27 and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

27 and nervous 27 and nervous

Unread 01-26-2003, 03:28 PM
27 and nervous

I am having my surgery on Tuesday Jan 28th. I am having the surgery due to endometriosis. I am having a complete hysterectomy done, so the thing I am most nervous about is being only 27 yrs old and taking hormones for so many years. Are there anyone else that is close to my age and has had a complete or is getting ready too. I would love to hear from you and your experiece or concerns. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Do you have to take ovaries?

I had a TAH, kept ovaries. One of my friends had a complete hysterectomy. She was concerned that I leave my ovaries in, if possible, because she is on the HRT rollarcoaster ride right now. My MIL had a total years ago and she only needs to wear an estogen patch and has been happy with that. I opted to keep my ovaries if they were healthy, so I wouldn't have to worry about hormone options. There is no history of female type cancer in my family and I am only 36, so menopause is a ways away.
I wish you well and good luck on your castle day.
Unread 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM
27 and nervous

I was only 28 when I had mine, too (I had supracervical abdominal hyst), but I got to keep the ovaries.

I'm not surprised you're nervous - this is a big step for every woman! I knew over two months in advance about my surgery, and it was a tough, stressful time - but between my wonderful DH and the simply amazing women here, I was able to somewhat keep ahold of my sanity.

Just know that you're not alone - and whatever happens, you'll get through it.

*hugs*

Tess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Of course you're nervous

It's normal to be nervous and you have more reasons than some of us. As for hormones, there certainly is a lot of debate about that right now and women do have varying experiences. But I just wanted to let you know that my mother had a hysterectomy when she was about 35 - at that time it was law that the cervix be left! At any rate, she had her cervix removed two years later because of bleeding. She has been on ERT (Premarin no less) since the age of 35 and she had her 85th birthday last fall. Can that be? She's been on Premarin for 50 years??? Well, it's true. And she's healthy as a horse. Well, a little arthritis and a little heart problem but those are very recent developments. Her activities wear me out just hearing about them.

Joselle
Unread 01-26-2003, 08:18 PM
taking the ovaries

My DR and I spoke about the possibility of taking or leaving the ovaries. She felt as though it was necessary because of the endometriosis being produced in the ovaries and that is what is giving me my problems. She informed me that if I wanted to leave my ovaries I would need to have them removed a couple of years down the road, just for the simple fact that the endometriosis would still be able to attack the bladder, colon, and other organs and unfortunately there would still be problems. I totally trust my DR, I have been through a lot with her in the past several years. I'm very nervous and it is less than 48 hours away.
Unread 01-26-2003, 08:45 PM
27 and nervous

Hiya,

I had my tah/bso when I was 19 because of severe endometriosis. To tell you the truth I didn't find the surgery as bad as being in pain from the endo. I too was nervous about the prospect of going through menopause at such an age. I've been on and off of hrt since my surgery (may 2002), its had its ups and downs but I sure don't miss the pain that I was in before.

Wishing you the best for your surgery. Lots of hugs to you. Take care and remember your princess training. Drinks lots of water, rest and walk then rest some more.

Love and hugs,
Candida
Unread 01-26-2003, 11:12 PM
27 and nervous

Lyndwill,

I am 29, had an LSO in Dec. and will be having a TAH/RSO next month due to the severe endo they found during my surgery so I completely understand where you are coming from. I didn't want to take the hormones for years either. I am a bit leary of them because my mother passed away in August from breast cancer and she had been on them since 1992. However, my doctor advised me to have the remaining ovary taken out because it hasn't been working properly since surgery. I have had hot flashes as well as insomina. He said the endo would likely return if I kept it and it would have to come out within a year anyway. He also told me I would be closely monitored while on the HRT's so that gave me some relief.

I think this is normal when dealing with endo for the doctors wanting to take out both ovaries. I did research on it and I asked my husband's godmother, a retired nurse, who had a TAH due to endo when she was in her 30's. She said she kept an ovary too because she didn't want to go through menopause at that age. After surgery she was still in pain from endo and had gone into menopause. Three months later they removed the ovary and the pain went away. She has been on HRT's ever since with no problems. I am HOPING I will be able to do the same...I am crossing my fingers.

I will keep you in my prayers and know you are not alone in this age wise or worry wise. Good luck with your surgery, I will pray extra hard on Tuesday for you!!! Have a good day!

Jennifer
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Im also 27

Im also 27 , I ahve mine done in 3 weeks can you tell me how you are doing and what helped you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register