New with questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New with questions New with questions

Unread 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
New with questions

I go to my pre op appointment and registration at the hospital on the 1 of dec. I go to my doctor on at 9:30 am for my pre op and then i go to the hospital at 10:30 Am to pre register. How long did your doctor tell you, that you have to be out of work? How long do you have to be in the hospital? The surgery nurse that schedules the surgery for my doctor i asked her how long i had to be in the hospital she said for that day that i have my surgery and she said i would go home the day after my surgery. How long did they tell you that you have to be out of work? The nurse told me that i have to be out 2 week from work. I am going to ask my doctor and see what he said about how long i have to be out of work. Also my surgery is scheduled on dec 7 at 10:00 am i have to be at the hospital at 8:00 am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Re: New with questions

Hi. Unfortunately, there is no exact answer to your questions about length of hospital stay. Everyone's is very different. I was in the hospital for 6 days, some go home after 1. It truly depends on the type of surgery, how well you are doing and your doctor.

As for time off of work, that varies as well. My best advice is to take as long as your job will allow. For me, even 6 weeks was too soon even though I thought I was OK, I really wasn't because I was still very tired and kind of sensitive. If you have a stressful job, it might be overwhelming if you go back too soon.

Be sure to join the pre-op chat on 12/3. You will find it very helpful.

I wish you the best surgery and recovery and am glad you found this site. It helped me sooooo much during my recovery!

Unread 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM

It is so different among everyone as to hospitalization times. A lot depends on type of surgery and your doctor. I would definitely listen to the doctor and take the time if you need it. I had DVH and returned after three weeks and then did too much so ended up in hospital two times since then. So do take care of yourself and know that all of us are with you throughout the whole process. I get great advice from everyone. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Thank you thats what i needed to know. My job is stressfull i work at a bowling alley and i was dishes and i also do the registar also i am on my feet all the time.
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:34 PM

it all depends on the type of surgery you will be having.......and is different for everyone. I had a TAH/BSO and was in the hospital 3 days and dr. has said 6-8 weeks before I can return to work. My job requires a lot of lifting, bending, ect. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery!
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Hi there lilangel2009 you don't say what procedure your having i am 3weeks and 3 days post op TAH went to hospital on Monday home on Thursday i'm still weak and sore but feeling stronger each day, how ever there's no way i would be able to stand for a long time and you can't lift anything for 6 to 8 weeks it sounds like your job would involve lifting and bending all the best.
Unread 11-25-2009, 07:07 PM

I want find out what type of procedure i am having until Dec 1 at 9:30 am
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Is there any way you can call the Dr's office and ask what type of procedure you are having? It would be helpful to know so you will be able to plan for your recovery at home. If you have a TAH, you will need some help. If you are having a less invasive procedure, you won't need much help. Your Dr has plans, you just need to know what they are. It isn't unreasonable to know what to expect.
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM

it is the less invassive prodecure they are doing but they told me that i would need my husband to be home with for a week because they don't want me to pick up on my children or cleaning the apt.
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:48 AM

I would definitely find out what the doctor plans to do. The more you know, the better off you will be. I didn't find this site until after mine was completed. The doctor did answer all the questions I had and I had found other information about my procedure before I had it done but nothing like this site. I now know that more information is better. I have had some setbacks over my recovery and this site helped me to realize what was normal and what wasn't so I didn't sound like an idiot. Having information is power and it really has helped me now to know what to expect because as you have probably realized all procedures are different with different recovery times. Wishing you all the best and happy holidays.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register