Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 10-20-2016, 01:03 AM
Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy

I'm 3 weeks & 2 days post TAH & LSO, had RSO in May so no ovaries. Yesterday I had to put on a panty liner as I've started with a discharge that's light brown and definitely has a mild odor, not like a normal discharge odor. My pain hasn't been bad but gets bad in the evenings. I've been reading a lot and know discharge can be a completely normal part of healing, I'm just wondering if since there's an odor with it, with more pain in evenings, if I should call my dr in the morning? What do you sisters think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2016, 06:38 AM
Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy

As I've heard from other sisters, some brown discharge is normal around this time, as your vaginal cuff starts to heal, and the internal stitches start to dissolve; as my Internet research indicates, a smelly discharge might be caused by an infection. Your doctor is the best person to determine exactly what's going on, so I would definitely recommend speaking to him. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 10-20-2016, 07:27 AM
Re: Brown Discharge with mild odor 3 weeks post hysterectomy

More pain in the evenings is often a major indication of over-doing it during the day. Are you still mindful of all of your restrictions? Are you bending/stretching/lifting/pushing/pulling(this includes vacuuming, sweeping, and pushing heavy carts) too much?

The brown discharge and slightly off smell is most likely your internal stitches dissolving. Odor and discharge both are common. If you start to itch, your discharge gets heavier, or the odor becomes really strong, do put a call into your doctor to rule out a bacterial infection - but it's most likely just a normal part of healing.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks ladies! I did put a call into my dr just to check.
Mindy Lee, I did get out of the house 3 days in a row, but very short trips and I used a buggie each day to help me walk better.
Unread 10-20-2016, 10:01 PM

Well I ended up at the dr today and had a pelvic exam...that was about the most uncomfortable/painful thing ever. My temp was 99.2, so not officially a fever however my norm is around 97 and I've been on Naproxen so if I have a slight fever, that may have masked it. He took a sample of the discharge and said no bacteria so no infection. I was sent for blood work, no word on those results yet, and should be going tomorrow for a CT scan to check for a vaginal cuff abscess. Until results from the scan, he has instructed me to stay on the sofa or bed only getting up for the bathroom or a quick shower ... Just feels like I'm taking steps backwards

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register