Does anyone have sex (post op) without bleeding or pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone have sex (post op) without bleeding or pain? Does anyone have sex (post op) without bleeding or pain?

Unread 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have sex (post op) without bleeding or pain?

Hi Ladies,
During my recovery I have been reading many of the posts about sex after our hysterectomies and I fear that everyone experiences some sort of bleeding and pain....is that true? Is there anyone out there that resumed sex without any problems? Does it eventually get better? Is the bleeding because some women still have their cervix's? What causes the dryness? I should probably know this stuff because I'm 45 yrs old, but I don't. Please help me understand. Thanks. You have all been a wonderful support through my recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Re: Does anyone have sex (post op) without bleeding or pain?

i kept my cervix/ovaries and have no pain or bleeding with sex. i also dont have any problems with dryness but since i kept my ovaries and theyre working fine, i didnt expect to. ovary removal and menopause can cause dryness.
Unread 05-15-2009, 11:58 AM

When we resumed intercourse, there was no bleeding and no pain. However, due to complications we had to wait three months post op to resume intercourse. I had no issues with intercourse for years until I had some problems because of my endometriosis and adhesions that also created issues with my vaginal cuff.

I have not had any issues with dryness as I retained my ovaries so my hormones are fine. My cervix was removed so I have a vaginal cuff.

The pain and bleeding can be from the type of surgery, repairs that may have been done, vaginal dryness from hormonal issues, granulation on the vaginal cuff, still dissolving stitches, etc. etc. etc.!

Plan to take it slowly the first few times to see how you do. Be aware that you just had a major surgery and there could still be some healing going on so things might still be a bit sore here and there. Even if there is some pain and bleeding at first because you are not completely healed, with time things should improve!

Do be sure to wait until your doctor releases you to resume intercourse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm 42 years old and I had my cervix and one ovary removed. It's been about 8 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I haven't had any problems with vaginal dryness or bleeding after sex.
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

I am 44 years old, and I was able to keep both ovaries with my TAH. I saw my doctor on a Tuesday for my 6 week post-op, and we waited until Saturday. I had no pains or bleeding with our first encounter, or since. Mind you, that first encounter left alot to be desired for me (DH made out okay), but, that could have been because of several things. Looking back, I may have created my own "block" by being hesitant, wondering about pain and other issues, and maybe, my body just wasn't ready for that. I certainly felt that I was ready during weeks 2-3 post-op though!!

If you have had your ovaries removed, the ladies here on the boards highly praise the use of lubricant. If you have kept your ovaries, it's possible that they are not functioning 100% since the surgery, and you may still need the use of lubricant. Above all, try to relax, and enjoy the intimacy. Even if things aren't perfect, they will get better. If you are overly concerned, ask your SO to be very gentle, and let you take the lead.

Good luck in your recovery. Sending best wishes.....
Unread 05-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I started having sex again after the 11th week & have had no problems at all.
Unread 05-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Kept ovaries. No bleeding or pain for me either, no dryness even though 51 and having some other menopausal symptoms like hot flashes.
Unread 05-15-2009, 07:42 PM

I was cleared for sex at 4 weeks kept both ovaries and cervix...no pain or bleeding...the first time I used a lubericant just to be safe...I knew my ovaries hadn't kicked in yet. I also just like to use lubericants..
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM

No pain or bleeding here either! I have my cerix, and 1 ovary.
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:26 PM

41 yrs old had TVH no cervix kept ovaries haven't had any problems with bleeding dryness or pain cleared at 5 wks but waited until 6 wks post op before had intercourse

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register