Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hysterectomies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hysterectomies Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hysterectomies

Unread 05-17-2001, 10:09 AM
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hysterectomies

I am new to this board, and am enjoying cruising around gleaning information from you experienced ladies! I have IBS, and it flares monthly and mid-monthly. I was wondering if any of you have or had IBS, and whether having the surgery helped this condition as well. My feeling is that hormones play a part in IBS, and having this part of my body regulated would help. My doctor is talking about a vaginal hysterectomy because of a sagging uterus, pulling on my right ovary, causing pain, and also heavy periods with lots of clotting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 11:41 AM

Hi there
I have had IBS for many, many years. My dr. was hoping to clear it up with my hyst (I had LAVH). Unfortunately, it did not help. In fact, it's a little worse. But I take Immodium when it flares up and it tends to calm things down inside. As more time goes by, the IBS is settling back down (I'm sure the surgery and things flared it up) and I'm about back to the way I was before my hyst.

Hopefully, your dr. can see what's going on with you and help you out. It's definitely not a fun thing to have.
Unread 05-17-2001, 03:07 PM

Hello. I have had IBS for almost 7 years now. My symptoms of it are daily with pain and mostly diarrhea with occasional constipation. I just had a hysterectomy last week. I am 8 days post op. As far as my symptoms right now they are a little bit worse than they were pre surgery but it is most likely due to the manipulation of bowel during surgery. I had a TAH/RSO. If my IBS symptoms are not changed i figure I didn't really lose out on anything. But even if they don't change from the daily symptoms atleas I know that it won't get worse when I have my period. My pain from ibs got atleast 90% worse with my period and to make it even worse I had my period every 2 weeks (start of one to start of another) and they lasted a minimum of 8 days very heavy. also in between I would ovulate. after many tests and whatnot it was determined that this was my cycle..... Start period, last for 8 days, nothing for 2 days then ovulate, have pain and symptoms from that for 3 days, have one day off and start my period again. This went on nonstop for 2 years, finally had hyst. I know atleast now I won't have that cycle to deal with on top of the ibs so the ibs won't get worse from that. I expect it will atleast either stay the same but without the peaks and valleys with my menstrual cycle, or I will begin to finally feel a lot better. But won't know until completely healed.

So I wish you lots of luck and let us know what you decide to do. If you want other people to talk to about your IBS I belong to an online support group for IBS, they are all fantastic there, here's the website if you want to check it out... http://www.ibsgroup.org

Taking one day at a time:
Sandi
8days post-op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 08:40 PM

Hi. I also have IBS. Mine is mostly consitpation with only occasional diarhea. My biggest concern is the pain meds. I had a laporoscopy done 18 months ago and the worst part was the pain meds causing more constipation. I'm really not expecting the hyst to improve my IBS but is sure would be nice if it would. My date is June 21 and I'm starting to get a little anxioius about it.
Unread 05-18-2001, 05:50 AM
IBS

Hi IBS companions,
I've been suffering from IBS for about 5 or 6 years now. I was hoping that a total LAVH in April would take care of it and I'm still waiting for things to improve. Actually yesterday was the first morning I only had one BM (compared to 4 or 5 I usually had the first 3 hours after I woke up). I'm taking a tablespoon of psyillium seed husk in 10 oz. of OJ morning and nite and for the first time in 6 years I'm not having diarhea. I had a lot of endometriosis, but DR says nothing on my intestines and I too, was hoping that my IBS would be gone. Well, it's not gone yet, but I see signs of improvement. It's only been 5 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I'm looking forward to more improvement.

PS - Thanks for the IBS group site. I'm visiting there next.
Unread 05-18-2001, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. I already belong to the ibsgroup.org board, under the name slb. I'll be looking for you all over there!
Unread 05-19-2001, 09:30 AM
Thank you Sandi!

Sandi,
I wanted to thank you for posting the link to ibsgroup.org! I guess I thought I was the only one to suffer from this and visited the board for the first time yesterday. I must have sat there crying over all the posts for an hour! I never knew someone else had the same problems as me. I would stop 2 or more times on the way to work just to use the restroom. But, I'll save all that for the other forum where it belongs.

I just wanted to send you a heartfelt THANKS to you for sharing this info! {{{{{{Sandi}}}}}}

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register