Please tell me I can hang on this long! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please tell me I can hang on this long! Please tell me I can hang on this long!

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Please tell me I can hang on this long!

I had an ablation last February, along with removal of a lot of adhesions and excision of as much of endo as they could safely get. During that surgery they also found a lot of adenomyosis. I'm not sure how big my uterus is, she just told me it was "enlarged and boggy." My belly has been getting bigger and bigger, so maybe that is why (I hope). I felt really good for about 2 months after that surgery, and then it has been downhill since then. When I went back to the dr. last May, she suggested a hyst and DH and I felt like at this point that was the only alternative, having tried everything else more conservative. I've already done 2 rounds of Lupron, had 2 prior laps with excision of endo, tried the Pill . . .

I didn't want to have the surgery while my kids were out of school for the summer, so we decided to put if off until the fall. In May, I was only having pain about 10 days out of the month, and could control with with 600-800 motrin. My pain has gotten much worse over the last few months, now it is every day and it is really hard to push through it. My dr has given me narcotics for pain relief, but I don't like to take them. Until the last month or so, I have never even felt like I needed something stronger than motrin or aleve during the day.

Right now, my LAVH is scheduled for October 16. This was because of things DH and I have going on, and also hoping my mom will be able to come stay with us for a few days right after my surgery to help with the kids. My dr can do it much sooner, but I don't really have any way that I can go sooner. I'm just not sure how I am going to make it 2 more months in this much pain.

Sorry this is such a long and whiny post I'm not even really sure why I put all this here, except I really need someone to tell me I will make it until October.

Claire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:16 AM

S

I'm sorry that you've been having to deal with so much.
I understand your not liking to take meds, I don't either. But please take your meds when you need them. It doesn't help you or anyone else to just keep hurting like that
I'm sending lots of good wishes that it will ease up and your wait won't be sooo bad.

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:23 AM

Dear Claire,

I am right there with you, sister. I too suffer from gut pain (in my case due to jumbo fibroids as well as an enlarged uterus) and take vicodin (a narcotic) to control the pain. I hear you!! Taking that stuff makes me balloon-headed all day and you never know if a) it will make you extra-sleepy or b) it will keep you awake all night. I'd never dispatch medical advice, but my dr told me that I could take 2 vicodin & 2 ibuprofen -- do not do this based on my experience -- please ask your dr what is right for you.

Regarding the ongoing pain, IMHO, if your dr can get you through this operation faster, it seems to me like the inconvenience of pushing other activities aside would be worth it ... to stop the pain ... and move forward with your life.

Only you know best though, and whatever you decide, I'm right here with you, respecting and supporting your decision.

Hang in there!!

Donna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:28 AM

Hi Claire,

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. Sometimes when we resign ourselves to our decision we allow ourselves to feel all the things we were ignoring to this point. Jean's right. Take your pain meds if they give you relief. You don't deserve to live in so much pain. Isn't it strange how we tend to put our needs off for everyone else's schedule and convenience? Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

Tracy
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:10 AM

I am sorry you are so painful! My pain is not so bad, probably similar to what you experienced in May. My surgery is 8/23 and has been scheduled for 3 mos. If I could have done it sooner, I would have. Not just because of pain, but because on the anxiety of waiting. I would encourage you to consider having the surgery sooner. Are you really going to enjoy the things you have planned if you are painful or on narcotics? I know it is easy for someone else to give advise and I have great support from my DH and my parents to help with the kids during and after surgery, but this is what I would do! I am going to miss my daughter's middle school orientation, which is disappointing, but I am sure there is always something I would miss if I scheduled it differently.
Best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers!
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM

I am sorry for the pain I am where you are I guage the bad days and take pain meds accordingly. You will make it if you put hen your mind to it. But if the pain gets tooo bad get the surgery you need to take care of you. Then you will fell better to take care of your family
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Thank you. I do feel better mentally today. DH thinks I should just go ahead and have the surgery, and we will do whatever we need to to get through. My dr will do it whenever I want, too (and would rather do it sooner). I just still feel like I want to get things lined up better for my kids, wait until we can have some help, and give DH a break before he takes several more days off work. He has already been out a lot this summer because SIL passed away.

I feel more in control of the decision now that I have looked at it and realized it really is my choice whether to wait or not. Right now I still want to wait because I think I will stress out less after surgery (so less risk of doing too much too soon), but I know that if I really can't take it I can go sooner. DH and I also talked to my doctor, and she was very adamant about me taking the pain meds if I need them, so I feel a little more comfortable doing that.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register