Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous

Unread 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous

Thanks to all you ladies that have replied to my post. It means so much cause right now I need some positive outlooks on this. Looks like I'll be getting my surgery date April 30! Trying to get ready but it would help if I knew my husband was gona stay by my side. At the moment I'm not to sure. But after 17 years I'm gona do what's best for me and my health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2015, 04:41 AM

Some quick tips I would suggest that helped me the most so far:

Get some loose comfortable full length casual dresses or nightgowns and a very comfy long robe or cardigan to wear over them during recovery- you won't want anything with a waistband. Doesn't have to be purely functional either- if you can get some that make you feel pretty or that have fun patterns or colors you like then all the better.

Fill prescriptions for meds and buy any over the counter necessities BEFORE your surgery.

Clean the house and do all dishes & laundry beforehand

Have some easy light meals & snacks ready for after- soups, juices, bananas, applesauce, etc.

Have plenty of pillows on hand and some blankets for lounging and building your recovery nest area.

Gather a collection of movies & shows or books you've been meaning to get to or that make you happy to watch during down time. (I have been binge watching Star Trek, Star Wars, and Downton Abbey myself..)

Have someone there at the hospital who is good at paying attention and remembering- they tried to tell me all my instructions but I was still foggy from anesthesia so having my mom & husband there helped because they remembered what I didn't and/or wrote down notes.

I'm sure there's a lot more which the articles and other members have probably already mentioned.

Good luck!
Unread 04-24-2015, 04:45 AM

Also just curious- why would your husband not be by your side? Are you having marriage troubles in general or is he opposed to you having this surgery specifically?
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Re: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous

Hi Suzie,
Now that you have a surgery date, please enter it by going to your User Control Panel and go to your Survey. This way you will get great support with special Checkpoints and Tips. Also you can join a Recovery Progress thread comprised of gals having surgery the same week as you are.
I don't want to pry, but there are articles involving family members, dealing with both those that are supportive as well as those that aren't.
This site has many great members who will gladly help you on your journey.
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrrl View Post
Also just curious- why would your husband not be by your side? Are you having marriage troubles in general or is he opposed to you having this surgery specifically?
There's no other way to put it but he's not opposed to surgery he's just not liking the idea of no sex. .
Unread 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM

Hmmm well that part is not for very long- only 6 weeks if you heal on schedule- which is only a month and a half.

Good luck, and I hope you get the support you need and deserve!
Unread 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Re: Need Tips To Prepare, Very Nervous

I started getting nervous a couple of weeks before my surgery wondering if I was doing the right thing. I got my period the week before, and the heavy bleeding and the bad cramps convinced me I had made the right decision. In the weeks leading up to the surgery, I spent a lot of time on this site. I also tried to keep myself busy at work and at home. I love to garden, and knew that I wouldn't be able to do my fall cleanup once the surgery was done, so I was busy pulling, pruning and raking right up to the weekend before. Keep your mind occupied and remind yourself that your life after surgery will be better.
Unread 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie19 View Post
I have an op appointment April 30 for hysterectomy. Is there anyway I can prepare myself for this surgery? I go tommorrow for an ultra sound so the dr can see what all he has to remove. I was confident about all this until today and now nervousness has really kicked in. I don't know how to prepare for surgery or recovery😟
Pre op today Surgery Monday May 4
Unread 04-30-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie19 View Post
Pre op today Surgery Monday May 4
Very best of luck!

Hugs and Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register