I'm new here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm new here

Hi everyone,
Please, bare with me as I am still learning the terms to different hysterectomies. I have not got a set date yet. I go for my bladder ultrasound next week. I am having a VH with a bladder sling and repair for cytocele, rectocele (spelling?). I have elected to have my ovaries taken as well. I am not sure about the cervix. I do have a ?. Do they cut you, like when you have a baby? Also, PLEASE tell me they put you under and it is not a local type. What can I expect as far as pain afterwords. Is it like having a baby? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm new here

Nope, nothing like having a baby (I've birthed 2). The cut depends on what type of hysterectomy you're having done. If you have an abdominal hyst, then yes, they do cut your abdomen similar to a C-section. If you're having a vaginal hyst (the type I had----TVH), then there is no abdominal incision and as far as I know, no episiotomy-style cut. If you are having a vaginal hyst, then you will not be able to keep your cervix. I have not noticed it being gone myself. They sew up the end of the vagina to form a vaginal cuff that is where the cervix used to be. With the other repairs you are having done, your pain and such will probably be different than mine, as all I had done was the removal of the uterus & cervix. Someone else I'm sure will be able to offer you more info there. And yes, they will put you out for the surgery (not a local). Best wishes with your surgery & recovery, and welcome to HysterSisters!
Unread 08-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm new here

I had very little discomfort following TVH/A-P repair; as a matter of fact I was quite numb in that area for about 3 weeks. I did have soreness in my lower abdomen; make sure you have a pillow or folded blanket to hold against that area when sneezing/coughing/laughing.

Re: anesthesia..some Dr's offer their patients an epidural with twilight sedation for a TVH/A-P repairs. Other Dr's prefer general anesthesia. You might want to ask your Dr his/her preferences during your pre-op exam.

stay well
diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm new here

Hi,
I am scheduled for this coming Friday...pretty nervous at times.
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm new here

I had a TAH (nothing left). I am 5 1/2 mo. post op and feel great. My incision is still numb and tender if I bump it on the sink, etc. ouch!! I remember absolutely nothing once they began wheeling me to surgery...don't remember the operating room nor the recovery room! As for my recovery, it was pretty much event-free. However, it is very different than having a baby.

Best wishes to you, and I sure hope things go as well for you as they have for me! Life is good!
Unread 08-24-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm new here

Hi i just wanted to say welcome cuz it looks like your a Gordon fan so welcome hun hope someone has some answers for ya I'm still confused myself!!! LOL
Unread 08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm new here

Last night when reading some of these posts I found the best link I have ever seen for us "lay people." Try looking for your answers here and even though it looks like its for laparascopic hyst, it still explains every kind. It is full of great information.
http://www.ohanlan.com/total_laparo.htm
Unread 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm new here

Hi 24dupont! I had similar surgeries to what you will have. Like that other sister said you will not get to keep your cervix with a vaginal H. The posterior repairs are most likely done inside, like an episiotomy but in the vagina. It feels about the same. I had swelling and cramping a little worse than a period. I was taking pain killers round the clock for a week and then the second week only once a day. Now at 4 weeks I feel pretty well, but still have a little swelling at times and some twinges here and there once in a while.

You'll be fine. Wishing you the best.
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm new here

MDHCRN....Excellent website! Thanks! Explained alot.
Unread 08-31-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm new here

Hi, and welcome to you!

As you've already discovered, you'll get fantastic support here at Hyster Sisters. We're here for you whenever you need us!

Here are a few of my favorite parts of the website: Checkpoints which give you valuable information every step of the way from pre-op to post-op. In the Pre-op Hints subforum of this discussion board, you'll find what many new es feel is their very best advice to pass on to the soon-to-be crowned.

I personally got a great deal out of the Tell Your Hyst-Story forum. Here you'll find story after story about real hospital experiences. No, not every one is a great experience... but they are all real stories and it gave me a great amount of comfort to read about almost any possible situation.

You're doing great and we're glad you're here.

The other sisters are right -- the type of incision you have depends on many factors. They had told me I would have two incisions -- a horizontal one for the panniculectomy to remove fat, and a vertical one for the hysterectomy. I was pleasantly surprised to wake up with only the horizontal incision.

As for anesthesia -- most ladies report getting general (being "put under"). That is what I had. I asked about local with sedation, and the doc advised against it. In the end, I decided I really didn't want to be awake or cause the hospital staff to have to "entertain" me during the procedure. However, some ladies do have the local with sedation, either by choice or because they have difficulties with general.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register