what should I ask the doc? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what should I ask the doc? what should I ask the doc?

Unread 06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
what should I ask the doc?

I due to see the consultant on Thursday the 11th about having a hyst due to a cervical prolapse ,heavy ,painful periods and endo also the doctor said today my bladder is swollen ....IS ANYTHING WORKING DOWN THERE? ..........I,m 99% sure having a hyst is the right thing to do now. I can,t cope with the heavy painful periods every month .Its effecting my quality of life I,m having to do almost nothing for 2-3 days every month! Not being one to sit down or take it easy this is driving me mad .
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what questions I should ask the doc I ,m sure I will think of some after the consultation but right now I ,m soooooooooooooooo nervous I can,t think striaght .
Thanks for any advice.
Britannia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Britannia ~

Looking back I know I didn't ask enough questions about long term effects of my hyst. I just wanted the whole thing to go away. I wish I had asked more questions, I still would have had to have it, I just would have been more prepared for the emotional aspect.

Reading your profile I see you have two small children, are you ready not to be able to have more? I realize the pain and bleeding are awful, but so is the not being able to have your own babies. Be sure of this before you do anything, it's forever. That's the one thing I wish my doctor would have stressed more. It can't be undone.

I also didn't really think about who would help me with recovery. With two small children, that is something to seriously consider. I wouldn't have been able to take care of small children by myself for the first couple of weeks.

I don't know if I've been any help, and hopefully you've thought about all this.

Best wishes! Ginger
Unread 06-08-2005, 05:11 AM

HI britannia

I understand how nerves can get the best of us. I think it may be very helpful to write down a list of questions as you think of them. That way you can take the list of questions when you go to your doctors appointment and it will be easier to remember what you would like to ask the doctor.

We have an entire resource section and it may be helpful to read some articles about your current conditions. You will find an entire section that deals specifically with prolapse, bladder matters, heavy periods and another section for endometriosis.

Resources

I am sure that we each have our own list of questions we should have asked our doctors before surgery. The one thing I struggled with that I never talked about with my doctor was hormone therapy. I had my ovaries removed because I had endometriosis and my biggest struggle after my surgery was hormone related. I physically healed fine, but I was not prepared for the emotional issues I had to deal with due to the lack of hormones.

Here is a link to our Pre-op Checkpoints sections. There are some suggestions listed of basic questions that you might want to read over and there may be some helpful hints in there of questions to ask. Pre-op Checkpoints

Best Wishes on your upcoming doctors appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register