Scheduled LAVH Question about being home. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about being home. Question about being home.

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Question about being home.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday morning. I will stay Monday night and possibly Tuesday night as well. Hubby has taken off a few days to take care of me. He's going back to work on Friday so the only person who'll be home with me then is my 18 year old son. I know this is a weird question but will I be able to go to the bathroom by myself by then? I would hate to have to ask my son to help me. It would be humiliating for both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Re: Question about being home.

Kward -

One thing you can do is place a chair in the bathroom so you can use the back of it to help you up. I did that and it helped immensely.

Depending on how you feel from the narcotics you may want him to be around to help you to and from the bathroom if you feel unsteady on your feet.

G.
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM

I had LAVH 9 1/2 weeks ago. My husband stayed home with me 2 days and then I was home by myself and did fine. Just as an FYI about going to the bathroom. They took my cathater out the night of surgery and I started getting up and going to the bathroom by myself that night. So, hopefully, you'll be OK getting up and going on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Definitely ok to go to the bathroom by yourself after you get out of the hospital. I did not tolerate the pain meds wel and threw up a lot. Hope your son knows where the throw up bucket is and doesn't mind cleaning it out! Have all your stuff (food, clothes, books, motrin/tylenol, etc) in one place and explain to your son where it is and what you will want beforehand. You will also want help with vacuuming and laundry so make sure he knows 'your system' when you can't get off the couch (or don't want to!).
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:53 AM

I had a Tah/Bso and hubby was home for 2 days with me also. I did fine. He set up a dinner tray table next to our bed with remote and water pitcher from hospital so I would only have to get up when I absolutely needed to. Some snacks are a good think to have close by as well, and of course your pain meds.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM

I had a TAH and only had someone with me the first 2 days too. No troubles going to the bathroom alone. My sink is right next to the toilet so I used that to pull myself up. I had a hard backed chair next to the couch for getting up on my own and that really helped.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM

I had a TAH on 05/03/10. My husband owns his own business and had to be there since he missed time to be with me at the hospital. My elderly mother lives with us and she was a help too.

But seriously, I didn't need any help. We have to move! I would get up to walk around the house and with one movement, my mom would ask what I needed, where I was going. After two weeks it got really annoying, but I knew she was trying to be helpful.

We have a multi-level home, so I put a few items (Toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, lotion) in a basket on the counter in our first floor bathroom. I kept some pads (Only needed those for a few days!) under the sink. I had NO problem going to the bathroom on my own. (Bowel movements are another story, but nobody can help you witht those.) I even found the stairs to be tolerable.

It will be MORE than fine!! All my best to you!!
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM

I agree with the chair.....I had one for the bathroom (that I planned to move to the shower). The bathroom was fine....but the shower was exhausting!! I'd have a chair right outside your shower....

And plan on your shower/blowdrying hair/curling/straightening to take a few hours the first week or two.....I took a shower...then rested....then blowdried my hair....then rested....the straightened....then rested....
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM

They may just have to look at me without my hair fixed and without makeup on for a bit. I'm off work for the next 8 weeks.
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
They may just have to look at me without my hair fixed and without makeup on for a bit. I'm off work for the next 8 weeks.
I remember reading advice from another princess saying once you start wearing makeup and have your hair fixed, people stop pampering you! So, hold off on that as long as you can! LOL!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register