3wks post op - Does anyone else need otc pain meds to get through the day? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3wks post op - Does anyone else need otc pain meds to get through the day? 3wks post op - Does anyone else need otc pain meds to get through the day?

Unread 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
3wks post op - Does anyone else need otc pain meds to get through the day?

Hi Ladies,
I had a TVH (kept ovaries) on 4-22-09 and am trying to stay down, rest and heal properly. As long as I lay down I feel great, but when I am on my feet for a while I start to feel pressure in my vagina, (not in the abdominal area where I thought the pain would be). I'm not working, or shopping for long periods of time, I'm just walking around my house. I don't feel like I'm over doing it, compared to my pre hysterectomy activity level (I'm like the energizer bunny lol) but good grief I am still taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen in the afternoon to get through the day. Does anyone else have to do this? and how long should I expect to keep taking the pain reliever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Re: 3wks post op - Does anyone else need otc pain meds to get through the day?

Apple1207,

I know for sure I was still taking motrin at the 4 week mark. Probably a little while longer. It was mainly in the evening, before bed.

Unread 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

Had LAVH (kept ovaries) and TVT Sept 07. Still took tylenol for several weeks post op as needed. I continued to spot for eight or nine weeks intermittently and then spotted again at about three months post op. Spotting always occurred after too much movement, especially going up and down stairs too often in one day. Be careful with motrin and other nsaids if you have a sensitive stomach. They can cause ulcers for some people. I think some doctors tend to downplay the healing process. Everyone is different so try to take it easy on yourself. I came back to my normal level of functioning in about three months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks so much for your comments. I need to adjust my concept of the recovery process. I really thought I would recover faster because I am active, thin and haven't had other health problems. So much for that! Thanks again and I hope everything in your life is going well.
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM

I am 6 weeks post op (TAH ovary removed), and I still have to take a Tylenol or Advil every now and then. At three weeks, I was still having to use prescription pain meds at night while using OTC stuff during the day. I think you are doing great!
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM

If you normally have stomach problems with Motrin or nsaids you can try taking OTC Zantac about 30 minute before breakfast and dinner...l and then take the meds after you eat. I've been doing this for three weeks and so far no stomach upsets and I have a normally very sensitive stomach.

I'm three weeks post op and I just cut my pain meds in half today.
Unread 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Definitely took painkillers at three weeks post op. I think I took them for 4 weeks. My doc said to take one nsaid and one ibuprofen twice per day, as they each target different things. I swear the combo really worked for the pain and swelling. You're doing great! Good luck!
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:29 AM

I am 3 wks and 1 day post op TAH/AP repair. Although I stopped the vicodin at 2 weeks, my DR gave me prescription motrin 800mg to take every 8 hrs as needed. But he wants me to take it atleast twice a day, which I do with breakfast, and then after dinner. He believes because the motrin helps w/ inflamation, it helps to prevent adhesions. I always took motrin daily prior to sx because of my back. Well my back isn't bothering me now, so after a couple months of healing maybe I won't need it at all. I do sometimes feel like I could use something more at night. Still uncomfortable too sleep in bed some nights. Now if it gets too bad I just move to the recliner, seems to help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register