Upcoming hysterectomy: Treadmill during recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Treadmill during recovery Upcoming hysterectomy: Treadmill during recovery

Unread 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Treadmill during recovery

its cold outside and soon with ice and snow I'm sure during post op I won't hazard it. However I have a neglected treadmill here I'm wondering if it's safe to use post op. Having davinci total hysterectomy (keeping ovaries) and sacralcolpoplexy (mesh) bladder sling and rectocele repair. I'm not over weight, don't smoke, but I am out of shape a bit. A little soft and get out of breath easily right now. If I'm going to be needing to walk to aid healing/ recovery then I thought the treadmill would be safer than unsafe terrain outside far away from a bathroom or sofa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Re: Treadmill during recovery

If I'd had to cope with snow or ice, I'd probably have considered one. It's probably a good idea as long as it's set on a relatively unchallenging setting and you don't walk more than small distances at first.
Unread 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia chick View Post
its cold outside and soon with ice and snow I'm sure during post op I won't hazard it. However I have a neglected treadmill here I'm wondering if it's safe to use post op. Having davinci total hysterectomy (keeping ovaries) and sacralcolpoplexy (mesh) bladder sling and rectocele repair. I'm not over weight, don't smoke, but I am out of shape a bit. A little soft and get out of breath easily right now. If I'm going to be needing to walk to aid healing/ recovery then I thought the treadmill would be safer than unsafe terrain outside far away from a bathroom or sofa.
I have been loving my treadmill during recovery! I am 16 days postop DaVinci Total Hyst (got to keep left ovary! Yay!!) check with your Dr... Mine said I could walk as much as I felt "up to" but no "real workouts" until after 6 week checkup.

Everyone is SO different, but my experience so far has been great! super focused on healing RIGHT. (We only get one chance at it!) I am having a super *phenomenal* surgery experience so far with no complications or bleeding or spotting and very manageable pain levels - no narcotics needed, just Motrin/Tylenol and a heating pad. And have not even needed those since day 10.

What a pleasant surprise! So, that makes a big difference in the ability to do things. I am determined to take it slow. I just COMPLETELY rested the whole 1st week at home. Even stayed completely UPSTAIRS in my beautiful CLEAN room (pre-prepared "nest") did not even venture downstairs - so I wouldn't be tempted to clean or do dishes, etc. (I can't be trusted!! Haha!) I left all the housework and kids in the hands of my awesome hubby and out of sight meant out of mind! What a blessing, my sweet hubby prepared & served my meals to me up in bed - felt like quite a Princess!!

So I walked a lot at the hospital every time I got up to pee (which was often due to the IV)
Then at home I made sure to walk laps gently around my room and the hallway every 2 hours for 10 minutes (to prevent blood clots and stretch) for that whole first week of resting

Then I started going up and downstairs on day 8 and eating at the table, resting on couch instead of bed. While increasing laps around the downstairs. I then added walking on the Treadmill for 15 mins, super slow speed on Day 10. I have been gradually increasing my treadmill time each day and resting well before and afterward while also slowly increasing my other exertions around the house with very light activities.
So now I am at Day 16 and walking 30 - 40 minutes on the treadmill at increased but still relatively slow speed (2.5, no incline) I am just listening to my body and trying not to push it or overdo. And I have been really pleased with my body's response so far! Feeling like it is easier and easier to walk further and a little faster each day, definitely making gains! I will keep you posted.
Today I walked 1 and a half miles with no discomfort! Go me! Feeling good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Clear it with your doc, clear it with your doc, clear it with your doc. And don't set it for any kind of incline.

I know of at least one sister whose doc said OK to the treadmill because (and only because) her allergies made it impossible for her to walk outside.
Unread 12-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulsoul View Post
I have been loving my treadmill during recovery! I am 16 days postop DaVinci Total Hyst (got to keep left ovary! Yay!!) check with your Dr... Mine said I could walk as much as I felt "up to" but no "real workouts" until after 6 week checkup.

Everyone is SO different, but my experience so far has been great! super focused on healing RIGHT. (We only get one chance at it!) I am having a super *phenomenal* surgery experience so far with no complications or bleeding or spotting and very manageable pain levels - no narcotics needed, just Motrin/Tylenol and a heating pad. And have not even needed those since day 10.

What a pleasant surprise! So, that makes a big difference in the ability to do things. I am determined to take it slow. I just COMPLETELY rested the whole 1st week at home. Even stayed completely UPSTAIRS in my beautiful CLEAN room (pre-prepared "nest") did not even venture downstairs - so I wouldn't be tempted to clean or do dishes, etc. (I can't be trusted!! Haha!) I left all the housework and kids in the hands of my awesome hubby and out of sight meant out of mind! What a blessing, my sweet hubby prepared & served my meals to me up in bed - felt like quite a Princess!!

So I walked a lot at the hospital every time I got up to pee (which was often due to the IV)
Then at home I made sure to walk laps gently around my room and the hallway every 2 hours for 10 minutes (to prevent blood clots and stretch) for that whole first week of resting

Then I started going up and downstairs on day 8 and eating at the table, resting on couch instead of bed. While increasing laps around the downstairs. I then added walking on the Treadmill for 15 mins, super slow speed on Day 10. I have been gradually increasing my treadmill time each day and resting well before and afterward while also slowly increasing my other exertions around the house with very light activities.
So now I am at Day 16 and walking 30 - 40 minutes on the treadmill at increased but still relatively slow speed (2.5, no incline) I am just listening to my body and trying not to push it or overdo. And I have been really pleased with my body's response so far! Feeling like it is easier and easier to walk further and a little faster each day, definitely making gains! I will keep you posted.
Today I walked 1 and a half miles with no discomfort! Go me! Feeling good!
So good to hear such a great recovery story. I'm going to also take the advice and ask my doc but I am hoping to follow your lead. Definitely keep me posted. I also am going through the nesting and over preparing. I'll be home alone during at least the first week. Divorced and kids will be with their dad. Nervous about being on my own but glad I won't be responsible for anyone other than me and my dog. I'm having so much done I'm worried my recovery may be a bit slower but I am determined to do my best to heal and not over or under do.
Unread 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So good to hear such a great recovery story. I'm going to also take the advice and ask my doc but I am hoping to follow your lead. Definitely keep me posted. I also am going through the nesting and over preparing. I'll be home alone during at least the first week. Divorced and kids will be with their dad. Nervous about being on my own but glad I won't be responsible for anyone other than me and my dog. I'm having so much done I'm worried my recovery may be a bit slower but I am determined to do my best to heal and not over or under do.
Nesting is important. When I got home from the hospital and looked around the apartment and thought of how much work I'd put into getting it ready, I felt more confident about being able to take care of myself.

Even little things made a difference. The fluffy new towels I'd bought just before surgery were waiting for me after my first post-surgery shower. The rhubarb sauce I'd stewed up just before surgery and the yogurt I'd bought tasted great for my first meal at home. My bed was waiting for me with freshly laundered sheets. Everything said, "Welcome home! It's gonna be okay."

And it was.
Unread 12-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Nesting is important. When I got home from the hospital and looked around the apartment and thought of how much work I'd put into getting it ready, I felt more confident about being able to take care of myself.

Even little things made a difference. The fluffy new towels I'd bought just before surgery were waiting for me after my first post-surgery shower. The rhubarb sauce I'd stewed up just before surgery and the yogurt I'd bought tasted great for my first meal at home. My bed was waiting for me with freshly laundered sheets. Everything said, "Welcome home! It's gonna be okay."

And it was.
That's exactly what I hope my welcome home will feel like. Now I'm wanting to make the Rhubarb sauce, lol.
Unread 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Treadmill during recovery

Quote:
Wishing you the best! Hope your experience is as trouble free and tolerable as mine has been! It is so good that you are nesting and over preparing! That will be key for you since you will be your own. One tip, I cooked and froze some delicious home made hearty soups with tons of vegetables and also some muffins - highly recommend. It was so nice to have comforting warm fresh nutrient dense food to eat without having to spend any energy preparing it. Just placed the soup in a pot and let it warm up, thaw and simmer all day. Easy pleasey! Also make sure you have lots of fruit and frozen fruit (especially frozen banana slices) and fruit juices on hand for smoothies- another great way to get your nutrients and so easy and tasty. Smoothies are a great way to "hide" your prune juice too (since it has such a strong flavor) so you can avoid constipation the natural, gentle way. My favorite smoothie "recipe" right now is 4 oz prune juice, a single serve cup of refrigerated pears in juice, not "syrup" (pears are good for constipation), 3 slices ripe frozen banana (for creaminess and sweetness), 5 frozen strawberries, 4 tart frozen dark cherries, 3 chunks frozen pineapple, add some frozen blueberries and splashes of orange and apple juice to taste. Throw it all in the blender and hit go. You really can't mess up smoothies, just use fruits you like and keep tasting it and adding stuff until you get what you like. I also enjoy coconut milk, and shredded coconut in mine too.
BTW, I walked a new Personal Best today (Day 17) 2 miles, 50 mins on the treadmill! Yay! Felt great, no pain, no spotting, no swelling in belly (Used slow speeds of 2 - 2.5 up to 2.8, No incline! All flat). So that is nice progress from my 15 minutes on Day 10. Taking it slow just feeling stronger!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register