Migrains after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Migrains after TAH Migrains after TAH

Unread 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Migrains after TAH

I have Suffered from Migrains along with the fibroids and all the other issues that have lead me to the decision to have a TAH.

I have a question though has anyone who had migrains prior to a hysterectomy had relief or stopped having them? I have been on preventative/daily meds for ever along with pills that I take when I get a migrain. Its to the point that the day I get my period I take medicine like I have a migraine because I will get one at some point that day and along with the bleeding through my clothes (wearing 2-3 pads at a time). I also get them when I am ovulating. I have tried everything injections, nasal sprays you name I have done it. Someone said maybe your migrains will stop and I just cant belive I could have a life without headaches and bleeding. I just dont know what it would be like.

Any information would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Re: Migrains after TAH

I have suffered from migraines for years. I also took a daily pill, then I have an emergency melt. The few weeks after my hyster, my migraines were out of control. After we got my one ovary functioning correctly, I can tell you I have had maybe 8-10 in the last year. I was having 4-8 a week prior! I do believe that our bodies being in turmoil affects them. Though there are many types of migraines, so you may get some relief but not total relief. Oh meant to mention I am off my daily med, I still keep a supply of my melts incase one strikes though. Good Luck to you!
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Hey there!

I am one who suffered with migraines that now I realize must have been the hormonal kind or menstrual or cyclic kind or whatever they call it, because I am very happy to report that since my hysterectomy, I don't have them anymore! It's been 11 years and I have probably had 2 severe headaches that I'm not sure I'd even call migraines in all that time.

I sincerely hope that they go away for you, too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM

iriedog11

As ((Painfree214)) says, there are different triggers for migraines. Unfortunately, my migraines have remained unchanged since my hysterectomy but I honestly didn't think removing my uterus would make the slightest difference anyway. I kept my ovaries.

A hysterectomy doesn't include ovary removal, however, and so it's important to factor this in when weighing up responses and making a decision ~ especially if you think your migraine trigger may be hormonal.

I'm sending positive thoughts!

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

I also get migraines (with and without auras), have a few different triggers and my menstrual cycle is definitely one of them. I just laughed (better than crying) about that same issue and the cruel irony - I am not very willingly having my TAH and in spite of having to go through, I'll still get stupid migraines!! You'd think at least it would be fair to get rid of those, too, but I'm not counting on it because my ovaries will continue to function and I'll be subject to the same surges and dips I always have. But I also wouldn't dream of giving up my ovaries unless absolutely necessary; they are far too important for long-term health. Guess I'll have to wait until menopause for a change in the headache department.

But who knows? Maybe your headaches aren't triggered directly by your hormones, or maybe they are compounded by your current health issues and you will get some relief with the surgery. I hope it helps you
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM

I have suffered migraines since I was 17 (I'm now 43). They were definitely worse during my period and I would get approx 15 a month. Sometimes I would have one that would last 5 days in spite of taking migraine meds. Occasionally I would have an aura with them and would hardley be able to see. I had my TVH in July (kept ovaries) and am happy to say that my mirgraines are much much better. I've had maybe 5 or 6 in the past 7 months. Which is weird, since I have my ovaries and they are definitely working and I have a good dose of PMS each month.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM

I don't know if it is all the posting I have done on this topic the last few days or what, but today was not pretty. I had a bad headache, but not a migraine last night and I just couldn't get it gone, just to a dull ache. Then about 9am I was at work and I got the worst pressure behind my right eye and the sounds were driving me insane. I had just filled my script last week and forgot to refill my holder, thought I wasn't going to make it home.

Hoping the rest of you are fairing better with yours!
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM

I too suffer from constant chronic headaches and cyclic migraines that last 3-5 days. I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op from a total (including ovaries) LAVH. I can report that although I have had several migraines since surgery, they have changed in duration. Not sure if this means anything...yet. Doc has me on no hrt because he wants to see if the headaches are estrogen related. He says we should know 2 - 4 months post op. I am praying!! I can not imagine what life would be like without chronic headaches. One thing this has taught me is - my migraine pain is WAY worse then major surgery pain! Regardless, at least I won't be bleeding 3 weeks a month!!
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM

My migraines have been reduced since my hysterectomy - probably by about 1/2 to 2/3. I tended to get mine around my period if I hit the right amount of stress. However, how a hysterectomy will affect migraines is a real dice role as you can tell from these posts.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
My migraines have been reduced since my hysterectomy - probably by about 1/2 to 2/3. I tended to get mine around my period if I hit the right amount of stress. However, how a hysterectomy will affect migraines is a real dice role as you can tell from these posts.

(((Hugs)))
Do you mind if I ask if you are taking estrogen? I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and still having migraines. I am on estrogen. My dose was cut in half after the first 3 migraines. I have a long history of migraines, most being menstrual migraines. I was really hoping to be rid of these migraines after having everything removed.
Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register