13 days post op, lots of gas pains... | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

13 days post op, lots of gas pains... 13 days post op, lots of gas pains...

Unread 10-22-2006, 06:33 PM
13 days post op, lots of gas pains...

I had my TAH on 10/9, and while taking the stool softeners, I have terrible gas pains. I stopped taking them at one week p/o, but after 3 days of no bm, started taking them again (figured my body wasn't ready yet after all!). Now that I've been taking them again for 3 days, I have terrible gas pains again. Any thoughts?

Also, the entire left side of my incision hurts alog, a bad burning pain, whether I'm sitting or standing or laying down. My incision is a bikini cut.

I'm excited to have found this board for support, I'm feeling like I'm starting to flounder, I have 3 kids and a hubby that works way too much, and I'm really overdoing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2006, 09:16 PM

I am the same point of post op as you, 10/9 for a SAH.
I too have the gas pains that seem to come out of no where. I think a lot has to do with them removing endo from my intestines and then putting them back. IT takes time for us to heal inside and we think of only our uterus being removed but so much was pushed and pulled.
I had diarrhea more before this procedure, it took me two days in the hospital before I passed gas. Once home, I went to pass gas and ended up "going" in my pants, it was terrible not knowing what was coming out. Then the following week to 10 days i have been having 3-5 or more BM's that were so soft, actually they still are but now getting not as many.
I hate the pain though and sometimes sit on the pot praying I will pass gas to relieve it and nothing, later it works. I ended up buying prunes too, just in case.
I know I am not much help but really think it is all due to us still healing inside. I look forward to a better day.
Otherwise I am doing pretty good.
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately - the gas pains are normal. Try Gas-X. That seems to work for a lot of women. The only thing that I found to help me was drinking ginger ale. Hang in there - it does get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
5 days post op and full of gas.

I am only 5 days post op and today has been the worst day so faras far as gas. Out of nowhere gas pains started and burping etc. It would calm down for awhile and start all over again. I found taking antacids did help temporarily. Everyone I have asked about this said it is very normal since things get moved around while they are in there and thus the gas. I also wasnt on my best behavior today as far as relaxing alot and walking little. So this may have got everything moving around a little to quickly.

This website is such a great tool for info and support.

Thanks to all and good luck with recovery. Jenn
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:56 PM

I developed a great fondness for Pepcid-AC. As for stool softeners, in addition to or in lieu of, drink water as if you're lost in the desert, eat a salad a day with olive/flax seed oil, fresh fruit, walk a bit, drink strong coffee.
Also, don't set your recovery off schedule by overdoing it. Develop a high tolerance for mess and disorder, and a low tolerance for things that get in the way of your care.
Unread 10-23-2006, 05:38 PM

I am slowly figuring out my "new" bowel habits-- learning a new me. I can already see being 2 weeks post op how much better I get each day.
Still have an occasion pain from no where, I relax and it fades.
Unread 10-23-2006, 05:41 PM

LOL! I am learning mess is okay! I told me son that the carpet needed to be vacuumed, of course he (28) said there is nothing wrong with it, I said it is turning WHITE from the German Shepherd (Can't figure out why they shed the color opposite of the rug all the time!)
Actually I am working hard at allowing all the men in the household to do things and telling them this for the next four more weeks!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register