5 weeks out and still cant exercise | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks out and still cant exercise 5 weeks out and still cant exercise

Unread 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
5 weeks out and still cant exercise

Everytime I try to exercise it makes me so hot afterwards and I feel light headed. Is this normal. I end up hurting for days afterwards and am not able to do much. How much should I push myself, should I keep exercising and if so for how long and how often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Re: 5 weeks out and still cant exercise

At 5 weeks out, you shouldn't be exercising! Give it AT LEAST another week before you do more than a moderate walk. You have so much healing going on inside that still needs to be done. As for pushing it, don't! You want to heal correctly the first time so you don't end up with another surgery because of damage from over doing it.

Relax, there will be time to workout soon enough!

(I am itching to get moving too...I can't wait to hit the asphalt again, but another 2 weeks at least for me!)
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
5 weeks out and still cant exercise

I have felt lucky to be able to ride my bike more and more. I tried a short ride at two weeks and felt okay but it seemed risky to do it much then when I thought about what would happen if I fell off or had a mishap. Last week I rode a little more and now I am feeling stable and solid riding around town. But I just know at six weeks I am not ready to go back to my dance class yet. And when I do, I am not going to be jumping around anytime soon, not the way I was just before surgery!

I still have the mental image of my abdomen as a quiche that isn't quite set. You don't want to throw the quiche in the back of the car and take it to the potluck before it has fully cooked or everything will just turn into a soupy mess on the drive. I don't want to do things that make it take longer to heal. Best of luck and be gentle so you only have to heal once!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM

My doctor told me not to do anything but walk until six weeks -- but that I should be walking every day, which I didn't always do except around the house. At my six week checkup, he cleared me to do whatever exercise I felt up to and told me it's OK to push myself "a bit" now. I'm at seven weeks and I'm up to walking about 2 miles/day, but I haven't tried anything else yet. I think it's gonna be a loooong time before I feel like doing crunches!

Listen to your body. If you're getting light headed, stop. If you're hurting for days afterward, you're doing too much. Are you seeing your doctor at six weeks for a follow-up? You could ask him/her about exercise then.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM

I go to see my doctor next week at my 6 week follow up. I think you are right, I noticed if I do too much during the day my belly swells up and I feel the pain. I guess Im over doing it and need to relax. I just am so depressed, I cant fit into any clothes cause my belly is so swollen, all I can wear are my gowns and I cant even wear sweat pants because the elastic hurts me so bad. I guess I just expect to be back to normal right now and not giving it time. Thanks you guys for the support
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Hugs! It is so very frustrating.!
As some wonderful sister on here said "your body has one time to heal". It is so true.
I thought I could exercise after 6 weeks and it is a big fat no, due to a bulding disc and arthritis.

I am only 6 weeks out too. Our bodies have been through a lot. Hang in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register