Lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Lupron

Hello,

I have just started monthly Lupro injections and a week ago and after my first injection I am feeling really tired, and my breasts are still swollen after my last period. I read on Lupron.com that the first two weeks you have a surge of estrogen so your symptoms are worse. The nurse told me I might have my first hot flash after two weeks, I am trying not to read about the side effects and then exhibit them, but I really don't feel that great.

Any advice or wisdom on this subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Lupron

It is true about the surge in estrogen for the first few weeks on Lupron, but for me it lasted the first 6 weeks! Finally my estrogen levels dropped and the hot flashes, mood swings, and headaches began. I still continued to have my period for the full 4 months I was on Lupron but the pain decreased a lot. Unfortunately, I had to stop the shot after 4 months because the headaches were unbearable for me. Several months later the pain of endometriosis returned worse than before. Now after my hysterectomy the headaches are back, even on hrt. You would think I would have learned my lesson!

I hope you see better results! Every woman responds differently to Lupron so hopefully you will see some results sooner. The sore breasts and fatigue are probably from the increased estrogen. This will eventually go away. Good luck!
Unread 11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Lupron

Naturebound,

Thanks for your response on the Lupron, it is good to understand about the surge of Estrogen, and I hope my luck is better than yours, sorry it had been so rough for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Lupron

I had only 1 lupron shot , I read up on it online, peoples stories and desided not to take it anymore.I already have kids and had to have a tah anyways, I didnt have to many side effects, nothing real bad except I gained 20 lbs in that month. Good Luck with it.
Unread 11-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Lupron

Boy,

I sure don't need to gain twenty pounds, hope that doesn't happen, I will need to start back on eating healthy again for sure. Thanks for your feedback. I do see the positive side to Lupron if I can hang in there, lots of folks have also had good results. Thanks again for your response.
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Lupron

Hi Gracie77,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a LSH, a less invasive hyst. I did have hot flashes and night sweats since lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. I did not however gain any weight. If anything, I lost a few pounds due to the flashes and sweats.

Can we ask why your Dr. prescribed lupron in your case?? Lupron is not for everyone. You can get pros and cons on taking it. For me, lupron was a success since it got me to my LSH.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Lupron

Hi, Gracie77
Like Historylady, I was on Lupron to lesson the problems with fibroids before my hyst. I noticed some increase in cramping for about the first two weeks...Then the hot flashes started. I also experienced bad, bad crabbiness! I was so darned crabby I wanted to kick MYSELF out of bed and make me sleep on the couch! But I just had to keep reminding myself that it was temporary and not really "me." So, hang in there. Hopefully you won't need to be on it too long. I lost weight, too. Strange, huh? Good luck.
Unread 11-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Lupron

Hi Gracie77

I had the same reservations about Lupron that most women do, but I ended up liking it. It was weird waiting for symptoms. I had one more period and with it a bad, persistant headache (from that surge and drop you mentioned). As the period ended the headache lessened, but not before I'd called my doc about it. I was given an Rx for add-back hormones but the headache did resolve without me taking them.

My hotflashes started shortly after that period stopped. I didn't have another period for a few months though, so it was a good trade. My results were short-lived, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. (Being without severe pain and flooding every month was better than a luxury vacation!)

Good luck with your Lupron therapy. I hope it offers you some relief too.

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Lupron

You will feel better and back to normal after 3-4 months following your final shot. My 1st lupron series did not take. Had to endure 6 months of pain and have a 2nd series. After 3 months or so, I had normal periods and felt great. My lasted 3 years. Now I face a hysterectomy, but it bought me time.
Unread 11-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Lupron

My first gyno recommended lupron in April. I went home read the pamplet he gave me and then went on line for more information.
After my research... I just knew it Wasn't right for me.

I know it works for some ladies or it wouldn't be suggested for them by their doctors. I wanted to post my thoughts, but am hoping it does what it should for you.

Best of luck with your process with it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register