Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

Unread 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

Hi ladies!

I am new here and just wanted to ask a question about anxiety. I will be having a TAH next Wednesday for adenomyosis and endometriosis. My surgeon will be removing all the endometriosis that he can hence the abdominal versus vaginal. I am hoping to keep both ovaries for now but he will take them if they don't look healthy. I am a RN so I am very well versed in the procedure itself...etc....that's why I'm not sure where all this extreme anxiety is coming from?? I have history of anxiety but it has been well controlled with Paxil for years now. Over the past week or so it has been so out of control that I can't even function. My heart is pounding put of my chest and I constantly feel like I need to take a deep breath to catch my breath. Every minute seems to take an hour...I'm having trouble sleeping and feel nauseated. Anyone else have this or am I truly losing it? I also have my period right now which isn't helping matters but it does remind me why I really need to have this done! My periods have become so painful and heavy again that I actually ended up in ER last month for IV fluids...pain and nausea meds! I'm wondering if since I'm a nurse. ..I know about all the potential complications and that's in the back of my mind...I just don't know. Anyone need to take Xanax for a week pre op lol...because I'm about ready to ask for it! I think another big worry is pain control post op. I have been on some pretty hefty doses of pain meds for quite some time due to the above problems plus severe pain from an autoimmune disorder called Sjogrens. My pcp has been trying to wean me down but is allowing an increase for post op....I'm just afraid it's not going to be enough or he'll try and cut me back down before I'm healed and I'll have to suffer. .etc. Oh goodness....sorry to ramble on! Anyone have any thoughts for me? LoL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2015, 07:32 PM

I think it's a normal stage of pre-op. My surgery is two days away and I'm freaking out. I've personally hit the stage of asking myself if I really need to do this, is it necessary, should I put it off? Self doubt...that's what I'm calling this place I'm at. I wouldn't worry about how you're feeling. I think it's to be expected!
Unread 09-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Re: Surgery set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

Dear Horseluvin,

I know firsthand how hard this is for you, but try your best to get a handle on your stress - easier said than done. I used to take Paxil for years, but in my case, I felt in was working enough (I also have Ocd as well as anxiety/depression, so I switched. I was told my 3 doctors I had abnormal cells and would have a complicated surgery - while I didn't initially take this news well, I was able to cope by adding Xanax, as needed.

I encourage you to speak to your doctor about your increasing anxiety to find out what your options are. After speaking to mine, I was able to take an X at midnight before surgery, and, I was given an relaxant in my IV as well. Your doctor and anethesiologist are there to make things easier for you to cope. So don't hesitate to discuss this now! You are not going crazy - you are anxious facing the unknown. Perhaps your added medical knowledge is adding to the mix - I don't know- but now you are a patient - so relax a bit and trust your doctors and medical team.

As for the pain, mine was very manageable at the hospital and when I got home. But again, speak up now and discuss your doctor's pain management plan for you.

Please check out this link, as you mentioned you also have an autoimmune illness:

Recovering With a Chronic Illness

I have severe anxiety, but I managed it with medication as well as keeping busy. In addition to doing errands in preparing for surgery, I allowed myself to spend time doing activities I enjoyed. Even if only for a brief time in my schedule, I made certain I had pleasant diversions to distract me - and reduce my stress. This is a good time to surround yourself with positive friends and family - in person, email chats, social media, etc. Treat yourself to something special - a manicure, movie, lunch out, new books or movies...whatever will keep you upbeat and on track.

Take a deep breath and know we are here for you. Yes, it can be a bumpy road ahead, but it is nothing you can't handle!

Hugs and we all are here to support you on this journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Re: Surgery set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

Thank you so much you guys! I am so glad I joined....I think this will be a great place for support in the upcoming days! <3
Unread 09-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Re: Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

I don't have anxiety issues, but had a bad experience yrs. ago w/a D&C and they had a hard time waking me afterwards. Fast forward a couple yrs. and I had to have bilat salpingectomies (tubes removed) in order to try for another child thru IVF (my son was 10 yrs in the making thru infertility treatments). I had a total melt down the day before and my surgeon gave me xanax. I took the day before and morning of surgery and it was wonderful. Fast forward to now and I work for my surgeon (I'm his surgical coordinator). I'm scheduled for a vag hyst bilat oophorectomy 10/21. I have an anesthesia consult 10/9 and the plan is propofol and spinal anesthesia not general. I have an rx for xanax to start as needed and the morning of. I think anxiety is normal to have and if you feel you need something ask for it. Doctors should oblige it's a big decision to go thru surgery and highly emotional. I had never taken anything like it before and I remember it made me a little sleepy, very agreeable to anything (hubby liked it) and when I arrived to check in felt great. I was surprised when the anesthesiologist told me I seemed a little nervous still so she put "something" in my IV also. I don't care what they give me as long as I wake up. Of course I've been told before that if there's a problem they can reverse the anesthesia quickly and bring me out.
Unread 09-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Re: Hysterectomy set for 9/30...pre-op anxiety or losing it? lol

Working in health care, especially since you are a nurse, we can let our minds go all over the board. We can also have higher expectations of our caregivers. I can take care of everybody else but freaked when it came to my own surgery. I cooked and cleaned like a banshee before, and did way too much internet surfing that made my fears worse. I found this site, and found the strength to sometimes back away not only from the computer but away from dwelling on the surgery. I was so fortunate to have a good experience and send you prayers for peace, calmness and hope for an outlook of feeling better.

Unread 09-26-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseluvnhonee View Post
Hi ladies!

I am new here and just wanted to ask a question about anxiety. I will be having a TAH next Wednesday for adenomyosis and endometriosis. My surgeon will be removing all the endometriosis that he can hence the abdominal versus vaginal. I am hoping to keep both ovaries for now but he will take them if they don't look healthy. I am a RN so I am very well versed in the procedure itself...etc....that's why I'm not sure where all this extreme anxiety is coming from?? I have history of anxiety but it has been well controlled with Paxil for years now. Over the past week or so it has been so out of control that I can't even function. My heart is pounding put of my chest and I constantly feel like I need to take a deep breath to catch my breath. Every minute seems to take an hour...I'm having trouble sleeping and feel nauseated. Anyone else have this or am I truly losing it? I also have my period right now which isn't helping matters but it does remind me why I really need to have this done! My periods have become so painful and heavy again that I actually ended up in ER last month for IV fluids...pain and nausea meds! I'm wondering if since I'm a nurse. ..I know about all the potential complications and that's in the back of my mind...I just don't know. Anyone need to take Xanax for a week pre op lol...because I'm about ready to ask for it! I think another big worry is pain control post op. I have been on some pretty hefty doses of pain meds for quite some time due to the above problems plus severe pain from an autoimmune disorder called Sjogrens. My pcp has been trying to wean me down but is allowing an increase for post op....I'm just afraid it's not going to be enough or he'll try and cut me back down before I'm healed and I'll have to suffer. .etc. Oh goodness....sorry to ramble on! Anyone have any thoughts for me? LoL
My hysterectomy is the same day as yours. I have adenomyosis as well . I'm very anxious and have that ... Am I going to make it through surgery thoughts all day every day. So your not alone. Your a nurse so are crazy to worry ? Or justifiable to worry?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register