Did my pre-op today ...& another question/comment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did my pre-op today ...& another question/comment Did my pre-op today ...& another question/comment

Unread 05-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Did my pre-op today ...& another question/comment

I went to for a scheduled pre-op. Today is Thursday, May 18. My Hysterectomy will be in one week, Thursday May 25 5:30 am. The op-nurse told me that I need to do ANOTHER pre-op blood draw prior to surgery because they want to see it no more than 72 hours before. Why in sam hell did they make be drive there today to do this if they want me to come in a day or two before? I also did the ekg and chest xray today, but that could have been done 3 days before also! When I did my D&C they drew blood right there (my pre-ops were 10 days old). I had, and think I still have, an infection from a tooth that I have been taking antibiotics for. I guess I am upset too because my truck is a gas guzzler ...but I know that is not anything compared to this hysterectomy potentially saving my life by getting rid of my uterine cancer. I shouldn't ***** too much!

BTW, I went to one of my favorite thrift stores and found a light-weight cotton robe. I also found a men's thick terrycloth robe there (new still with tags) but I don't know if I will be too hot in that. I might give that one to my 82 year old dad. Still no slippers, so I'll have to use the ones that my cat tore apart.

-Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM

I hear you on the re-do on the blood test. I didn't have to make a special trip but I had to give another urine sample when I went for my lap/scope in March. But when I was at my pre-op for it I was asked for the urine sample and after I did it I was told it wasn't needed. The reason being that they have to do a pregnancy test no more than 4 days before the procedure. I was 6 days away. Now what are the chances that a woman with her tubes tied and an ablation would be pregnant? I told the woman it would make the paper if I was pregnant. She failed to see the humor and told it was policy. Told me I shouldn't "waste" any urine on surgery day and ask to give the sample as soon as I checked-in. I have my pre-op for my hyst. tomorrow. I imagine I will be told the same thing.
Glad you found your robe. I never wear one but dug mine out just in case I decide I need it. I seem to be pulling out or buying a lot of just in case items these days.
Beautiful Bakersfield, gateway to Las Vegas.
Unread 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM

They told me they were doing a pregnancy test on me too sheeeesh! And no, the lab people just do their job and don't think the jokes about miracle pregnancies are funny at all. Maybe they just need all this pee for their first year med students to analyze. That's fine with me.

I am a Los Angeles transplant living in Tehachapi, about 50 miles east of Bakersfield, CA. I live at 4500 feet in the high dessert mountains. I have been here just over 5 years. May I say that you are way too kind to call Bakersfield "Beautiful" (unless that was a joke, and I just didn't get it! ) I have not found the charm to that city yet! The air is more polluted than LA ever was! When I lived in LA Bakersfield was to me a place to grab a bite and gas-up while on route to somewhere else. Now it is where I only go there for doctor and dentist appointments, and then I take advantage of some of the bigger chain stores if I need something, since I am already there. But, they do have a Trader Joes, so I guess it really isn't all that bad!

Now, the town of Atlanta and it's outskirts has some nice scenery! I was there many years ago when CNN first started. My brother worked there during its first few years. At least there are things to do in Atlanta, if one chooses!

Rootin' for you too!
-Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 08:47 PM

Just kidding about the beauty of Bakersfield. What mainly stands out in my mind about it is the huge McDonald's where all of the tour buses stop on the way to or from somewhere. Almost 11p.m. here and way past my bedtime.
Unread 05-19-2006, 03:19 AM

Personally, I think insurance companies need to have clauses regarding mandatory tests for specific surgeries. Clearly documented in my files was the removal of my fallopian tubes in 1982. It would not have taken a rocket scientist to know I couldn't get pregnant without the aid of a donor and a petri dish. And why on earth would I be at a pre-op for a TAH if I had taken all those step and money to conceive?! I've refused for years to pay for pregnancy tests because of the absense of my fallopian tubes. I can guarantee you I'll NEVER consent to one again! LOL!

Maxine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register