What to do with kids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with kids? What to do with kids?

Unread 03-11-2004, 07:48 PM
What to do with kids?

Just a question as I'm looking ahead. My surgery isn't until May but I am already wondering what to do with the kids. I have two kids, 5 and 6. My husband will be a great help for the weekend but when Monday rolls around and the new work week...then what. Anyone have good ideas on how to keep Thing 1 and Thing 2 (affectionately called) busy while I try to take it easy??? What am I going to do 4 days later and at home by myself. No family in town. hmmm And secondly, can I drive 4 days later to run back and forth to kindergarten? How does anyone arrange all these things. It sure must be nice to be a guy...they just up and go on vacations and up and go get sick and just don't need to tend to all the child care issues and schedules. Wish I could just up and go have surgery! thanks in advance for any ideas and for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2004, 07:54 PM
What to do with kids?

I had to manage the household chores and it wasnt easy ..I would suggest freezing meals , stocking u on pasta and jars of sauce... sausages ... chicken wings to nuke .. fruit ..

My kids too are still young and my family took them for a week biut there after they had to return to home base .

mei
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:12 PM
What to do with kids?

My son was born right beofre my hyst. Both of us recovered and hurt at the same time.Having a newborn and hyst problems was a trick. My husband helped with the cooking and errands.He even took tursn on night duty.I let most of the household chores go. Have your husband help as much has he can. RESt . nd let the houkse go for a whlie. Let your little ones do little cleaning and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2004, 08:29 PM
For RunningGal

At a time like this you just have to be brave and ASK for help.Ask someone in your neighborhood or another mother of your Kids class, etc... Another Mom could transport your children to school for a couple weeks or they could take turns I'm sure.. Ask the teacher if she can help find some moms who would help.. I feel fo ya, because it won't be easy if you have to deal with kids 4 days post-op (little ones).. Just line up people to babysit and maybe brign meals, drive kids to school, etc... Or could you perhaps hire a young adult of older teen to babysit in the afternoon /evenings and prepare meals, supervise baths, etc... It would be well worth the money I'm sure.. LIne all this up now while you have a little energy and your mind is clear and not on pain medicine... Good luck with all. I wish we gals on this board could all take turns if we all lived close together. Kathie
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:48 PM
What to do with kids?

I agree with what Kathie said. You will have to get someone to drive your kids till you are off narcotic pain pills and can stomp on the brake if you have to. I would estimate at least 8 days. I was doing well after surgery then 6 days post op my 7 yr old got stomach flu and diarrhea (all over in the middle of the night). My dh was unavailable. I was able to clean it all up being on pain pills, but when I needed rest the next few days was soooo glad my 2 yr old was gone for the day.

What I am trying to say is in the event something goes less smoothly than you planned (with yourself or other family members) it will be important to have someone lined up to help! And if you are in pain or feeling awful even a good kid can be very annoying!

Good luck! Flowerpower
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:56 PM
What to do with kids?

Do you go to church? There are a wonderful group of women at my church that are taking care of everything. I am sure that you have had people say "Is there anything I can do for you?". I have had so many people ask me but it is so so so hard to say yes. I have a friend who is cooridinating it all for me. When someone asks if they can help I give their name and number to my friend and she is taking care of it. She is orginizing meals, and play dates for my kids.

My surgery is scheduled for 3/31/04. My mom is comming in from out of town for a week and My husband is taking the second week off of work.

You could ask a friend to coordinate for you.
Unread 03-11-2004, 09:10 PM
What to do with kids?

I'm 6 days post-op today. Before I went in I lined up my helpers. Friends, neighbors and other Moms from my DD's class were very willing to help out with transportation and special play dates. They were kind enough to bring food over also.

For some one-on-one time, we made a special trip to the library to pick out stacks of books and movies I could share with her while resting in bed. So far things have gone pretty well. Five-year old DD is ready for me to be up and about and doesn't really understand why I'm not all better yet. She thinks she should be in charge while I'm in bed. I had to kindly remind her that just because I'm in bed doesn't mean that I'm not in charge. They always test!

Don't be guilted into doing too much too soon. I had to put my foot down a couple days after being home. You'll need rest to heal and recover as fast as possible for no set-backs. My thoughts and prayers are with you for surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register