Walking Question..post-op five days.. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking Question..post-op five days.. Walking Question..post-op five days..

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Walking Question..post-op five days..

I was all upset that I was not doing the mileage that the other girls were doing that had the same surgery date. But, I had a vertical incision through that cut straight up through my belly button. It took me a long while to get to the distance that everyone else was doing after only 3 weeks. I figured out that if I walked more often but not as far that worked better. You have to go by what your body can take. You'll know when you've gone too far.

I got all excited one day and told myself I was going to go to the end of the street around the corner. I was so happy walking in the sun and being "new again" and I went too far. I got 1/3 of the way back and ended up laying under a tree in someones front yard for 20 minutes. It was really quite funny because my 84 year old neighbor with her little dog came over to me and looked down at me and asked if I needed help. I told her "no, just taking a little break" and we both laughed so hard it hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:57 AM

(((Ann)) that is such a cute story and really so typical of the struggle we all share. I'm proud of you for being willing to sit under the tree until you were ready to go on. Thanks for sharing.

Rita
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

It was a beautiful day, why not!! ha ha. Plus, I just could not lift my legs anymore. After that experience I started to tell people which direction I was going to out walking just in case I needed a rescue.

Oh yah, I forgot to add....That cute little old lady helped me get up off the ground and walked home with me. And my mom. the same age, opened the door when I got home and thanked her for bringing me back. She told my neighbor "we were just about to send out the hounds".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM

BillyJack,

You are I are exactly alike in terms of exercise/fitness and how we're handling our recovery in this area .... I could have written this post below about myself word for word!

-Loves to Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjack

I was just about as active as you be surgery and I to was told 6 wks and that my body would tell me when enough was enough. During the first week or even now 3wks post op today I really don't feel up to the long walk, gym or what have you, I'm a little jealous you do.

What sticks in my head is that for me anyway being so active is that when my body tells me enough I am already at the point where I am going to be a little sore and thats before surgery. I really like to push myself and enjoy the burn.

So for now I'm just not doing it because I know I will push to hard by any others standards not my own. You really don't want any set backs that could turn into months or even worse more surgery. Better to be safe than sorry as they say. Also I'm looking at this way, starting over slowly on the fitness scale after 6 weeks will show me results much quicker and be more satisfying (love the challenge of getting back up to speed) Good luck and be careful.
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM

i was in very good physical condition before my surgery...gym 6 days a week, weight training, etc. i think everything depends on a persons physical condition before surgery and how much their body can handle after. i was walking from the day i came home..it gave me energy and helped me recover much more quickly. if your dr told you walking was fine, and as long as you are not walking up hills, running or really straining yourself, you should be fine. as time goes on, you'll be able to walk longer and faster. just listen to your body and you should be just fine.
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Hello walkers,

Is anyone that's walking finding that they need support around the middle near the incision area? I am uncomfortable even walking slow around the house or to the mail box. The swelling has started to go down more so in the morning but when I walk it kinda jiggles a little and becomes painful very quickly. This is one of the main things holding me back.

I had no extra weight around my middle prior to surgery, so now when its not swelly it's very loose like skin and bothersome.

any suggestions?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register