Taking ovaries and depression/anxiety prior? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Taking ovaries and depression/anxiety prior? Taking ovaries and depression/anxiety prior?

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Taking ovaries and depression/anxiety prior?

I'm not sure if my doctor will be taking my ovaries until she gets inside and sees just how bad the cysts are on both of mine. I am a little concerned because I have struggled/managed depression for 25 yrs and the stories of the moodiness, crying spells etc from hysterectomy stories have me worried. Being thrown into mentapause scares me to death because I already have struggled with sadness/depression. I take daily psych meds already, and am fearful of how much this could turn into more problems for me mentally. Advice from our systers here that have knowledge/experience in this area is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Re: Taking ovaries and depression/anxiety prior?

I'm having both of mine removed. I really have no choice where I have stage 4 endometriosis. But they gave me this Depot shot to stop the Endo from spreading so it pretty much just threw me into Menopause. It's really not as bad as it sounds. The worst part really is the hot flashes. At least that's from my point of view from it.

But if they do take both of them, they can give you a patch for a hormone replacement.

I would like to let you know though, that this site is AMAZING... Everyone on here is SOOOO helpful and they're going through or have already been through what you're going through now. I LOVE this site. So whenever you feel depressed or stressed out, remember that we're always here =)
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine B View Post
I'm not sure if my doctor will be taking my ovaries until she gets inside and sees just how bad the cysts are on both of mine. I am a little concerned because I have struggled/managed depression for 25 yrs and the stories of the moodiness, crying spells etc from hysterectomy stories have me worried. Being thrown into mentapause scares me to death because I already have struggled with sadness/depression. I take daily psych meds already, and am fearful of how much this could turn into more problems for me mentally. Advice from our systers here that have knowledge/experience in this area is greatly appreciated.
Hi Christine. I also suffer from depression for over 20 years. Must admit I was really more depressed for a while and it seemed to be more situational. I started menopause about 2 weeks after surgery and like you described above had moodiness, sudden crying spells, etc. I too take an antidepressant. Initially I did feel worse, but as I have progressed after my surgery I have started to feel better and have had much less crying spells; I also started on HRT. I would discuss this with whoever prescribes your psych meds if you haven't already, tell them your concerns and especially talk to friends and family to make them aware. I wish you the very best sweetie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM

i have bipolar disorder and ptsd and anxiety and on meds for many years. i haven't had my hysterectomy yet but i had a lupron injection which shuts down your ovaries and makes you into menopause. i had a horrible reason reaction to losing all my hormone and it made me suicidal. just make sure the doctor puts you on hormones asap. let the dr know how concerned you are. i would think as long as you have hormones in your system natural or not you should be ok.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM

I have anxiety disorder and have had it for years and take medication for it. I was also freaked out about the idea of being flung into instant menopause (that's how I saw it). It's not as bad as all that. Yes, I'm one of the ones that had hot flashes the very first day. Within 2 nights I had nightsweats. Here's the way I saw it, the hot flashes, are a little scary the first time, but you will cool down again (if you get anxiety, they just last longer). As for the moodiness, weepiness, irritability, those things feel to me almost exactly like PMS. Several of the sisters who had surgery the same week I did, didn't have hotflashes or very few. Several women do report the moodiness and weepiness. It doesn't feel like outright depression, though. It has a different quality. My doc started me on HRT at 10 days out. All the PMS-y stuff went away. Don't get yourself all worried. It's not as bad as clinical depression, and it didn't throw me back into anxiety or depression.
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

I had a TAH and both ovaries removed on Jan 2nd. When I was told I had to have both ovaries removed that bothered me immensly. More so than the actual hysterectomy. I was worried about hormones and not being myself too.I am 47. So far, I have not had any hot flashes or any major emotional issues associated with it. I was a Type A personality before the surgery. I am kind of unemotional right now. Not sure if all this will continue but so far all is okay. I guess everyone is a bit different. Best Wishes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register