New Sister, Freaking out too! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Sister, Freaking out too! New Sister, Freaking out too!

Unread 12-04-2002, 10:16 AM
New Sister, Freaking out too!

Hi Nanc,

So, to summarize, he's saying that recovery time is improved both by the LAVH technique and by leaving the cervix, but he's not seeing much difference in postop sexual function? Hmm, wish I were a candidate for LAVH. (Current gynecologist says fibroid is getting too big for that. I'll put on my list to ask the other gynecologists next week.)

(Warning: potentially gross personal anecdote)
I know that at least some of my orgasms involve uterine contractions. How? Well... After I came out of the hospital (heavy bleeding, severe anemia), I was gun shy about having an orgasm, or just about anything to do with my body. Three weeks later, I had read up on and requested a UAE, had read the link I listed above, etc., and I felt that I was being overly paranoid. Here I was, telling my gynecologist that this mattered to me, and I was avoiding it like the plague! My SO and I had a nice evening, and at the moment of truth... I did what I can best describe as giving birth to a litter of bloody hamsters.

Oops.

So, personally, if it's hysterectomy for me, I want it to be supracervical, but I can see whether others' mileage may vary. I'm not sure the study I linked to was the clearest about separating TAH from TAH/BSO, in which case, where study participants were at with HRT may have made the numbers worse. The one UAE study reference I ever found sounded like similar percentages to supracervical here (10% had a decrease in sexual frequency or pleasure.) I haven't seen one for myomectomy, but I suspect there's a certain similarity -- they're all messing around an area with a lot of nerves.

Wishing us all luck...
-- Anne

8cm fibroid, heavy bleeding, hemoglobin hit 6 on 11/14/2002 (followed by 4 units blood transfusion)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2002, 11:41 AM

Thank goodness I found this site! I too was recently married on September 1, and although my DH has been fantastically supportive, I am having a lot of guilt about putting him through this (emotionally and financially) so soon after our marriage. He is my third husband, never had kids, and I have two teenage daughters. I previously had my tubes tied due to a car accident/miscarriage/fibroids, and even though I was okay with not conceiving again, I know he secretly hoped I might be one of the few women whose tubes spontaneously re-grow.

I am relieved to be having a TAH on Dec. 20, in spite of the fear and guilt. I have always had stress incontinence, but lately it had gotten MUCH worse, to my embarrassment. Those of us who have has this problem know it wreaks havoc on your sex life, worrying about odor and whether he will notice. I couldn't even tell DH because I was so ashamed...used pads every day and all of my pretty colored undies were becoming bleached. Seems I was always on my period or about to start, or spotting, or leaking urine in between. I was terrified it might be the old spinal cord injury coming back to haunt me. It's awful to be miserable and alone, thinking no one understands. Kudos to Hystersisters!!

The truth is, finally finding out what's wrong and taking steps to fix it is FAR better than hiding and worrying on your own, and pretending everything is fine when you are in constant pain. It is never "normal" to live like that! So I am relieved this surgery will fix things and I am hopeful to hear many post-op ladies saying it has dramatically improved their sex lives. Take care, all of you! Susan
Unread 12-04-2002, 02:21 PM

Hi Ann

I would have rather had LAVH too. Unfortunately my Doc says uterus is too big. I have heard of taking it out in pieces but with so many fibroids I suspect it could be more difficult...bloody.

I decided that since my stomach is a mess anyway I'd rather have her have a real clear view of what she's cutting. I have an appindectomy (sp) scar that some butcher left me with when I was 6 yeas old.

I thought about getting a second opinion but decided I want her to do it and get it over with. I really like her and that's worth alot to me. I am rethinking the cervix issue though. Just on the basis of recovery time alone. I asked my doc about that too and she said if I want to leave it she can do it that way but there was no medical evidence that it made much difference. (though I think she may have been refering to sexual function rather than recovery time)

I still have not had my preop which is with her so I will have a chance to discuss tht along with my other long list of questions. I am wondering about this mini period though. May have to hop on over to the post op board and ask a few questions. I was looking forward to never having to bleed again..but at 44 I think I can endure minimal amounts for a few more years.

Let me know what you decide

Nanc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Ponstel

My doctor also prescribed Ponstel for me. It didn't work very well on the pain and bleeding, unless I doubled the dosage! I called and asked his nurse if that was OK and she said it was. When I saw him a few days later, he had a hissy! Said I was on the road to ruining my kidneys!

I'm glad Ponstel works for some folks! I took it exactly as my doctor explained, beginning a few days before my period so it was in my system when the "blessed event" arrived and continuing throughout my period. Problem was, I needed two of them every four hours to get any relief!

LOL, it was then that my doctor laid the cards on the table: Continue with all of those drugs that just eased things a little and ruin my kidneys or have done with it all and go ahead with a hysterectomy. I chose the latter. He also took me off the Ponstel and gave me Darvocet, which is working much better on the pain, to hold out until surgery.

Nanc: You're right -- Ponstel IS expensive! Even my co-pay was $45 -- the highest I've ever had!

Julie-Anne
Unread 12-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Hi Nanc,

I'm beginning to suspect that the second opinions are part of a ritual of coming to accept that I'm going have to do the hysterectomy. No more periods or birth control pills does sound appealing... :-)

If only they could just teleport my uterus out of there ... :-)

-- Anne
8cm fibroid, heavy bleeding, hemoglobin hit 6 on 11/14/2002 (followed by 4 units blood transfusion)
Unread 12-04-2002, 04:17 PM

Hi Ann,

I didn't go to a second surgeon. Actually my GP told me I had to think about what I was going to do to deal with this after I saw her for severe anemia ( I just couldnt stay awake) I told her I really didn't want to go under the knife and she referred to my uterus as "carrying that bowling ball around" Jeeze ..talk abut visualization! Now that's all I can think of. Will I feel "a bowling ball" lighter after?

I needed her ok to schedule with GYN/surgeon so as far as insurance is concerned I would think that would be considered a second opinion. I have yet to get all that straightened out. I guess I should get on the phone..Blue Cross..I just hate dealing with them. They always have you jumping through hoops. Somethig else to worry about.

I've been surfing around here and still found no first hand info on these "mini periods" but as far as what's hooked to what in there...I'm back on the keeping the cervix side of the fence...for tonight anyway.

Julie-Ann,

I never took the ponstel very regularly. Just for those 2 or 3 days that I was bleeding to death...I had days where I couldn't even go get a few groceries without coming home and changing clothes..(hey..I'm even typing in past tense..I think this is a good sign) The cost mede me think twice about taking it too oftem. Mostly I have just put up with the never ending period.

Nanc
Unread 12-05-2002, 05:56 PM

Hi Nanc,

Wow. Your anemia sounds even worse than mine. You also sound like you like and trust your gynecologist. I had had a gynecologist who I really liked and trusted, but she retired about a month into this, and I had to scramble to find somebody else in a hurry. Indeed, it was the scrambling that kept me from going to either of the people whom she recommended -- they each had a one month waiting list. I will finally have an appointment with one of them next Friday.

What does an orange weigh? A little over a pound? I could see where five of them plus the rest of the uterus could be like an eight-pound bowling ball. A full sixteen-pounder sounds a bit high. :-)

Ick about the insurance. Sounds like a hassle. :^(

So, these mini-periods are something you've heard occur with keeping the cervix? I'll try to remember to ask the gynecologists Thursday and Friday. You also might want to start a thread mentioning that in its title, if you haven't already.

We're in the middle of the snowstorm here. Which is probably headed your way -- not the direction things normally go in. Amazingly, my current gynecologist was in the office today, and called me to let me know that my hemoglobin is still 10.5 two weeks after the blood transfusion, despite my having bled more than 2 1/2 cups in between. Ya-hoo!

-- Anne
Unread 12-06-2002, 04:30 AM

To find past threads that have dealt with "mini-periods" click on the seach button at the top of the page and type in "mini-periods" This will bring up a list of threads. Checking the threads that are listed in Post Op will give you more first hand info. Here is a link to one recent one: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...t=mini+periods

On the issue of the cervix: this is the way my DR explained it to me: it is not a separate organ, it is just the opening to the uterus. It is about the size of a coat button and has no function without the rest of the uterus.

I had a TAH/BSO. By 4 weeks I was feeling pretty good, but I followed orders and continued to take it easy until my 6 week check up when I was cleared to get back to my normal routine. As far as sex is concerned I haven't noticed any difference without the cervix.
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:44 AM

mlweeman,

Thanks for the input and I will check out those threads.

There seems to be a difference of opinion between doctors on this issue. I'm now leaning toward keeping it..if possible, even before looking into these threads. Did you see this article?

http://www.obgyn.net/displaytranscr...srael2k_mettler

I have only had one abnormal pap ever and that was normal after the 3 month recheck. That was years ago. I

t just seems that if there is a chance that it can help me out in any way then I should keep it. I'm an incurable packrat by nature so I can't see tossing out anything that I "might need". I'll continue to flip flop I'm sure, till I have to sign on the bottom line.

Nanc
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Best of Luck to you

I know what you mean, this site is so great! I have met so many wonderful people from all over the world.
I am going to the castle on the 17th and am getting very nervous. But will definitely be happy when this is all over and I feel better!
At least you are able to work from home. That's a great advantage for you.
Keep posting and best of luck to you!

take care,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register