Worried ~ is a TAH recovery harder than a c-section? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried ~ is a TAH recovery harder than a c-section? Worried ~ is a TAH recovery harder than a c-section?

Unread 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Re: Worried ~ is a TAH recovery harder than a c-section?

Wow! I've had 3 c-sections. It took 8 weeks before I was cleared to return to work each time. I was in a lot of pain and could not do much for myself. Not even make breakfast. I felt helpless because I was used to doing things for myself. I can't even imagine the pain I'll be in after my partial hysterectomy.And to hear it might be worst than having a c-section is scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Hi Christa

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy (TVH), with no external incisions at all. For me, it was a much, much more difficult recovery than with my c-section 18 years ago. After a c-section, everything stays intact; with a hysterectomy, however, a major organ is removed. It is an entirely different surgery.

You might find it helpful to take a look at our Pre-op Resources page. If you scroll down a bit, you'll find a list of articles. The first one addresses this very question.

Unread 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Christa, are you certain you'd have to have a TAH? I was concerned at the thought of a TVH (vaginal) and really have no pain in my vagina! The recovery is a little shorter if you just have the hyster. i had a hyster, ovary removal, anterior and posterior colorrhapthy for cystocele and rectocele, a rectum lift (they removed about 1/2 inch an tightened it, a bladder sling with additional support added, i'm not sure the whole name but my doc said its like having 2 slings in there and side supports as well, there are 6 screws in my pelvic bones total to hold it in. My bladder has been my biggest issue, and I'm trying to not do much bending, lifting etc. I ended up with a dx of Adenomyosis, and stage 1 endometrial cancer, and PCOS on my ovaries the patho of the cysts are still pending.
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:47 PM

I had had a C section years ago and TAH in March. Initially the pain is about the same but it takes significant time to recover from a TAH. I was extremely fortunate and did not have any complications. I returned to an office postition after 4 weeks on a half time basis - trust me, this was all I could manage comfortably. After 6 weeks, I could put in a full day without problems.

The issue I had was that I could not sit for an extended period of time and I was very tired every afternoon.

Personally, I would not commit to a return date until you see how you feel. At that point, I would return a couple of hours daily to see how you hold up. I am 10 weeks post op now and, although I feel strong, I am still not 100%.
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:14 PM

I have had 3 C-section and I think that my recovery ( TAH/BSO ) was about the same. At 3 weeks i was still getting tired but i was doing things for myself. At my 5 week i was back to work. I think it all depends on your pain tolerence and your determation to recover. I really think it depends on the person. I did have a very quick recovery. If you do alot of pulling and tugging on Patients then i would not recommend you go back to early.
Thats my 2 cents..
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:27 PM

I had a c-section and this was worse than that. I'm almost 3 months and I still have some pain, but doing better. My c-section was alot faster recovery. I don't think at 3 weeks you'll be ready to go back to work. I would find out if you can have it done another way if your wanting to get back to work faster.
Good luck to you...
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:48 PM

I had two C- sections and the recovery from a TAH I have found to be 10x worse. I have had more issues with infections from a bigger surgery. I also agree with a fellow sister saying that with a C-section that everything stays in tact, whereas a major organ/organs have been removed.
After my C-sections, I only had to be aware of the incision, but with the TAH, I have had to be aware of the incision, the pain in my stomach, the pulling at my sides, the twinges in my lower pelvis, the bowel pains when I need to go, there are lots of little niggling pains I am aware of daily in my stomach area. lol
I had my surgery on the 20th April and my doctor has given me "strict" orders to do nothing because of the risks of something going wrong internally inside. I am in week 5 and haven't left the house, let alone think of returning to work. I haven't even been given the clear to drive yet, my doctor is strict on the 8 weeks waiting period for me even to be able to do anything.
My doctor has explained and pointed out where every single stitch is in my body, and it wasn't until he did this, that I was fully aware of how huge the surgery I went through was and how much I wanted to do everything right to prevent something bad happening.
Plus I am also not sure whether being a bigger princess makes recovery longer and a little bit tougher, because I am not a little princess either.
So be careful and do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with.
When it comes down to it, YOU come first.

Dazdell
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Ah, Christa. You sound as delusional as I was a few weeks ago. I've had three c-sections of which I can say recovery was not bad. This hysterectomy on the other hand, (I don't know the abbreviations either) has been murder. I am going into my third week of recovery and I had sworn up and down prior to surgery that I would be back to work by the third week. Thankfully, no one is holding me to that. If I had to return to work by next week I would just sit and cry. I am not a wimp, but just like your job, I am on my feet all day, bending and pulling. I can tell you that there is no way I feel well enough to go back to my job yet. don't be a superhero, if you get complications the only one suffering is you and your family. Take your time and be friends with your body. You'll recover faster that way. Good luck.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM

I had my TAH 5/3 and the doctor will not even set a return date for me until my 6 week check up. At 3 weeks, it was still a little painful getting off the couch and I had just been cleared to drive. Make sure you really listen to your body and see what your doctor says is best for you.

Speedy recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register