How soon back to work w/o restrictions with total vaginal hysterectomy? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon back to work w/o restrictions with total vaginal hysterectomy? How soon back to work w/o restrictions with total vaginal hysterectomy?

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:08 AM
How soon back to work w/o restrictions with total vaginal hysterectomy?

I am a special education teacher. I have scheduled off 3 days then we have Thanksgiving break. I know that no one "knows" what my surgery will be like or what may happen differently but if all goes as planned how long should I be off before returning to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Re: How soon back to work w/o restrictions with TVH?

Your best bet is to talk to our dr. Let him/her know what your job involves and how soon you would like to go back, they can probably give you a good idea of what is the earliest possible and what would most likely be the longest. Hope you have a smooth surgery and easy recovery!
Unread 11-09-2014, 09:20 AM

I had a TVH. At 2 weeks I was released for office type work and told to slowly start liberalizing my 10 lb lifting restriction. I was fully released at 5 weeks. Others have had lifting restrictions for a full 6 weeks. I don't know how physicall your job is, but do be careful going back. Although I was partially cleared at 2 wks, my job didn't let me return until 5 wks. Your own Dr can advise you but be very specific about the details of your job so you can get a realistic date. Best wishes for an easy recovery and smooth return to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Hmmm. . .I work in a 100 year old building that is 3 stories. My job is pretty physical as I often have to run after students that wander or don't listen. . . I will ask at my pre op and discuss with my doctor again post procedure.
Unread 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM

I had LAVH and was told to take 3 weeks off. My doctor knew I had an office job so was advised to call back at end of 2 weeks to see progress. I was told it was okay to go back at that time but to be careful and if needed to leave early, rest as needed etc. I still have lift restriction. From the varied posts throughout this site it seems that each woman gets different advice based on their circumstances so it is important to have good discussions with your doctor about your situation in advance and have a back up plan if possible just in case.
Unread 11-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally my Dr told me that I could go back to work part time on week 3 and full time on week 4. At my pre-op appointment he told me I could drive on day 4-5 as long as I wasn't taking narcotics and that I could go back to work on day 10-14. I am restricted to lifting less that 5 pounds for 2 weeks and then 20 pounds until week 6.
Unread 11-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Speak to your principal.

If you want to save your sick days and your principal is willing, it's cheaper for them to pay a substitute aide to follow you around when you can't chase kids rather than pay a sub for you.
Unread 11-09-2014, 08:56 PM

My doctor said I could go back to my office job at two weeks part time and then at four weeks full time. Since part time work and short term disability were equal pay I took 4 weeks off. I am glad I had four weeks off. You will tire easy after surgery as you continue to heal. My doctor told me at my pre-op appointment that when I went back at four weeks I would be really tired by the end of the work day and would not be able to do all the things I was used to doing in the evening because I would be tired. She was right. My lifting restriction was nothing heavier than 10 lbs for six weeks. In addition to my office job I waitress on the weekends and was not cleared for that until six weeks because that required lifting. Best wishes on your surgery an recovery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register