Surgery Monday and scared to death! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Monday and scared to death! Surgery Monday and scared to death!

Unread 08-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Surgery Monday and scared to death!

Well monday is surgery day and im growing more and more nervous. I keep telling myself that i am going to be ok, and that i am going to feel so much better when this is done and over with, but no matter what i tell myself im still super scared. Im scared of NOT waking up after the surgery, im afraid something WILL go wrong during the surgery, and im just scared in general. I know i need to do this, but im scared. My husband and my mom keep telling me everything will be fine, but at the rate things have been going wrong around here lately, im freaking out. Im only 25, and i have three kids, a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a 3 month old....i think that is a big reason that i am so worried about something going wrong. Im going to pack my hospital bag tomorrow, i have to be at the hospital at 715 am monday morning. Hope that you are all having a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Re: Surgery Monday and scared to death!

Hi Sarah Jean!! I was just like you, scared to death! I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on the 19th of August, and let me tell you that the waiting is definatley the hardest part. Everyone was telling me how good I would feel after, but I was so worried about the surgery. I had several panic attacks and no matter who tries to calm me down, it never worked. Well the surgery went well! I can tell you for me, more than anything else, before was the worst. After you will hurt, but its not as bad as I was expecting at all. Take time to relax, and take deep breaths! You will do just fine. Keep us posted!
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM

I hope that you are right, i have been having the panic attacks and they are no fun at all. i just keep trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of things a little and it kinda helps. Im having a Laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy on monday and just the thought of it freaks me out. I survived my c-section, and i was awake for it but i dont remember being this scared and that was only a few months ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Hi, I know what you mean. My surgery is the day after yours and I'm scared because of the pain I hear you have afterwards. I'm not scared of the surgery itself, only the pain after. I hope I'm as lucky as some women and don't have a lot of pain. Good luck to you and I will say a prayer for you and yours.

Dawn
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Ladies, the fear beforehand is soooo much worse than the recovery. I have three older kids and I really had to stop myself writing them each a letter in case I didn't make it. Now that would have freaked them out. Anyway, when I woke up from surgery I was just soooo elated to be alive.

There was pain after the surgery but it truly was never as bad as I thought it would be and it was handled pretty well by medication. Bowel movements were my biggest problem post surgery so make sure and have stool softeners on hand and take two a day when you get home and Milk of Mag for further help if needed.

I'm sure you will do wonderfully and will be posting here in the post op section next week.

Sending good energy you way.
Hugs.
Unread 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I hope we all have fast, easy recoveries.

Dawn
Unread 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Hey girls! I know you all are apprehensive, but it really is not as bad as what you are expecting. My LAVH was on the 11th. I had a history of endometriosis and was terrified of coming out with a colostomy or something of the like. I mean terrified. Panic attacks, come close to a nervous breakdown. I was not afraid of an abdominal cut or any of that stuff. I was expecting it with my history. I got the attitude on the cut that if I woke up with it being laproscopic that I was having a better day that I thought I would. I was just freaking for no reason. My Doc rolled up a paper and lightly popped me on the head and said "you been thinking too much, quit worrying". Just get ahold of yourselves. It really is not that bad. There will be some pain, but they will give you pain meds for that. They will take care of your pains so do not worry about such. You will probably have some gas pains from the surgery, my gas pains hurt worse than the surgery pains. Rolling over in bed, setting up or walking helps to break that up. You can also take some simethicone. The Doctors are used to surgery. They are all capable of taking care of anything they find and they will look out for you. I do recommend using the stool softeners and whatever else you prefer to keep the bowel moving smoothly, even if they are a little loose is better than a little too formed at first.

Be sure to have something to occupy you...books, tv, laptop, bag of chocolate or whatever you like. Just relax. In a couple weeks you will look back saying you panicked for nothing, as it will be behind you then.

Unread 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Hi Sarah Jean!
Thank you for your reply to ME. I'm really, really scared too. I also have 3 children, 3,7 and 9. I've never had a c-section. Heck, I don't even have my EARS pierced. I truly can relate to the fear you're experiencing. I'm sorry. I think we'll be ok! I will be thinking about you on Monday!!! BIG HUGS!
Unread 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM

I am having a tvh with posterior repair monday and am suppose to be there 545 surgery 715 home by 2pm if everything goes well. I am worried because i am a smoker of 1 pack a day for 15 yrs but i am not smokinf 46 hours b4 sugery
Unread 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Hi Sarah,
I too was scared for the week prior to the surgery but felt some calm the day before. I'm an RN working in Day Surgery. I had the surgery in my hospital. Even though I know without a doubt that me myself have taken care of many, many hysterectomy patients and have NEVER lost one didn't make me feel any better at first. I told my co-workers that I was kind of disappointed in myself for being scared. After all this is what I do for a living. Any one of them that had had surgery felt the same exact way. It's fear of the unknown.
You will do fine. You will wake up, see your hubby's face, hear him to tell you how the kids are and it will all be OVER. No complications noted! Visualize that and take some calming breaths. You will be fine.
Best to you.
Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register