Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Question

Hello everyone. I am schedule for TVH on 8/3. What I am wondering is suggentions on how to plan for my return home. Has anyone done a schedule or have any ideas for multiple people helping to care you when you returned home. Also any other great ideas to help me feel at ease would be most helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Question

Hi there.

My DH had the week off after my surgery although I was pretty active and didnt feel like being too much of a couch potato. However if you have the opportunity to rest and heal right then do so and get as much help to do the normal household things for a couple of weeks.

Im a pretty self sufficient person so it came hard to let others do stuff and am glad now that i am able to get independence back remembering that if there is any pain to stop whatever it is Im doing!

Take care
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Question

Are you on your own? Or do you have another person that lives with you?

I had TVH on a Monday, home Wednesday, and my DH and two older sons had to go to a family event on the Friday. I had my 11YO home with me.

I felt pretty good, but he had to fend for himself for breakfast and lunch ( which he does anyway) and we ordered enough Chinese food in to do us for the whole weekend.

House stuff just didn't get done -- but I was able to look after feeding myself (love those frozen meals) and get tea if I needed it.

I was lucky, I had little pain after the surgery and what I did have was dealt with by OTC pain meds.

You should have someone stay with you the first night home -- and someone on call to come and get you if an emergency arises ( just to be on the safe side). I don't know what kind of meds you will come home with -- but if you are still on narcotic meds, it would be good to have someone check in with you a couple of times a day.

Get someone to come and clean your house periodically -- if you are like most of us, that is the thing that will drive you crazy. Lint on the floor or dirty dishes -- and you really have to take it easy the first couple of weeks. Follow the lifting restrictions for the whole 6 weeks.
Without the abdominal stitches, you will feel mobile a bit sooner than the TAH ladies.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 06:28 AM
Question

If you have alot of family, friends, or neighbors who want to cook for you or help you in some way it's a good idea to assign one person to coordinate. She can contact people for their date to cook/shop etc. so you don't get five meals the 2nd day and none the 5th.

Also - After my surgery for the first few days I kept a daily update on my cell phone's voice mail for people. That way you don't spend all day on the phone giving people information and you don't get overwhelmed with too many people or too much 'help'.

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Question

Thank you for your suggestions. I do have my husband and my 5 yr and 9 yr old daughters. My 9 yr old is going to stay home but she would still be limited on what she can do. My husband has to work as we took a large vacation this year and he just not have the time available. He already will have to take the day I go for surgery and the day I come home. I like the suggestion on pointing someone as the go to. I will have to think about who to appoint to that high honor.
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Question

I had a TVH on Monday and came home on Tuesday evening. I've noticed that I need my kids to do little things for me like refill my water bottle. I did too much on Wednesday and I was in a lot of pain on Wed. evening. I'm feeling better today and there's laundry to do, but I'll just supervise and let my kids actually do it!! My DH took the week off, so he's here to make sure I stay down. (I learned my lesson yesterday!!) With a TVH, since you don't have the incision, it's important to remember that you still had major surgery and there are hundreds of stitches inside. Do not overdo it!!

Michelle

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register