normal periods after bleeding almost non-stop since Jan 2001. (I feel like G-d is telling me something!). In addition, I had a terrible experience with MY surgeon when I called for an appointment to ask a question. And my surgeon is a female. Sometimes women are extremely insensitive to other women.

So it's on for you and I think it's a good idea because you need the closure. Please know that you remain in my prayers.
JoAnn
Unread 07-28-2002, 07:45 AM
Careful............

Thank you, one and all. I appreciate your prayers and good wishes - you know you have mine. I guess he just had to say the C word because my understanding is that GYN/ONCs get in big trouble if they miss ovarian cancer??? My sister-in-law left her book at my house on true crime - I never realized that Patsy Ramsey had Stage IV aggressive ovarian cancer. Her husband took charge and found the best treatment plan the world had to offer and one year later she was declared cancer-free!
Then again, he was a billionaire. Well, again thanx. And JoAnn, I'm glad you cancelled and your bleeding ceased. Stay well. Tai - my positive thoughts are with you, and Maralyn - good advice, as always. Luv, Lulu
Unread 07-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Ovarian Cancer

I thought that the CA125 test was a pretty good indicator of abnormal ovarian activity--is this not true? And don't I remember you saying, Lulu, that your CA125's were normal?
Also, Lulu, there are tests called BRCA1 and BRCA2, genetic tests, that show if someone's genes are mutated thereby increasing ovarian/breast cancer chances. The BRCA's are EXPENSIVE--like $2400 w/o insurance. And the results take 2 months to get.
Maybe I'm just adding fuel to the fire, but I know how apprehensive you are about the removal of the ovaries.

Just tell me to SHUT UP if you've had enough!
JoAnn
Unread 07-28-2002, 03:16 PM
careful what you complain about....

Dear JoAnn,

I never tire of hearing from you. Please keep in touch! Luv, Lulu:
Unread 07-28-2002, 03:54 PM

LuLu,
My doctor tossed out the C word right from the get go. Oh my, my heart sank. But he quickly followed it with "97% chance it is NOT cancer." I go home thinking 3% chance it is! Of course we dwell on the worst. Once you hear Cancer, you can't hear or think of anything else. I waited 9 days after my biopsy to hear it is NOT cancer. Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!! I had the hyst and a tummy tuck on 6/4. I'm so glad it's over now. He took everything. Now I just have to adjust to HRT.

Is anybody else hot in here?

TC

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register