Light menopausal bleeding now turned severe...and scared. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Light menopausal bleeding now turned severe...and scared. Light menopausal bleeding now turned severe...and scared.

Unread 01-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Light menopausal bleeding now turned severe...and scared.

November is when I found out that I am officially in the menopause. My doctor put me on some estrogen for the severe hot flashes I was having. I started bleeding 3 weeks into estrogen therapy and went off it it. I bleed pretty heavily for 15 days night and day. It was consistently heavy but not blood clots, etc. My uterine biopsy came back normal even though my uterus was very thick on ultrasound. Three weeks later, on Christmas day I started bleeding again. Up until 3 days ago, it was consistently light. Perhaps a 2 pads all day would be more than enough. Now the bleeding is so severe that I have at times soaked a pad in 30 minutes. The blood clots are huge and consistently there. My car seat even has to be cleaned.

My surgery is set for the 23rd but I have the option to move it up to the 16th my 39th birthday. I am suppose to see the urologist on Monday the 14th to see if I need a sling...whole other issue and then coordinate surgery on the same day as hysterectomy if necessary. I have an appointment with my obgyn on Monday morning to discuss what is happening. I am getting scared, not for the surgery which I have put off for a year because the pre-cancer cells weren't showing up on the last three biopsies done in 2007. Now with the severe heavy bleeding I am afraid that I don't have 10 days to wait for the original day and that I will have to celebrate my birthday with morphine in the surgical recovery area.

I don't mind having surgery early if at all possible I am not completely ready. I have been cleaning my house like mad all day today just in case... Scrubbing, painting and finishing laundry as well. The meals that I wanted to cook and freeze for my family and celebrating my birthday and my soon to be 14 year old son's birthday is stuff that I still need to do in the next 10 days. Am I crazy? Should I just get it over with? I don't really want to remember my 39th birthday in a hospital, although am I am really going to remember that day anyways? I am tired, sluggish and scared and feel that the uterus will not have a good report once it is out since the bleeding is really frightening. Now off to go change the pad again. At least my bathroom is sparkling.(No longer looking like a CSI episode.)

P.S. What are the must haves for comfort if I am having a LAVH??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 06:58 AM

You will be in my prayers.

Personally, for me, I was bleeding so much that I was anemic. I wish I had gotten my hyster done sooner. You will feel soooooooooo much better.

God bless.
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:00 AM

I think that if the bleeding is that bad and hasn't eased up, you should call your dr about it. I had some testing done to determine what all my problems were before my hyst. I had just about stopped bleeding and started again - my dr wanted to see me right away. Please be cautious, call; don't risk your health.

Best wishes, please keep us updated.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 07:17 AM

KC -

Bleeding is scary. It can mean many things from the nothing to the big C.

I agree with Jean, I would be calling my DRs service and not waiting for an appt in a couple days. Some women here have found themselves delaying their surgery's because of blood counts being too low from bleeding.

With regards to being ready and B-days. Nerves are a funny thing, we seem to handle them by making lists to keep us busy. If you had 3 weeks, you would have more on your list to keep busy. Sure there are things you need to do but probably a lot of that list your DH or DS would step up and do if you couldn't?

I can appreciate not wanting to spend your B-day in the hospital but that other way of looking at it is what a wonderful 'gift' to give yourself. And for your sons b-day, he's old enough to know whats going on (at a minimal your ill) and I am sure he is scared. I am sure he wouldn't want to putting this off for his B-day when your having issues.

Sometimes you just have to put yourself 1st and know that the key reason you are being 'short-term selfish' (not) is so you can get back to being you and being who others depend on you to be. Its actually wonderful to watch the other members of a household step up and do what you need. It kind of validates all your efforts by knowing when needed you have that support returned.

Best wishes and keep us advised ok?

Julie
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:47 AM

Kettlecorn, call your DR's service and the nurse will probably call you back. 2 Pads in 30 min is alot. I had that in Juy and ended up in the ER. Better safe than sorry. Your health is more important than anything.

I will also be celebrating my birthday flat on my back!!
Unread 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM

I did call my doctors office Friday afternoon and the nurse did say if the bleeding returns to soak a pad every 30 min to go to the ER. She said that if it is only soaking every hour then I don't need to come in until Monday morning, which I do have an appointment and she told me to call the doctor on call for the weekend if I still have concerns. (my doctor was unavailable on Friday afternoon) I haven't been soaking every 30 minutes since Thursday evening. I have had a pad soaked within the hour but mostly it has been spread out to every 2 hours. The cramping has started and unfortunately I am not taking any pain meds in fear that the medication will interfere with surgery if I do have it on Wednesday. I think my doctor is going to want me to have it. The nurse already called me back Friday after I talked with her and she said that we could move it forward if I wanted to. All you women are so wonderful. I woke up this morning to find all these well wishes and thank you. Any ideas of what works for cramping without pharmacological relief...other than heat? And again thank you all for caring so much. It helps me get through the day.
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM

I put off surgery and later was told that due to prolonged heavy bleeding causing blood pressure problems, I was severely straining my heart and could have even had a stroke. I am glad to see you called the doctor and if he moves up surgery - do it!

Think of yourself first. You can always order pizza for the family if you don't have the meals frozen. And if you need real food - call your friends to bring over a meal. You know you would be honored to do it for them.

As for your birthday. Pick a day (or week end) two months from surgery and plan a birthday bash. You are a princess and can move your birthday to whenever it is convenient and comfortable for you!!!!!!

Again, talk it over with your son. I am sure he won't mind postponing his celebration until you feel better.

Good Luck! (and good ridance to the super duper heavy duty night time maxi pads!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register