TVH Kegels! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Kegels!

I would like my pelvic floor to be in good working order!
Kegels Kegels Kegels in the past and especially now should be done as a daily exercise.

I know there are kegal weight cones such as vaga care, aqua flex and other devices known as kegal exercisers. Are these devices really effective? Can I cause damage?

Feel embarrased to ask my gyn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Re: Kegels!

I have been wondering the same thing myself... Thanks for asking that question! I haven' asked my doc either. I used to do levels before my lavh... I honestly felt that they helped to keep any bladder/ urinary issues at bay both before and after surgery.
I am just wondering if they are safe or not for me right now. I am almost 8 weeks post lavh (wow I cannot believe it's been that long!) But.... Unfortunately, I had complications and a second surgery 5 wk post op . So recovery wise I am pretty much back at square one. Post cuff restitch I feel more vaginal achiness soreness and pressure; I had none post lavh. I don't know if kegels right now will help or hurt?
I have an appt with surgeon on Monday and plan to ask him..... But I would be interested in what other sisters have to say about this in the meantime! Anyone asked their docs?
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM

I didn't do any kegels until my post op appointment. What was an easy exercise to do it is most difficult to do now. I think maybe a device would help. I am concern of causing some damage with the devices.

I am hoping that if some members here are using the cone weights or other devices they could post a note to express it was worth it or not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM

sorry to hear you had problems! May you heal and recover quickly!!
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM

I have not tried the cone weight, but I have been doing kegals for the past week... I also had a TVH, and I am 3 weeks post op... I feel that they are important considering my pelvic muscles are basically what was helping me to begin with.... I had bladder repair also, and I "cut my pee off " mid stream as a exercise also... I found a app for my iPhone that is called PHH, and it has quite a few safe exercises for recovery on it...
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Wow - no one gave me a date for these, but I got the impression I could start these quite early - and I did! Like, on day 5-6 post op.!!

I had a TAH/BSO.
It didn't seem to do any harm at all! OK, I didn't do them a lot for a start, and quite gently.
I have been doing them a lot more now, though.

I'm sure I read SOMEWHERE that they can actually aid your recovery, but I guess it depends on the type of surgery. I also read that those who had robotic surgery have to be more careful about any pelvic movement or strain (??)
So maybe no Kegels for them!
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I am thinking that tah bs tvh or lavh would have different rules maybe as far as kegels are concerned. I would think that gentle kegels would help but I guess I am also scared that they could put extra strain on tissue that is trying to heal. I will check with my surgeon on Monday at my 4 wk post cuff surgery. I am experiencing much more vaginal discomfort and achiness with this second surgery, (i had no vaginal or perineal discomfort post lavh). I will be so happy if he tells me that kegels will help with this symptom!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register