question about cuff stitches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about cuff stitches question about cuff stitches

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
question about cuff stitches

I already had my 6 week exam. Everything was ok. I go back to work in 2 more weeks. When I go to the office the nurse informed that the Dr. had a teaching student with him and asked me if it was alright if she came in with him and I said sure. Well when he did the exam he showed her the stitches that were left on the cuff and said to her can you see them they are green. And she said yes. Well now that I think about it if they are green how comes I haven't seen any come out like everybody else. If they are green there is no way I should of missed them. Can they dissolve enough that they aren't expelled from the body??? And I am to return to work on 8/25/08, will they be healed enough in 2 weeks and if they aren't all gone has anybody else went back to work with stitches still in there cuff??? I have no lifting restrictions anymore. I was just told to do things as I feel comfortable. My job involves alot of pushing, pulling heavy carts, bending, lifting bundles of clothing, and it is very fast paced and on my feet all day. I only go back for 4 hours a day for the first 2 weeks, but will have no restrictions except for: Patient will need to take frequent breaks, comfortable clothing if swelling occurs, Patient should be permitted to go home if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Hey aware,

I hope someone can answer your question for you! I am assuming my stitches were the disolving kind. I never asked and nothing ever came out.

I am glad you are able to go back to work only part time for two weeks. You have a very active job and you will probably wan to nap when you get home.

Hugs
Jess
XOXOX
Unread 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM

I'm 7 weeks postop (LAVH) and I haven't seen any stitches yet.

I will say to be careful! I went to school yesterday (I'm a teacher). I had people helping move the heavy furniture, but I moved some student desks. I got home last night and started spotting. It is very light, and it looks like old blood, but ARGH!! I can't believe I over did it. I felt like sucha wimp yesterday. I guess that was a huge caution light to not over do it!

Listen to your body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Yeah I plan on listening to my body and not letting anybody push me to far, but the stitches have me concerned because I thought you weren't to go back until they dissolved all the way. I mean they do use dissolvable stitches right. They wouldn't put in ones that don't dissolve do they. It has me so confused now. I thought most of the posts that said there stitches were still there and they couldn't work yet. I just don't want to pull one and I am cleared for sex also. This is so confusing. I don't get it and don't want to injure my self and put all my recovery in jeopardy.AAAAWWW This is so confusing, I am about ready to pull my hair out, I don't know which way to turn.
Unread 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm 3 weeks out from my TAH and I haven't seen any stitches either. My doctor cleared me for work next week. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and the only restriction I have is no lifting over 15lbs.
Unread 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM

cuff stitches you mean vaginal cuff stitches? they should be disolvable. my doc told me all my stitches were disolvable, and after about 3 weeks they dissolve, and to be extra careful.
not sure what else to say, maybe ask your doc? good luck and hugs sister chris
Unread 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM

I did not see a stitch until a few days before my 6 week checkup. I informed the dr that I had seen a total of 2. He was not even going to do a vaginal exam until I told him that. So he did see the remaining stitches and swiped them with a large cotton swab and they wiped right off. I don' t know why your dr. left them in. I had a TVH if that makes a difference. Seems odd to me!
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM

I only saw a couple of stitches when I wiped. They were small black dots on the toilet paper. I believe they are dissolving kind so you may not even notice them.
Unread 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM

I never saw a stitch and when I was cleared my doctor said all was well. i
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM

I looked on the internet and it says that depending on what type of sutures were used, they can take from 10 days to 8 weeks to dissolve. I guess mine are the longer ones to dissolve and that is why he can still them. Which is ok by me. it gives my cuff alot of time to really heal before they dissolve. And I guess that is why he is waiting to release me for work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register