eating before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

eating before surgery eating before surgery

Unread 12-17-2003, 05:03 PM
eating before surgery

Just got the standard no eating after midnight directive from my doctor. Thing is, my surgery isn't until 1:00 in the afternoon. (That really stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm sure he would have told me the same thing if I had an early morning time. Is there something magical about midnight? Wouldn't it make more sense to give a time frame such as nothing 8 hours prior to surgery? I mean, I'll be going 13 hours without eating before surgery, and who knows how long afterwards. Anyone else have an afternoon surgery, and if so, what did your doctor say about eating prior to surgery? I'm thinking about a bowl of chicken noodle soup about 4:00 a.m., since I'm sure I won't be able to sleep anyway. I'm sure I won't feel much like eating for some time after surgery, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to give my body a little nourishment before I go in. I think my doctor is being a little conservative with his time frame. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2003, 05:07 PM
eating before surgery

Hi. My surgery was scheduled for noon and my doctor said nothing to eat or drink after midnight. However, when I went to the hospital a few days before for my pre-op visit, they said that I could have a clear liquid diet up until 8 am, but then nothing. They gave me a list of things I could have. Tempted as I was, I still didn't even have water after midnight. I just felt better doing it that way. But then, the surgery before lasted longer than expected, so my surgery didn't start until 2. That was a long time, but my mind was so occupied it didn't really bother me. I went with what my doctor said to do.

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-17-2003, 05:19 PM
eating before surgery

Hi!
I just came in from my pre-op. NO food or drink after midnight...
I asked the reason why, as mine too was scheduled for the afternoon. I calculated 13 hours on empty. Yipes!!
The anesthesiologist said that since we are put into a state similar to a coma, at times the body has a reflux and it is greatly complicated by any thing in the stomach. It can be aspirated by your lungs, and then you will be dealing with a possible life threatening issue. Pneumonia being the least of your worries if you vomit during surgery.
Please, follow their recommendations. It isn't a matter of nourishing our bodies that should be of concern, it is a matter of taking the necessary precations. It is only one day after all...
Some will allow a clear broth, most won't. Conservative, yes. You would hate to have your surgery cancelled if you went against the recommendations, wouldn't you?
My hospital cancels if we eat or drink anything.
One day won't kill us.
In the end, I know, the decision is yours. Best ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
eating before surgery

my surgery was scheduled for noon. my md told me no food/fluids after midnight. He also said that someone might tell me that I could have clear liquids later than midnight.. he was very clear that the surgery would be canceled by the anesthesologist (sp) .. I didn't have surgery until 1pm with dinner at 7pm the night before. I really did want some water... On the other hand I had no post surgery nausea nor any other issues..

- pat
Unread 12-17-2003, 05:42 PM
eating before surgery

I am 8 days post op and my dr. had me on a liquid diet 2 days prior and a clear liquid only one day prior and then an enema and nothing after midnight. She said it's been discovered there is less chance of infection if the bowels are clear -especially if they are nicked accidentally. Also no eating for the same reason the person above mentioned. My surgery (TAH/BSO) was at 11:15am and I thought I'd be hungry but the nerves made me care less about food. I also did not get real food for 2 days after surgery. You have to pass gas before they let you eat solid food. It didn't matter then either.
You will be just fine, I'm sure. Lots of luck with your surgery.
Liters50
Unread 12-17-2003, 06:01 PM
eating before surgery

For the reasons the others have stated, you should follow your doctors orders for nothing to eat or drink after midnight. It's important that your stomach be empty.

If you still feel that you will need nourishment after midnight, please discuss it with your own doctor. It would be a shame to have your surgery cancelled because of this.
Unread 12-17-2003, 07:34 PM
eating before surgery

The worst for me when I had my myomectomy at 3:00 PM was the nothing to drink after midnight. I'm a diet cokeaholic and the no caffeine thing killed me. I had a terrible headache on top of being hungry. This go 'round, I've already started cutting back on caffeine 'cuz my doctor only does surgery in the afternoon and I don't want to feel that way.
Unread 12-17-2003, 11:12 PM
eating before surgery

well i guess im the lucky one this time i told my nurse i have small children in school and i request that i go in the am so they would not miss school and my mother and other family members could be at the hospital and home in time for my children to get home so she said she will let the doctor know and it will proble be a am hyst now they told me not to eat drink after mindight and thats ok with me but they also told me no smoking 24 hours befor im like oh man no way thats my pain there grrr lol but if thats what they want me to do then thats what i have to do
hugs karlene
Unread 12-18-2003, 05:30 AM
eating before surgery

Several people have mentioned the possibility of surgery being canceled if you eat after the time you've been told not to. And the reasons for the restrictions.

Please don't "sneak" anything with the thought that what they (DR and anesthesiologist) don't know won't hurt, cause it can. They perform the surgery believing that the instructions you were given were followed. If they don't know you didn't follow those instructions to the letter it can cause serious complications.

You pay your DR for his experience and expertise. If you have doubts about his judgment you should possibly cancel your surgery and find a DR you do trust.

It can't hurt to call and ask about having some clear broth a few hours after midnight, but if the answer is still no, then please listen.

Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register