oh the dreadful wind! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

oh the dreadful wind! oh the dreadful wind!

Unread 08-06-2005, 03:09 PM
oh the dreadful wind!

Dear sisters
i am typing this on the hospital computer.I had my TAH on the afternoon of 4 August. I kept both my ovaries, thank goodness, as there was a possibility of an ovarian tumour causing the endometrial changes.
The incision pain is barely noticable, but oh the pain of trapped wind! Huge bubbles of gas roiling round my bowels with nowhere to go! Managed to get comfortable by getting on my knees, bent over three pillows, bottom in the air. Not at all elegant, but so comfortable at last. BNO yet, so there is some question of whether I will be allowed home today. The hospital food certainly doesn't help in this dept.
It was so encouraging to log on and find messages from the hystersisters about post op checkpoints. It made me feel very special. The nurses have been very nice, especially the older, more experienced ones, with experience and helpful suggestions.

It is nice to know from reading other posts that post op wind( gas in the US) is so common a problem and that I am not alone.

from New Zealand

NZwoman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2005, 03:26 PM
oh the dreadful wind!

Ask you Dr about giving you simethicon pills for gas.They gave me chewable ones at the Hosp and it really help a bunch.Good luck,-Marsha
Unread 08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
oh the dreadful wind!

Dear NZ,

The gas and insomnia seem to be the 2 most common complaints. I could not expel even a pffft! One of my nurses spent several minutes listening to my bowel sounds thru her stethoscope, and when she finished, she asked me if I would like an enema to help with my gas. Well, I never thought I would "like" an enema, but believe me, I felt SO much better! I had one enema the day after surgery (because my operation was at noon), and another one just before I left the hospital. Once I got home, I never had any more trouble with gas pains or constipation (I seem to be one of the few who did not have constipation problems, but that was never a problem for me before surgery. I also never took any narcotic meds once I left the castle, so that may have something to do with it).

Walking is supposed to be one of the best things you can do to relieve gas. Didn't work worth a flip for me, but it's highly recommended.

One more thing... your new crown looks great!!

Rene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2005, 03:43 PM
oh the dreadful wind!

Hi NZwoman,

Wow can't believe they have a computer for you to use. Glad to here you doing well except for the wind. It's just so horrid I know but walking helps to move it or so I found.

I was given peppermint tea and peppermint oil when it hit me and it helped.

Hope you have aspeedy and uneventful recovery,,,,,,,,,Karen
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:26 AM
oh the dreadful wind!

NZwoman...glad everything's ok! I'd talk to the nurses about giving you something too..that gas pain is HORRIBLE!
Rene-walking didn't work for me either..and I didn't want the enema because I think I hurt myself when I had to give myself an enema before surgery and couldn't find the hole..lol.
Laying on the pillows worked for me too..may not be ladylike, but who cares, you're in pain..they just need to put a sign on your door "danger...deadly gas inside"..lol. Hope it comes out soon, so you'll feel better !!
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-07-2005, 09:43 AM
oh the dreadful wind!

I had lots of gas trapped in my upper body and around my diaphram after surgery. They gave me Simethicone several times a day and I did lots and lots of walking. That seemed to help for me.

Good luck. The gas pains were worse than the surgery itself for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register